Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

xxSpectralTearsxx Posted:

I suppose each conversation option selected by the user is just eval’d to produce a response?

Basically, yes. Each character you talk to is bumociated with a script. You pbum a symbol to the conversations controller which loads that script, initializes it with some variables and then uses “send” to execute the code for that symbol.

Of course since the method name is coming from the user it’s heavily mbumaged. I make sure it’s not a Kernel or Object method, and that it doesn’t have any arguments.

The calls like actor_says just fill up arrays, and when the response is ready to send back they’re converted into HTML elements that a Javascript runtime parses.

Have you considered Open Sourcing or otherwise allowing us nerds to take a deeper peek into the source?

I’ve considered open sourcing parts of it. I mean most of the code is just the typical kind of glue you see in web apps. There are a few interesting components like this conversation editor, but I’m not sure how useful it would be to other projects.

The text adventure engine works on very similar principles, it has its own DSL, and at today’s meeting Jalapeno said maybe I should open source it and have a contest for people to create adventure games for episode 2 Log in to see images!. I could see myself releasing that because it’s a fairly simple and isolated piece, but honestly, as someone pointed out in the contest thread, it’s quite lacking. There are many better open source text adventure engines, the only advantage this one has is it’s easy to play in a web browser!

Alternatively, do you ever see yourself looking for help with maintaining/extending the codebase?

Eventually if Forumwarz continues to grow and we can afford it, yes.

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/19/2007 12:12AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!