Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fun ITT: Let's play Doom: the Roguelike

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

For those of you who’ve never played/heard of rogue-likes (such as Nethack, ADOM, Mystery Dungeon, Azure Dreams, etc), think basically a turn-based dungeon crawler RPG with randomly generated floors, items, monsters etc, and in many of them once your character dies they’re gone. GONE.

For those of you who’ve never played or heard of Doom, SLAP YOURSELF IN THE FACE, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Basically, here’s how this’ll work. I’ll play the game, and when it comes to point where I’d make a decision (do I attack these monsters and if so with what weapon, should I go down a floor yet, do I ditch one weapon to grab this one, should I walk across the acid or find another way, etc), I’ll post a screenshot and do what the FIRST PERSON TO POST A LEGITIMATE ACTION suggests.

A few rules:

1. I won’t do anything the game won’t let me, obviously (and will say if so)

2. I won’t do anything blatantly suicidal/incredibly stupid (eg. “run around in that lava for a while”, “throw away the chaingun and beat down the Baron of Hell with your bare hands”, “walk next to that barrel and shoot it”Log in to see images!. Try to actually WIN here, folks.

3. I won’t mention EVERY action I take (moving around, picking up medpacks, etc), otherwise this’ll take forever. I will summarise when necessary though.

4. I will clarify anything you need to ask about a situation (how dangerous a monster is, how damage works, explosion radii, game mechanics, etc), provided you ask before someone tells me what action to take.

5. If/when I win the game or die (far more likely), somebody else who wishes to do this can take over, or I’ll start a new character in a new difficulty setting and/or challenge mode.

6. I live in a different timezone to many of you, so keep in mind I may take a while to update.

7. If I go a while without getting responses, I may decide to continue for a bit on my own.

Finally, you can download the game yourself here, get the manual here, or read in-depth about mechanics, items, monsters, etc on the wiki.

To start off, let’s do a normal game on the easiest mode. And so the first important decision is this: WHAT NAME DO WE GIVE TO OUR BADbum MARINE?!

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

Dixon.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Natalie Posted:

Dixon.

DIXON IT IS.

Now, we need a starting trait for Dixon. What is he good at?

(next update might take a while, gotta jet for an hour or two)

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

Eagle Eye.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Nillo Posted:

Eagle Eye.

Alrighty, Dixon’s a crack shot.

And so begin Dixon’s journey into hell, knee deep in the dead….

Natalie Petr-
ov

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

Look?

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Natalie Posted:

Look?

Seeing nothing but the rocks of Phobos around him, Dixon decides to explore, feeling slightly nervous.

Seeing the large stone moonbase looming before him, he circles the building, searching for an opening.

He finds a door. He reaches for the handle, hesitating when he hears low moans from the rooms beyond.

He opens the door to see two medpacks lying before him. He picks them up, then decides to open another door….....

Natalie Petr-
ov

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

Er, go back and look more thoroughly around that outer room?

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Natalie Posted:

Er, go back and look more thoroughly around that outer room?

Dixon decides he wants to scour the area first. He searches everywhere on the surface of Phobos, but finds nothing of interest.

(the first floor is a special level, with pre-determined enemies and items. Probably should’ve mentioned that, my bad)

Nillo

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

If you have sound effects on, can you tell us later when you hear demons in the vicinity and that sort of thing?

200KillerWas-
ps

Avatar: 28280 Fri Dec 12 03:48:27 -0500 2008

Level 37 Troll

Don't caek me bro!

Something_Witty Posted:

For those of you who’ve never played/heard of rogue-likes (such as Nethack, ADOM, Mystery Dungeon, Azure Dreams, etc), think basically a turn-based dungeon crawler RPG with randomly generated floors, items, monsters etc, and in many of them once your character dies they’re gone. GONE.

For those of you who’ve never played or heard of Doom, SLAP YOURSELF IN THE FACE, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Basically, here’s how this’ll work. I’ll play the game, and when it comes to point where I’d make a decision (do I attack these monsters and if so with what weapon, should I go down a floor yet, do I ditch one weapon to grab this one, should I walk across the acid or find another way, etc), I’ll post a screenshot and do what the FIRST PERSON TO POST A LEGITIMATE ACTION suggests.

A few rules:

1. I won’t do anything the game won’t let me, obviously (and will say if so)

2. I won’t do anything blatantly suicidal/incredibly stupid (eg. “run around in that lava for a while”, “throw away the chaingun and beat down the Baron of Hell with your bare hands”, “walk next to that barrel and shoot it”Log in to see images!. Try to actually WIN here, folks.

3. I won’t mention EVERY action I take (moving around, picking up medpacks, etc), otherwise this’ll take forever. I will summarise when necessary though.

4. I will clarify anything you need to ask about a situation (how dangerous a monster is, how damage works, explosion radii, game mechanics, etc), provided you ask before someone tells me what action to take.

5. If/when I win the game or die (far more likely), somebody else who wishes to do this can take over, or I’ll start a new character in a new difficulty setting and/or challenge mode.

6. I live in a different timezone to many of you, so keep in mind I may take a while to update.

7. If I go a while without getting responses, I may decide to continue for a bit on my own.

Finally, you can download the game yourself here, get the manual here, or read in-depth about mechanics, items, monsters, etc on the wiki.

To start off, let’s do a normal game on the easiest mode. And so the first important decision is this: WHAT NAME DO WE GIVE TO OUR BADbum MARINE?!

where can I get this?

Thought_Poli-
ce

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Nillo Posted:

If you have sound effects on, can you tell us later when you hear demons in the vicinity and that sort of thing?

Yep, sure will. My sound’s a tad buggy sometimes though, so I might not be able to do so for the whole game.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

200KillerWasps Posted:

where can I get this?

Something_Witty Posted:

Finally, you can download the game yourself here,

Also, I really need to break my habit of posting with the wrong character. lsbflasbfklablbagddasv Log in to see images!

Nillo

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Okay, that’s cool. Now go in there and shoot some zombified soldiers. In the face. Then unload their weapons and loot them for ammo if possible.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Nillo Posted:

Now go in there and shoot some zombified soldiers. In the face. Then unload their weapons and loot them for ammo if possible.

Dixon returns to the building, hearing low moans behind it. Relief floods in as he spots a fellow marine. He asks him what the crap is going on, and is promptly shot at!

Dumbfounded, Dixon returns fire, years of hardcore training turning the former human into a leaky flashbag in seconds.

Realizing the enormity of the situation, Dixon continues on, grabbing his former comrade’s ammo. Running into more of the ex-humans, Dixon easily dispatches them all, his pistol blasting out his anger. His first warning of the sergeant’s approach is a shotgun blast which grazes his leg.

Not giving the creature another chance to fire, Dixon blasts it in the head, walking over to the stairs. He pauses only to grab the creature’s shotgun, and sling it over his back.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Going down the stairs and looking around him, Dixon notices a lever, a barrel of flammable acid, a medpack, many doors, and a knife. He ponders what to do next….

Nillo

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Alright, we don’t have enough traits yet so the lever is suspicious. Grab the medpack and the knife, then check if you can hear anything.

In other news, these gameplay threads are pretty rad. I should start one myself when I get back home later today.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Nillo Posted:

Alright, we don’t have enough traits yet so the lever is suspicious. Grab the medpack and the knife, then check if you can hear anything.

(never taken Intuition before, I prefer to gamble with levers. Mind you, you’ve probably got the right idea, seeing as I keep killing myself with lava-filled rooms Log in to see images!)

Walking forward to grab the goodies, Dixon spots something that gives him an instant stiffy.

He grabs the combat shotgun and other goodies, hearing the sounds of a shotgun being reloaded from the east(?) as he picks up his prizes. As he swaps his old shottie for his shiny new one, his joy dies when he hears another noise…a distinctly inhuman-sounding noise that sounds like a pig with a blocked nose. He tenses.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Deciding to open the door from which the noises are heard, Dixon slowly creaks it open and peeks into the room. He sees more barrels, and an angry-looking former sergeant.

Nillo

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Retreat into the room, equip the pistol and shoot the barrel of acid next to the door.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!