Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
FAQ Forum/Community Parodies vs Forum Concepts

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

There’s basically two kinds of forum ideas in Forumbuildr: Parodies and Concepts. Parodies take an existing forum and warp it somehow… like YouBoob, Something Lawful, or IMDB. Then there are the concepts, which are actual forum ideas. Instead of being based off an existing forum or community, they’re just funny forum ideas. Some examples for these are Suburban Gangsta Paradise or Dolphin Love. Most of the forums in Episode One are Concepts.

Question is: which do you prefer? They both have their pros and cons. Generally, a well-written Parody forum is extremely entertaining.. but a bad one is next to worthless. Concepts, on the other hand, are somewhat mediocre on average… but even a bad Concept is generally not too hard to write entries for.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

I like concepts better, but sadly parodies are more popular.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Big Brother Posted:

I like concepts better, but sadly parodies are more popular.

I agree with this

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

I always thought a mix of both was nice, although a good parody is difficult to do unless it’s something people are really familiar with. I’d agree there’s a few too many parodies at the moment.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

it depends on the parody, but I do prefer concepts in general.

however you can’t blame arktor, or anyone, for subbing a parody, since they get all the votes.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I am lukewarm in regard to parodies, but I really don’t like them when the people actually making the submissions to the parody have no idea what they’re parodying, or if it’s a multifaceted parody and the submissions only acknowledge one facet.

Case in point, Wiccapedia. Every single aspect of it was about the Wicca, nothing was about the Pedia. That annoyed me.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

However, with a concept forum, it’s very hard to go wrong with it, since there’s really no wrong or write way to build it. Therefore, I’ll tip my hat to the concept forums.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Pickled male reproductive organbum Posted:

it depends on the parody, but I do prefer concepts in general.

however you can’t blame arktor, or anyone, for subbing a parody, since they get all the votes.

The only people you can blame parodies being so popular is the people who actually vote for them.

I like concepts better, but it’s easier to make logos for Parody forums, you can simply go to the parodied (sp?) website and get a concept there. You actually need to do some deep research to make a good logo for a concept forum.

Fran edited this message on 06/10/2008 5:29PM

Draconos

Level 15 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Parodies are okay, but I prefer concepts much more. They bring some origonality to the mix.

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Parodies are easier to write. Concepts are more fun.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

TeeKayEff Posted:

I am lukewarm in regard to parodies, but I really don’t like them when the people actually making the submissions to the parody have no idea what they’re parodying, or if it’s a multifaceted parody and the submissions only acknowledge one facet.

Case in point, Wiccapedia. Every single aspect of it was about the Wicca, nothing was about the Pedia. That annoyed me.

It’s too bad I joined after that one was made, because I used to be a wikipedia addict and could probably have written tons of references (though they’d get downvoted because noone would understand them.)

Orb

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Big Brother Posted:

It’s too bad I joined after that one was made, because I used to be a wikipedia addict and could probably have written tons of references (though they’d get downvoted because noone would understand them.)

I worked on that one, and all my attempts to write Wikipedia-themed jokes were downvoted into oblivion. It was a shame, because I’d really like to do a forum that pokes fun at Wikipedia, but now we never will because we already have Wiccapedia. We wasted a concept.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Did even Jimbo Wales and Willy on Wheels ideas get downvoted? Because if they did, forumwarz is officially intellectually dead.

Orb

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Big Brother Posted:

Did even Jimbo Wales and Willy on Wheels ideas get downvoted? Because if they did, forumwarz is officially intellectually dead.

It’s hard to say. If such entries were proposed, I never saw them. Which really says just as much.

Evil Karp

Level 2 Re-Re

Big Brother Posted:

What was your idea? Was it a forum idea, because then it would suck

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

I was reffering to ideas for wiccapedia.

And just because you chose to remain a Re-Re doesn’t mean you have the right to Roleplay one outside Roleplaying boards.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Big Brother Posted:

Yes they did. I proposed at least 3 On_Wheels! and they all got killed quickly.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

They can both result in good forums, and they can both result in **** forums. ait depends on what the submissions are and how they are voted.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

L2 Posted:

They can both result in good forums, and they can both result in **** forums. ait depends on what the submissions are and how they are voted.

Not that most people pay close attention to the details of the forum.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!