Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 I'm developing a roguelike

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

They’re like a title, but they give you different stats. Like 15-inch male reproductive organ would mean that when you use masturbate or enjoy or sex abilities, they’re more effective than if you had a 14 inch male reproductive organ.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

holy ****! the first screenshot! and it sucks bum!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4738/6692144114461195fb4.gif

Why the **** am I showing you a picture of an empty frame? Well, that’s actually an empty demo map, with empty space in the middle and stone walls surrounded the outside. It was mainly a test to see if SDL_TTF was going to serve my purposes, and it seems to be fine! I might hunt around for a better font and try to optimize that a little bit, but it works and that’s good enough for me right now.

and a snippet of the displaying code to show you guys the bull**** programmers have to deal with:

for (x = 0; x < MAXCOLUMNS; x++){
		for (y = 0; y < MAXROWS; y++){
			if (currentmap.mapgrid[x][y]->tile_type == WALL){
				c = "#";
			}
			else {
				c = " ";
			}
			offset.x = x * TILEWIDTH;
			offset.y = y * fontheight + fontheight * 2;
			character = TTF_RenderText_Shaded(font, c, color, bgcolor);

if (character == NULL){
				return 5;
			}
			SDL_BlitSurface(character, NULL, screen, &offset);
		}
	}
	SDL_FreeSurface(character);
	SDL_Flip(screen);

BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/18/2008 6:55AM

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

oh god I hated C++, I remember designing a very simple text-based game and it was painful as hell back in the day.

PS. Maybe you should red out the ‘created by’ line Log in to see images! Something_Witty edited this message on 06/18/2008 6:46AM

my_mother

Avatar: 43437 Sun Nov 23 19:27:56 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 16 Emo Kid

my woman's genitals smells like freedom

Stalked your screenshot BoP…discovered you have p nice taste in music…

<<<<Stalker Log in to see images!

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Something_Witty Posted:

oh god I hated C++, I remember designing a very simple text-based game and it was painful as hell back in the day.

PS. Maybe you should red out the ‘created by’ line Log in to see images!

lol good call Log in to see images!

Tangolho

[Team Shortbus]

Level 24 Troll

The Repeater

Btw, why not creat a family for the NPC he could even start the game there.

Ofc, it would be a good family with a alcoolic dad, the usualy beats the hell out off his wife and kids, a gay bro that trys to hump you, a crackhead hooker sister that you could pimp to get some extra money and a mother depressed mother always trying to comit suicide.

You could have the option to kill them ofc, but that would have to change the story line, for instance killing the father would lead the mother to kill her daughter and her self, whille the gay brother would get all the money and would hire people to get you so he could finaly (or maybe again) enjoy you in a good S&M way, Fritzl like.

Talking about Fritzl, had a secret basment to the house and create a “new” sister with alot of kids that are also their borthers.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

The only roguelike I’ve ever played to any extent was the doom one. So my first question is thus; how user friendly is it going to be? I know that personally I wouldn’t want to learn what each bumon on the keyboard does if I’m only going to be playing the game 5 minutes a day.

Secondly, mixing disturbing horror and comedy seems a bold choice. How drastic will the change in tone be? Will they mix together consistently, or will the game seem like two different games mashed together?

I realize that these may be difficult questions seeing as you’ve barely started development, but those are the two things that immediately popped into my head.

I know from experience how hard creating a colossal project and sticking with it is, especially when you’ve no experience with the language, so finally, good luck!

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

King Krimson Posted:

The only roguelike I’ve ever played to any extent was the doom one. So my first question is thus; how user friendly is it going to be? I know that personally I wouldn’t want to learn what each bumon on the keyboard does if I’m only going to be playing the game 5 minutes a day.

Well, hopefully it’ll be as user-friendly as possible, but in general these games have a bit of a steep learning curve. Obviously you try to match each bumon to something that makes sense, but there’s only so many choices.

Secondly, mixing disturbing horror and comedy seems a bold choice. How drastic will the change in tone be? Will they mix together consistently, or will the game seem like two different games mashed together?

have you ever read John Dies at the End? Best mix of comedy and horror ever in my opinion. What I’m envisioning right now is mostly lighthearted (on the surface), with a lot of amusing items and gameplay mechanics, but the gameplay itself will be tense and nerve-wracking, especially as you descend deeper into the various caverns. Of course, a lot of what i’m planning is already a part of any roguelike, but I’m going to be taking normal conventions like generous lighting and perfect character memory and messing with them a bit. There’s nothing very funny about being 20 stories underground, being pursued by denizens of the deep, with a guttering torch that only lights up 3 spaces in every direction and you can’t quite remember where that up staircase is Log in to see images!

edit – as an example of this balance I’m trying to strike, one of the deities/gods you can pledge your allegiance to will be Eris (of discordian fame) and another will be the Elder gods of lovecraftian lore. In a way, I’m hoping that the direction the game goes will depend a lot on the player’s choices. So… dunno if I really answered your questions, but hell I barely know where I’m going with this myself.

BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/18/2008 7:47AM

Dawgas

Level 6 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

That’s perfectly fine, as long as it’s more awesome than Dwarf Fortress.

It’ll be hard, but you can do it

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Hey guys! I’m actually just about to leave for alaska, where i’ll be for the next week, but in the meantime here’s some proof I’ve actually been doing ****!

I’ve been busting my bum for days here trying to get this ****ing rudimentary random dungeon generator to work, and my work is finally starting to pay off!

The algorithm for my RDG is basically taken from here, but with a few significant differences. I don’t really have time to go into all the changes I made right now, but if you guys are interested I can go into more detail when I return next week.

In the meantime, screenshots!

Here was my first compiled attempt to generate just one randomly created corridor from an existing room. Utter failure. Barf!

And after hours and hours of toil and trying to figure out exactly what the **** I was doing wrong (there were many many things) here are some results from my most recent runs!

40 features generated

50 features generated

60 features generated

Obviously there’s a lot of room for refinement, such as cutting down on the number of dead ends and **** like that, but overall I think it’s very successful for a basic first version! I am pleased Log in to see images!

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

Looks pretty awesome so far BoP, how hard will it be to add other elements (items, beasties, etc) to the generation algorithm though?

Have fun in Alaska, sounds like it’ll be p. cool (oh man I’m hilarious Log in to see images!

Dr_Kraid

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Emo Kid

OH GOD MY AVATAR IS HAUNTED

how can you leave me like this bop?! you’re so cold Log in to see images!

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

ALSO A male reproductive organSUCKING ****WAD

By the by gigerth drew that one monster, see my sig. This game will rock.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Quick update for anyone interested:

I consolidated the RDG code and made it a bit more efficient, and in the process I seemed to have fixed some odd problem I hadn’t noticed, as the output shouldn’t have been any different but it was noticeably improved. I also added a function for removing dead ends. It uses a number i call ‘chaosfactor’. It ranges from 0 – 100, where 0 results in 100% of dead ends being removed, and 100 results in no dead ends being removed.

At 100, it looks similar to the screenshots i posted above, and at 0 it looks just like any other roguelike dungeon, with rooms and corridors all connected and no dead ends and odd branches. One problem when the number is low is that it sometimes barely anything is left when the dead ends are all taken away. One time it only left 2 rooms connected by a single corridor! The way I see it, I could either tweak the ratio of rooms to corridors created, as its currently 70% corridors vs. 30% rooms, and that could def. be tweaked. If the problem still crops up I could have a quota for rooms created or something like that.

That’s not all, though! I made the clbum for creatures, including the player, and I made the basic event handler and action handler! so far the only creature I’ve allowed for is the player, and the only action available is walking around, but it’s working fine and my little @ symbol is happily traipsing through my randomly created dungeons!

So basically, the skeleton is starting to come together. Up next I’m working on the item clbum and functions to for item and inventory management. After that I’m going to add some more UI ****, such as menu functions and a basic message display system. After that I suppose it’ll be time to get working on the combat system and enemy creatures.

Again, I am pleased. Log in to see images!

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Something_Witty Posted:

Looks pretty awesome so far BoP, how hard will it be to add other elements (items, beasties, etc) to the generation algorithm though?

it’s hard to answer that… not quite sure how everything’s going to work yet. I imagine that after generating a map I’ll go through each empty room tile and have a certain chance of putting an item there. obviously the better the item the lower the probability. Monsters will have to be generated according to the dungeon level and general difficulty level of wherever you are. I’ll elaborate more on how i’m doing things when things come together more.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

OH GOD SOMEBODY POST IN MY THREAD PLEASE

zigzagoon

Avatar: 28782 2011-07-31 12:19:07 -0400

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

postin in dis thread

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

What’s going on in this thread?

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

King Krimson Posted:

What’s going on in this thread?

REALLY COOL ****

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!