Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Journalism majors represent. Especially since we’re all ready outdated. I’m still in school and even worse I’m a print journalism major.

Anyway, I only skimmed this thread because I hear too much about the media every day.

There are a LOT of problems with the main stream media, especially in its dieing days. The lack of money means it’s only going to get worse. There’s going to be less and less staff which means less reporters covering more stories without time to fact check or dig deeper. It also means they’re more likely to copy-and-paste from press releases. They’ll also accept press conferences staged by the government. Even more, the competitive aspects of the industry stress urgency which also leads to a lot of misinformation.

The thing you have to remember about the media is that it doesn’t exist for you.

Television, newspapers, magazines, etc all exist to deliver advertisements to us. Sometimes the line between news and business is easy to see, sometimes it gets blurred. The LA Times has a bad track record of this.

I attended a lecture by Kevin Klose who spent 10 years as the president of NPR. He said NPR has the best news coverage because all their money goes back into supporting their news team. Everyone else has to pay investors and stockholders and find new ways to advertise.

The MSM is not bad because of bias, but because it’s not fulfilling it’s purpose of existing to inform people. It’s priorities aren’t straight.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!