Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 I'm developing a roguelike

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Yes, I know what a roguelike is. But there’s usually a “save” command and a “load” command.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

Big Brother Posted:

Yes, I know what a roguelike is. But there’s usually a “save” command and a “load” command.

Yes, but they are temporary saves. The saves are upon quitting and deleted when you load them back up. It’s just so you don’t have to finish the game in one sitting.

Johnny Mac edited this message on 06/15/2008 7:03PM

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Oh. Then how about one of those wall monsters from Japanese Mythology? You can’t kill it, and it won’t attack you, but it follows you and blocks your path.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

robot lesbians that shoot lasers from their male reproductive organ-arms

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

This isn’t roleplaying, you stupid epeen whoring idiot troll-rere.

Random Black-
Guy

Level 2 Re-Re

What is a roguelike game exactly?Log in to see images!

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

You know what ascii art is? It’s like a text-based game, except instead of text there’s ascii art representing a dungeon. Each letter is a different monster, like D could be a dragon. A period usally means “nothing”, and | and _ are used as walls.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

Oh my bad Big Brother, I must have misread the OP. I thought BoP was asking for ideas.

BirdofPrey Posted:

I will also be taking suggestions here. Anything from all-encompbuming game mechanics to specific items, artifacts, and buffs/spells. Please don’t **** this thread up with crap suggestions, but don’t be afraid to speak up and tell me your idea either.

BRB, gotta make a “clever” alt where the name is a reference to a ****ty book in a vain attempt to make myself look more intelligent and well-read.

FAIL edited this message on 06/15/2008 7:36PM

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Big Brother Posted:

This isn’t roleplaying, you stupid epeen whoring idiot troll-rere.

Manphibian

Avatar: 47886 Sat Jan 24 22:45:33 -0500 2009

Level 9 Re-Re

LETS MAKE SOME TADPOLES BABY

amidoinitright Big Brother?

anyway, cool idea BoP

Random Black-
Guy

Level 2 Re-Re

Big Brother Posted:

You know what ascii art is? It’s like a text-based game, except instead of text there’s ascii art representing a dungeon. Each letter is a different monster, like D could be a dragon. A period usally means “nothing”, and | and _ are used as walls.

Thanks,

Uhm.. How about like a thing which you pick up and if you almost die it explodes and destroyes everything around you exept you?

Esperanza

Level 21 Emo Kid

You got BP? I will let you put it in my bum.

How about a killer rabbit that can only be killed by an extremely rare item, the Holy Hand Grenade? And, it moves five times as fast as you and instantly kills you if it hits you. Fortunately it doesn’t wake up until someone from your party hits it.

TomInTheBox

Level 27 Emo Kid

“Lopsided McHaircut”

You should be able to catch pixies, ground them up with a mortar and pestle and snort them for a stat boost.

But then you crash. Oh god, then you crash hard. Log in to see images!

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

TomInTheBox Posted:

You should be able to catch pixies, ground them up with a mortar and pestle and snort them for a stat boost.

But then you crash. Oh god, then you crash hard. Log in to see images!

Heheh. I was considering some form of stimulant that focuses you strongly for a period of time followed by a crash and maybe even withdrawal if you use enough.

speaking of drugs, i would ****ing LOVE to find a creative and awesome way to implement hallucinogenic mushrooms and such. Nethack’s version of hallucinating is way too boring and unrealistic. I want to see the ****ing dungeon walls BREATHE man!!

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

Oh god I’m SO getting in on this. Don’t have much just yet, but I dug out a few ideas so far.

As far as ‘cursed’ weapons go, maybe you could have melee weapons be made of rubber or turn out to be one of those soft squeaky toys, and ranged weapons will extend a flag showing a noise appropriate to its weapon type (ie. BANG, RAT-A-TAT-A-TAT, BOOM, TWANG, etc). You can’t change what’s in the hand(s) the weapon is equipped until you get a certain item, as you failed to notice the superglue coating the dodgy weapon when you grabbed it.

Make a superboss that’s adorable and harmless-seeming but can destroy you 5 times over before you can say ‘something doesn’t seem quite right here’, ala Black Rabite from Seiken Densetsu 3. Call it a ‘cute widdle fluffy-wuffy’ or something Log in to see images!

BirdofPrey Posted:

speaking of drugs, i would ****ing LOVE to find a creative and awesome way to implement hallucinogenic mushrooms and such. Nethack’s version of hallucinating is way too boring and unrealistic. I want to see the ****ing dungeon walls BREATHE man!!

Maybe make it so every step you take, everything within sight changes to a random colour and possibly shifts position a little (though the ‘moving’ walls/items/monsters will actually be in the same place, so you can’t run into the hallucinations), and instead of ‘you see a (monster/item/thing)’, have randomly strung together sentences that make little sense, sort of like one of those weirdbum spam messages or something.

Something_Witty edited this message on 06/15/2008 8:18PM

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Greenhouses, where you can grow fruits, vegetables, and power-enhancing coca leaves.

Also, to add onto the hallucination aspect, on some drugs you stay in place while the dungeon moves around you.

TeeKayEff edited this message on 06/15/2008 8:21PM

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Make there women that you can have sex with, knock up, and then you can use the children like pets from knock up. And you get a health/strength boost from the sex.

my_mother

Avatar: 43437 Sun Nov 23 19:27:56 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 16 Emo Kid

my woman's genitals smells like freedom

I don’t have any suggestions but I’m subscribing to this thread as I’m an RL newbie and I now love them.

Good luck BoP Log in to see images!

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Try making a cursed item that destroys your Backpack-of-infinite-holding, causing all your items to be destroyed and making it impossible to pick anything up.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

TeeKayEff Posted:

Also, to add onto the hallucination aspect, on some drugs you stay in place while the dungeon moves around you.

you just BLEW MY MIND MAAAANNNN O_O

edit ^to above post^

errr roguelikes are supposed to be hard but not impossible. you should always be able to recover from a spot of bad luck (unless it’s abysmal luck).

Also, don’t forget that I’m looking for a ‘horror’ aspect as well, whatever that means in RL. For example, I’m thinking of making light a very precious resource in the lower levels. And when it’s dark you’ll KNOW it’s dark. should make exploration a lot more intense.

My goal is to have a working walkable-around-in dungeon prototype in at most 2 days from now. Dunno if that’s possible considering my skill in SDL (almost 0) but goddamn i’ll try!

BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/15/2008 9:13PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!