Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 I'm developing a roguelike

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

How about randomly-placed snipers?

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Some of the dungeon levels should have a little House of Leaves bit of flair to them. Like, one level you have one giant pitch-black room full of eerie winds, noises and hidden or fake staircases, but the next level is a claustrophobic constantly shifting maze of doors and monsters.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

How about a level where the walls secrete low-level monsters, like a mucous monster or something?

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

TeeKayEff Posted:

Some of the dungeon levels should have a little House of Leaves bit of flair to them. Like, one level you have one giant pitch-black room full of eerie winds, noises and hidden or fake staircases, but the next level is a claustrophobic constantly shifting maze of doors and monsters.

THIS is a cool, albeit extremely hard to implement idea i hadn’t even considered. House of leaves ****ing rules.

I think if i make this I’ll relegate all the shapeshifting levels to one specific dungeon.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Big Brother Posted:

How about a level where the walls secrete low-level monsters, like a mucous monster or something?

maybe in the ‘living dungeon’ levels the place could spawn flesh golems and tentacles and stuff like that.

In terms of hive creatures, like adom’s bees or ants? I’m not sure. If I was going to do that I would do it differently somehow. The game’s going to be heavily influenced by ADOM but I want to pave new ground where I can.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

BirdofPrey Posted:

maybe in the ‘living dungeon’ levels the place could spawn flesh golems and tentacles and stuff like that.

In terms of hive creatures, like adom’s bees or ants? I’m not sure. If I was going to do that I would do it differently somehow. The game’s going to be heavily influenced by ADOM but I want to pave new ground where I can.

Tentacle enjoy? Log in to see images!

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

You should be able to male reproductive organshot some monsters.

Gene Hackman

Avatar: 45667 Mon Mar 09 04:05:35 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

We get it. You and your alt Esperanza have bad ideas.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. If the—if he—if ‘is’ means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement. … Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having an alt named Esperanza, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.

Tangolho

[Team Shortbus]

Level 24 Troll

The Repeater

BirdofPrey Posted:

Heheh. I was considering some form of stimulant that focuses you strongly for a period of time followed by a crash and maybe even withdrawal if you use enough.

speaking of drugs, i would ****ing LOVE to find a creative and awesome way to implement hallucinogenic mushrooms and such. Nethack’s version of hallucinating is way too boring and unrealistic. I want to see the ****ing dungeon walls BREATHE man!!

well you could make the walls dilate, the corridors to change their lenght and the wall collors to change, and dont forget the wird stuff you see like pink elefants and rapers coming out of your closet, at least I think that was also due to LSD

R2

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Re: the lighting.

If the setting was some kind of building (asylum, cellar of a big-bum hospital, military bunker, whatever) that had lighting, you could have the lights randomly flicker on and off, by turns either lighting the whole complex or hiding it in darkness. And for extra lulz, either provide the player with no lighting of his own, or very limited lighting – like a flashlight with limited batteries or something.

What I had in mind here was kind of Riget (Riket?) a la Lars von Trier. I think Stephen King made a ****ty derivative work on it called Kingdom Hospital, but I hear that’s not so good. Basically a ****ed up, psychedelic hospital where everyone is going quietly (or not so quietly) insane, the staff have a wierd secret society, and there are satanists in the basement. Half of the time you (the viewer) don’t know whether to laugh or hide under the sofa, gibbering. In that way, it’s not just the character who is insane, but everyone else, and possibly even the building itself. To take that further, you could have a list on which you roll every 100 or 1000 ticks, with things like: nothing happens, level changes, spawn monster, lights go out, etc etc.

Oh, and when you take drugs, things go back to normal, meaning the weird changes etc stop Log in to see images!.

In any case, my suggestions would be to use either a contemporary or contemporary fantasy world if you want the horror aspect. At least for me, medieval generic fantasy is not particularly scary, even with tentacle-enjoy (no wait, was that a good thing?).

R2 edited this message on 06/16/2008 6:11AM

Dr_Kraid

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Emo Kid

OH GOD MY AVATAR IS HAUNTED

A PORTABLE HOLE

LIKE YOU CAN USE IT TO GET THROUGH WALLS OR FLOORS OR YOU CAN PUT IT ON MONSTERS AND MAKE THEIR GUTS SPILL OUT **** YEAAAAAAH

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

Just thought of something else, dunno if it’d be too painful and complex to implement or what, but possibly location damage could be included? Like maybe have certain traps cripple your char for a while or tear off an arm (this being a game with supernatural elements, there’ll no doubt be magical cures or even magically enhanced prosthetic limbs), and have a small chance certain attacks might damage your eyes, hands and other important bits.

Speaking of traps, ones that spawn a bunch of monsters around the player are a clbumic IMO. Or since this is a horror game, make it so some traps or enemies can induce a ‘fear’, ‘panic’ or ‘insanity’ effect, or something like.

Hope those help, anyway Log in to see images!

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

Dr_Kraid Posted:

A PORTABLE HOLE

LIKE YOU CAN USE IT TO GET THROUGH WALLS OR FLOORS OR YOU CAN PUT IT ON MONSTERS AND MAKE THEIR GUTS SPILL OUT **** YEAAAAAAH

really good suggestion imo

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

R2 Posted:

Re: the lighting.

If the setting was some kind of building (asylum, cellar of a big-bum hospital, military bunker, whatever) that had lighting, you could have the lights randomly flicker on and off, by turns either lighting the whole complex or hiding it in darkness. And for extra lulz, either provide the player with no lighting of his own, or very limited lighting – like a flashlight with limited batteries or something.

What I had in mind here was kind of Riget (Riket?) a la Lars von Trier. I think Stephen King made a ****ty derivative work on it called Kingdom Hospital, but I hear that’s not so good. Basically a ****ed up, psychedelic hospital where everyone is going quietly (or not so quietly) insane, the staff have a wierd secret society, and there are satanists in the basement. Half of the time you (the viewer) don’t know whether to laugh or hide under the sofa, gibbering. In that way, it’s not just the character who is insane, but everyone else, and possibly even the building itself. To take that further, you could have a list on which you roll every 100 or 1000 ticks, with things like: nothing happens, level changes, spawn monster, lights go out, etc etc.

Oh, and when you take drugs, things go back to normal, meaning the weird changes etc stop Log in to see images!.

In any case, my suggestions would be to use either a contemporary or contemporary fantasy world if you want the horror aspect. At least for me, medieval generic fantasy is not particularly scary, even with tentacle-enjoy (no wait, was that a good thing?).

sounds like you have your own game there! I don’t know how well that would work as a roguelike, it honestly sounds better as some other kind of more graphical adventure game. Also I’m trying to create a world here, not just a building. Also I’m not talking about “horror” like wereweolves and tentacles and ****. I’m considering more lovecraftian ways of getting that across.

As for the lighting, i’m envisioning something a little different from most roguelikes. light is going to be much more of an issue of importance in this, but i still need to flesh out the details a bit. It’ll be a little related to your memory too, which won’t be picture-perfect like it is in most roguelikes Log in to see images!

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Something_Witty Posted:

Just thought of something else, dunno if it’d be too painful and complex to implement or what, but possibly location damage could be included? Like maybe have certain traps cripple your char for a while or tear off an arm (this being a game with supernatural elements, there’ll no doubt be magical cures or even magically enhanced prosthetic limbs), and have a small chance certain attacks might damage your eyes, hands and other important bits.

Speaking of traps, ones that spawn a bunch of monsters around the player are a clbumic IMO. Or since this is a horror game, make it so some traps or enemies can induce a ‘fear’, ‘panic’ or ‘insanity’ effect, or something like.

Hope those help, anyway Log in to see images!

I was thinking about specific damage. I don’t want to take it too far (wayyyy too difficult for player) but I think i can do that to a certain extent. Maybe to the point where an expert archer can target specific body parts and such. I’m a little wary of broken/torn off limbs, since if the player didn’t have a magical cure on him he would be p. ****ed i expect.

On the other hand, it would be ****ing awesome to recover your arm from a hungry beast and wield it as a weapon.

I think I may need to make plans for a new attribute: balls

edit – also yes, portable holes rocks

BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/16/2008 6:50PM

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Well, it could be pretty cool if you had stats. Like “Bioengineered Supersoldier Shotgun-arm with Webbed toes” or “15-inch prehensile male reproductive organ”.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

that’s not a stat Log in to see images!

also, i guess i’ll update u guys tonight on ****. not much has been done though tbh.

fabulous personballs_007

Level 12 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I actually like his idea.

Fagballs_007 edited this message on 06/16/2008 7:10PM

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

fabulous personballs_007 Posted:

I actually like his idea.

what’s his idea besides stats that aren’t stats? you mean like, changing your title depending on various happenings?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!