Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve never played this series but it’s getting a lot of love. Which one should I check out first?

Well, most of them are turn-based JRPGs so dunno if that’s your thing. Nearly all of the officially translated ones are on PS2, but if you’re into ROMs (and unforgiving games) the first 2 are on SNES, and have been fan-translated.

Nocturne is IMO the best of them, you have one main character and can recruit nearly any common enemy as a party member, then fuse them together later (the SMT series did this way before Pokemon by the way Log in to see images!). The world ends in the first 10 minutes of the game, and you can choose one of 3 philosophies for recreating it. Or kill it again, your choice. Easily the most unforgiving, but also the most rewarding PS2 SMT game. I’m talking ‘You enter a fight. Enemies go first. You don’t have the right resistances set. You get horribly raped. Your fault, stupid.’ It’s possible to die in the very first scripted fight if you’re unlucky. Nocturne kicks your bum over and over mercilessly, but I loved it and always came back for more.

Digital Devil Saga has a similar combat system to Nocturne, but has predefined characters which get far more plot and skill development, and the recruiting aspect is gone. The game gets difficult later on, but the learning curve is a lot friendlier to start off. The story is very good IMO, however the first game ends on a cliffhanger, effectively forcing you to buy the 2nd. Log in to see images!

I’ve heard a LOT of good things about Persona 3 (beat out Mbum Effect for RPG of the year in quite a few gaming publications), but being broke, I still haven’t bought the game yet so I can’t tell you much about it.

Hope that helps! Log in to see images! Something_Witty edited this message on 06/16/2008 2:38PM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!