Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics The voting ratio/Alt problem: opinions and suggestions

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

Right now it is possible to determine who is whose alt by comparing their voting ratios. I personally don’t like this. My main RP character is an incredibly annoying woman's genitals, and I wouldn’t like putting in the effort into RPing another character if people can just compare the ratios and go “Oh, that’s SG94, meh”.

I know others have abstained from voting in Forumbuildr to lower their vote counts, and I’m thinking of doing the same, but that would mean I, and others who do the same, cannot contribute on that front.

My solution (and this is basically intended as an opening bid to get a discussion rolling) is to hide the voting ratio. It serves practically no purpose whatsoever except for identifying alts. Discuss.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

I try to hide most of my alts and limit their posts to make them at least somewhat harder to detect. I have no idea if I’ve been remotely successful in my endevours though…

Anyway I wouldn’t mind that field disappearing from the profile completely.

Deplorable

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I think some range of randomized values should be added/subtracted to it, so tedious woman's genitalss can spend a while trying to calculate it so they can identify alts. When they have, then remove it.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

To further emphasize that there is indeed a problem, have a look at Escher’s profile. She abstains from voting, yet judging by her huge forumbuildr score this is not because of a lack of interest.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Well escher basically hasn’t played the games in weeks and her forumbuildr vote tally has suffered accordingly she used to vote a huge amount though.

DeadMcMahon

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yes, this is a huge problem. I am completely in favor of hiding the voting ratio. Mysteriousness is a good thing, and it doesn’t prevent the admins from wiping out illegal alts.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

Vuron Posted:

Well escher basically hasn’t played the games in weeks and her forumbuildr vote tally has suffered accordingly she used to vote a huge amount though.

0 votes really looks like a conscious decision to hide voting ratio though. But I’m only speculating.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I’d actually like to see those gone, too. Anonymous alts are almost a necessity for forum role-playing, given how much fun some people have of exposing who is really who and blowing the story.

Thingysomeone

Level 27 Camwhore

I have worst ****ing ideas in the entire world!

I have an idea. Go through with one alt, downvote everything that should be downvoted, and on the other alt upvote everything that should be upvoted.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

Thingysomeone Posted:

I have an idea. Go through with one alt, downvote everything that should be downvoted, and on the other alt upvote everything that should be upvoted.

voting ratios are per account, not per character. The score might turn out to be 0, but total votes show too which would be the same.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Okay, since this was a super easy change to make, here’s how it works: the ratio itself has been replaced with a piece of text which summarizes your voting record. It can be:

“Terrible”

“Negative”

“Fair”

“Favorable”

“Brown Nose”

HK-47

[SRSLY]

Level 13 Permanoob

“PERMANOOB”

Evil Trout Posted:

Okay, since this was a super easy change to make, here’s how it works: the ratio itself has been replaced with a piece of text which summarizes your voting record. It can be:

“Terrible”

“Negative”

“Fair”

“Favorable”

“Brown Nose”

I like that. It wouldn’t make it impossible to find alts, yet it would still add a bit of mystery and questioning.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

you would have to watch very closely to see if they both change at the same time, otherwise theres no way to tell.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Time to write a script that queries every profile page every 5 seconds to look for changes!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!