Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

SuperMo0 Posted:

(I like how the URL for this is at goldaccounts.forumwarz.com. RUMOR MILL ENGAGE)

Explanation time: I use extremely long periods of time for caching, like a year into the future. This is to speed up the site because for 95%+ of the images or javascript or stylesheets you won’t even make a request to the server. The downside is, when I update something nobody will know, so I basically change the name of the subdomain that static content is served from when there is an update.

Sometimes I use the dates like feb6.forumwarz.com or whatever, but once in a while I put in jokes. People were joking about gold accounts this week so I chose that name Log in to see images!, now back to the topic:

SuperMo0 Posted:

On the other hand, my least favorite one is the Ron Paul avatar. I’m not even going to post the picture in this thread, because within 5 posts someone using it will come in here with it.

You might be interested to know that we launched without Ron Paul. During the Beta for Forumwarz we didn’t allow anyone to upload avatars, and people were begging for it. One guy asked over and over if we could add a Ron Paul troll avatar, and I said as long as he found a public domain one I would. Of course ten seconds later he went to Wikipedia and found one, so I made good on my promise and inserted it into the game for everyone to use.

It quickly became the most popular.

The second most popular avatar is Red/Green/Red/Green, which also has a story behind it. Most of our avatars are from a stock photo site where we bought the rights to use them for web, but that one was custom made.

I’m Red/Green colorblind, and during one of the early Crotch Zombie meetings when we were planning Forumwarz, The Other Other Hole filed a bug asking for an avatar that would just flash red and green constantly. I don’t think he seriously expected me to do it, though…

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!