Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help Problems with Half-Life 2

Agent Smith

[The Gentlemans Club]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Hello.

I just got the Orange Box for my birthday. The problem is, I don’t know whether Half-life 2 will run on my computer. When I downloaded the free trial, the game ran, but after I started a new game, the opening video froze within 10 seconds (I’m not sure whether the video froze completely or just looped, since it was just after it had faded to black, but the audio looped and I had to close the program). I don’t want to open up the box yet, since I don’t know if I’ll be able to play it.

I’m running a Compaq Presario with Windows Vista Home Premium. It has an Intel Pentium Dual Processor CPU with 1.6 GHz. I have 1014MB of RAM. The graphics card is an Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family.

So what’s wrong? Is my computer incompatible with or not powerful enough for Half-Life 2? Is there some fix that I can apply? Do I need a driver or something? I don’t want to miss out on HL2. Someone, HELP! Log in to see images!

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

That RAM and gigahertz will definitely work, but I don’t know about the graphics card or drivers. Besides that, you seem good to go.

There’s a website for this, but I forgot what it’s called. It’s really cool though, it tells you all of your computers specs and what you could or could not run, on a percentage scale.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Nope you can run it. I played and beat HL2 for the first time on an 800Mhz celeron processor with 512 megs of ram and a radeon 9250 video card. Solid 22 frames per second on medium.

you’ve got a REALLY **** video card, though. In fact, HL2 should barely run at all.

You’ll need a new video card to play portal and friends.

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 06/24/2008 10:31PM

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

Nope you can run it. I played and beat HL2 for the first time on an 800Mhz celeron processor with 512 megs of ram and a radeon 9250 video card. Solid 22 frames per second on medium.

you’ve got a REALLY **** video card, though. In fact, HL2 should barely run at all.

You’ll need a new video card to play portal and friends.

ITT: Tubsweetie repeats what I already said without mentioning the sweet website.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

TeeKayEff Posted:

ITT: Tubsweetie repeats what I already said without mentioning the sweet website.

You typed too fast. By the time i finished my post yours was already there.

I don’t like systemrequirementslab.com because it can be bizarrely weird sometimes.

Agent Smith

[The Gentlemans Club]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Systemrequirementslab.com said that I met all the requirements, but fell short of the recommendations for the graphics card. The two cards that it recommended, an NVIDIA GeForce 7900+ or an ATI Radeon X1900+, seem to be extraordinarily expensive, almost as much as the computer. Does anyone know where I could get a pbumable graphics card (that would run the Orange Box at a decent rate) that would cost less than $100?

Agent Smith edited this message on 06/24/2008 11:28PM

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

An 8600GT is 50 bucks and will run all orange box games on high.

promo deal, but there are always sales on video cards everywhere:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23715&promoid=1060

Since you don’t sound like a hardcore gamer who need extreme performance at max specs, an 8600 is perfectly suited for you.

Oh and what did I say about bizarrely weird? Recommending a 7900 nowadays is like suggesting someone buy a CRT television.

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 06/25/2008 2:41AM

Agent Smith

[The Gentlemans Club]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

An 8600GT is 50 bucks and will run all orange box games on high.

promo deal, but there are always sales on video cards everywhere:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23715&promoid=1060

Since you don’t sound like a hardcore gamer who need extreme performance at max specs, an 8600 is perfectly suited for you.

Oh and what did I say about bizarrely weird? Recommending a 7900 nowadays is like suggesting someone buy a CRT television.

Thanks, I just bought one from the link you gave. Problem solved.

Tangolho

[Team Shortbus]

Level 24 Troll

The Repeater

Now have fun with those beautifull games.

Draconos

Level 15 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

You typed too fast. By the time i finished my post yours was already there.

I don’t like systemrequirementslab.com because it can be bizarrely weird sometimes.

Yeah, system requirments lab has told me I can’t run games while I am currently playing them on my laptop. It dosen’t seem to be 100% accurate. Intel cards suck though, as I have one and it barley runs anything.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

Agent Smith Posted:

Thanks, I just bought one from the link you gave. Problem solved.

Sweet!

Budget gaming has come such a long way. It used to be that to get good graphics you’d need to spend ludicrous money.

Now there’s budget lines like the 8600 that’ll play anything on medium or high at decent resolution for minimal cost.

Then higher end budget is good, too. 9600GT and the like are ~200 bucks and play nearly every game ever made in the history of the world in max specs.

I love my computer. 8800GT + Q6600 are a killer combo at a low price point. There’s better nowadays but when I bought it earlier this year it was pretty much the best deal on the market.

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

You should play TF2 so I can jump your bum ;3

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!