Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Ryouga Inver-
se

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

Ryouga Inverse Posted:

dongs Posted:

Thanks for this, I always love looking at behind-the-scenes stuff. Do you know if you guys have produced the first browser game… on rails?

I’m pretty sure there’ve been a couple other RoR games. Whether or not they succeeded is another story.

A lot of people consider RoR pretty slow (“Ruby on Snails” is a common turn of phrase) but I don’t think it seems that slow here Log in to see images! I think once it’s loaded up it’s just as fast as anything else.

I’ve been designing a browser game in my spare time that I plan on writing in Ruby. It’s a very nice language for almost any application.

There was a game called Unroll (llor.nu), but I’ve never been able to play it because it always seems to be down. The guy who created that now has a start up dedicated to making games in Rails, but I think they’re focusing on the educational market.

Ruby is actually a slow language, there’s no doubt about that. Metrics don’t like. But nobody codes an app in Rails so that it’ll run fast. The beauty of Rails in my opinion is the speed to develop things. I can knock out features in just a few hours of code.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that it’s usually not the scripting language that causes a web app to be slow, it’s the database. Rails is process based so you could throw another front end server at it to handle twice as many requests at once. However, when those requests contend for the database, you’ll find yourself in a bottleneck Log in to see images!

Oh, definitely. Ruby is a beautiful language and it’s most certainly my favorite to code in. I’ll take that over speed any day. Log in to see images!

If you guys ever need someone to help on this, I’d love to join in. It doesn’t look like you’re having too many problems acquiring more users. Log in to see images! Ryouga Inverse edited this message on 11/20/2007 7:38PM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!