Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 I'm developing a roguelike

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

Yep! My recent rediscovered obsession with ADOM has compelled me to return to an old dream project of mine and create an epic large-scale roguelike game.

ITT I will share my progress, trials, and tribulations. When I get around to creating working bits of code I can share them with you guys. I’m making it in C++ & SDL, fyi.

I will also be taking suggestions here. Anything from all-encompbuming game mechanics to specific items, artifacts, and buffs/spells. Please don’t **** this thread up with crap suggestions, but don’t be afraid to speak up and tell me your idea either.

The theme and feel I’m going for is kind of wacky/comedic but also with some genuinely freaky horror elements. In a medieval-ish fantasy setting I guess, but you don’t have to stick TOO much to that, there can be the occasional more modern thing.

EXAMPLES OF GOOD IDEAS:

– a grenade with fairies in it

– a stone glove artifact that acts like battletoads – on critical hits it turns into a giant anvil/something and bashes the **** out of enemies (downside is you have to be fighting barehanded for it to work)

– a wrestler clbum that deals extra damage when wielding chairs

– dungeons made of flesh that slowly digest the character and any monsters inside, and reacts to being dug into and such.

Obviously not all of the good ideas that will be forthcoming will make it in, but at the very least the brainstorming is a big help. Sometime later i’ll comment on where I am in the development right now. It’s going to be an extremely long arduous process and I’m hoping to use this thread as motivation and incentive, so if you see it go inactive for a while, bump it up and ask me what the ****!

That’s it

Love,

BoP

Tangolho

[Team Shortbus]

Level 24 Troll

The Repeater

Wow, I surely will subscribe to this thread.

Good luck with the programing, and have fun with it.

Btw will it be a fantasy medival game? Or some sort of difrent game? I always tought a fantasy futuristic game in a post apocaliptical enviroment would be cool.

Esperanza

Level 21 Emo Kid

You got BP? I will let you put it in my bum.

A vial of water that can be thrown at dragons to make them stop breathing fire.

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

Tangolho Posted:

I always tought a fantasy futuristic game in a post apocaliptical enviroment would be cool.

Shin Megami Tensei much?

Cool idea BoP, if I ever become inspired I’ll be sure to suggest some stuff.

DEAD FAGGOT edited this message on 06/15/2008 5:50PM

Tangolho

[Team Shortbus]

Level 24 Troll

The Repeater

SG94 Posted:

Shin Megami Tensei much?

Cool idea BoP, if I ever become inspired I’ll be sure to suggest some stuff.

Never heard of that Shin Megami Tensei, Ill try to find more about it…

Lady Macbeth

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

RUST ARMOR

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Tangolho Posted:

Wow, I surely will subscribe to this thread.

Good luck with the programing, and have fun with it.

Btw will it be a fantasy medival game? Or some sort of difrent game? I always tought a fantasy futuristic game in a post apocaliptical enviroment would be cool.

well, i haven’t really settled down on any kind of distinct style yet. as i said in the OP i’m leaning towards a general theme of medieval fantasy, but not TOO locked into it.

I’m willing to consider completely different scenarios, i’ll be thinking about it. Right now I’m just working on getting the graphics to work so I have something to work with Log in to see images!

Janie

[SRSLY]

Level 25 Emo Kid

I... HAERT TEH FIREFOX TOO!

OK, 2 things to add:

A fairy full of grenades

A game set in a post-apocolyptic Post Office

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

A monster that rapes you and makes you pregnant.

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

Jesus. Well, hopefully you won’t be *too* disheartened by the fact that ADoM took like seven years to make, right?

I think it would be wise to get a working prototype as quickly as possible. You want to be able to see the results immediately, it will be difficult to motivate yourself if you can’t try out your code while you’re working with it. I’m going to think about this some more and hopefully I can come with some real suggestions later.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Nillo Posted:

Jesus. Well, hopefully you won’t be *too* disheartened by the fact that ADoM took like seven years to make, right?

I think it would be wise to get a working prototype as quickly as possible. You want to be able to see the results immediately, it will be difficult to motivate yourself if you can’t try out your code while you’re working with it. I’m going to think about this some more and hopefully I can come with some real suggestions later.

That’s my first priority Log in to see images! Right now my ONLY goals are making an extremely rudimentary map generator, control system, and graphic engine set up. Once I have that and I can actually walk around my little dungeon I’m going to do some work on a random map generator that I can be happy with. I’ll figure it out from there.

But every step, I absolutely have to be able to test it as soon as possible. That’s the only way I’ll be able to keep myself going.

edit

Big Brother Posted:

i like this Log in to see images! BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/15/2008 5:59PM

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

ALSO A male reproductive organSUCKING ****WAD

Big Brother Posted:

Can the baby be a cannibal that eats its way out of your womb, or in the case of male characters, your colon?

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

The ForumWarz moderators as optional/final bosses plz.

I want to be a monster too, but I’ll settle for the mods.

Also good luck, I support this as I fell in love with ADoM and other RLs too.

Johnny Mac edited this message on 06/15/2008 6:12PM

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

DOPE-HARDCORE-0 Posted:

Can the baby be a cannibal that eats its way out of your womb, or in the case of male characters, your colon?

I’m envisioning demonic pregnancy as a very bad thing for a lawful (your god will shun you, and the baby will eat it’s way out/attack you when it’s born. It wouldn’t be quite so bad for a chaotic though (or, if i opt not to go with the clbumic lawful/chaotic system, it could be good for someone who is pledged/affiliated with the underworld in some way, since you could get a powerful loyal pet out of it.

In any case, hunger costs would be doubled (you’re eating for the baby too) and it would add to your weight as well. maybe miscarriages?

perhaps it would be very difficult to happen unless you willingly offer yourself up to him, which would balance it somewhat towards the lawfuls.

But hey, why am i obsessing about some potential complicated feature now? one step at a time Log in to see images!

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Instead of lawful/chaotic, good/evil, do pirate/ninja, Conservative/Liberal.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

Big Brother Posted:

Instead of lawful/chaotic, good/evil, do pirate/ninja, Conservative/Liberal.

A+ I agree with this

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Name some low level annoying enemy -God-.

SODOMY KING

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

1:

was Posted:

Name some low level annoying enemy -God-.

Haha

2:

Rick Ashley Posted:

A boss type level. The boss level is just a single room with the single boss in the middle.

The boss will be Rick Astly. The only attacks he has is hand to hand. The only skil he has is called “Rick Roll” When he uses this skill a segment from the song plays.

It starts from the begging and goes to the end in maybe 5 seconds durations? The song itself just stuns you for about 3 seconds afterwards. The catch is, if he gets through the ENTIRE song. Right as he finishes it you recive 99999999 dmg and die.

BirdofPray Posted:

Please don’t **** this thread up with crap suggestions

3:

Big Brother Posted:

How about an enemy who’s special power is that it can delete your save files? You could come up with some sort of reason, like it “eats the threads of time” or something.

do you know what a roguelike is?

SODOMY KING edited this message on 06/15/2008 6:48PM

Rick Ashley

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

A boss type level. The boss level is just a single room with the single boss in the middle.

The boss will be Rick Astly. The only attacks he has is hand to hand. The only skil he has is called “Rick Roll” When he uses this skill a segment from the song plays.

It starts from the begging and goes to the end in maybe 5 seconds durations? The song itself just stuns you for about 3 seconds afterwards. The catch is, if he gets through the ENTIRE song. Right as he finishes it you recive 99999999 dmg and die.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

How about an enemy who’s special power is that it can delete your save files? You could come up with some sort of reason, like it “eats the threads of time” or something.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!