Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Scientology - is it a cult?

Sonic Chute

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

It should be opposed for every reason imaginable.

The only one I could really argue to you though is that they have to learn to take a beating!

fabulous persondouche

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I can’t really see an awful load of difference between Scientology and any other religion. Fundamentally, Scientology preaches improbable and totally unprovable events as being real; at the end of the day, so does Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Paganism etc. However, at least these religions (besides Islam and the Old Testament of the Bible) teach somewhat admirable ethical stances whereas Scientology teaches only to empty your wallet for them. Scientology does indoctrinate people and coerce them with what is essentially propaganda, but so does the afore mentioned religions; children have no choice in the religion they are brought up in, and a belief in Hell etc often is just as traumatic and long reaching as being brainwashed by Scientology. Scientology also semi-worships L Ron Hubbard, which some say is indicitave of a cult; but do Christians not worship Jesus? Is it not essentially a cult revolving around worship or a dead man, a cult of the personality perhaps akin in definition to that of Nazi Germany and Hitler? However, Jesus, by Biblical reports (which are hardly reliable, but non-the-less continues to be theoretically practised by it’s followers) was a thouroughly wonderful man; a tireless and beautiful individual who taught forgiveness, love and peace. Hubbard and Hitler did not; Hubbard was a money grubbing, lame author and Hitler was an ehtical monster regardless of the temporary prowess he provided for Germany (at the cost of over 6 million lives.) I really don’t know what else would qualify something to be a cult, but by the preceeding definitions Scientology is no more a cult than every other organised, thiest religion.

AKK

Level 33 Troll

IM SO LONELY PLEASE TALK TO ME!!!11!!

You’re all ridiculous. Everyone knows $cientology is a brand of toothpaste.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Christianity is also a cult

d4m4s74

Level 8 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Scientology is a corporation posing as a cult posing as a legitimate religion

I’ve been at the church a few times, it sounds good at the start, but it’s not pretty when you’re inside

d4m4s74

Level 8 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

elenaratelimit Posted:

I want to take one of their tests maybe it’s fun and they can tell me why I’m weird

I’m autistic and chronicly depressed

the only thing that will keep me from committing suicide is Dianetics

but I’m still alive after 3 years, even though I’ve only been with the church for a week before I left

also, they still owe me a cat they nailed to the wall

fine upstanding member of societynose

Level 5 Troll

“Slightly Unpleasant Individual”

Be careful, scientologists will sue us all for making fun of their fine upstanding member of societyLog in to see images!

why_so_srs

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Scientology, synonym for voluntary Bacillus anthracis ballsack infection.

AKK

Level 33 Troll

IM SO LONELY PLEASE TALK TO ME!!!11!!

Hitler Comparison.

I AM The SKA-
BOSS

Avatar: 42627 Wed Oct 15 19:08:31 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 28 Troll

“Gaping Asshole”

AKK Posted:

Hitler Comparison.

Godwin’s Law prevails.

why_so_srs

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Ontopic, I pwnd that game.

why_so_srs was banned for this post by Evil Trout

why_so_srs edited this message on 07/23/2009 2:25PM

Lord Of The -
Derp

[male reproductive organsquad]

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

HEIL XENU!

Lord Of The Derp was banned for this post by Evil Trout

Lord Of The Derp edited this message on 07/23/2009 2:25PM

sadfaise

Level 11 Hacker

“Ohacku”

Cult or religion, it IS a set of beliefs. It can be outright bull****, but people still believe it. I think it’s the organization – the so-called CHURCH which is the leech. But personally, I’d call it a cult. I’ve never come across any other major religion where donations or fees are forced in order to improve the practitioner.

In Islam, they have the compulsory concept of zakat. Zakat, however, is giving alms. So a Muslim will have to fork out his own cash and look for people to donate to. He doesn’t make any bull**** payments to a mosque so they can renovate the place, or for a set of enlightening jockstraps when the zakat is meant to help people who actually need it.

sadfaise

Level 11 Hacker

“Ohacku”

Damn it, missed the Hitler posts. I am fail.

Rastanarchar-
ismarx

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

fabulous persondouche Posted:

I can’t really see an awful load of difference between Scientology and any other religion. Fundamentally, Scientology preaches improbable and totally unprovable events as being real; at the end of the day, so does Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Paganism etc. However, at least these religions (besides Islam and the Old Testament of the Bible) teach somewhat admirable ethical stances whereas Scientology teaches only to empty your wallet for them. Scientology does indoctrinate people and coerce them with what is essentially propaganda, but so does the afore mentioned religions; children have no choice in the religion they are brought up in, and a belief in Hell etc often is just as traumatic and long reaching as being brainwashed by Scientology. Scientology also semi-worships L Ron Hubbard, which some say is indicitave of a cult; but do Christians not worship Jesus? Is it not essentially a cult revolving around worship or a dead man, a cult of the personality perhaps akin in definition to that of Nazi Germany and Hitler? However, Jesus, by Biblical reports (which are hardly reliable, but non-the-less continues to be theoretically practised by it’s followers) was a thouroughly wonderful man; a tireless and beautiful individual who taught forgiveness, love and peace. Hubbard and Hitler did not; Hubbard was a money grubbing, lame author and Hitler was an ehtical monster regardless of the temporary prowess he provided for Germany (at the cost of over 6 million lives.) I really don’t know what else would qualify something to be a cult, but by the preceeding definitions Scientology is no more a cult than every other organised, thiest religion.

in response:

Rastanarcharismarx Posted:

however you try to look at it they still remain a cult.

They tend not to like any critique against them. I haven’t heard of the Vatican suing people for mocking their religion or calling it a cult in the 21st century.

Scientology doesn’t take no for an answer and doesn’t respect people who decide to leave Scientology because they have opened their eyes and decided not to believe in their theories. When I quit frequenting church I didn’t haven’t been stalked by my church even though most people there knew me and my family, neither did anyone bug me (unless people pbuming greetings to me qualifies as bugging), nor was I spammed mbumively by the church except for the collective Saturday evening suppers for which I specifically asked to be bugged for since I out of student-principle do not refuse an occasion for FREE FOOD.

The Holy Catholic Church also respects the secrecy of confession: never have I heard any secrets of any friends leave the confession booth, nor has any friends of mine ever been blackmailed by a priest. I’ve never even heard any secrets from friends in non-catholic churches leave the building even though I know many members often share secrets with reverends at the church for advice and yet in most countries in non-catholic chuches secrets are not even legally protected concessionary secrets.

sadfaise Posted:

Cult or religion, it IS a set of beliefs. It can be outright bull****, but people still believe it. I think it’s the organization – the so-called CHURCH which is the leech. But personally, I’d call it a cult. I’ve never come across any other major religion where donations or fees are forced in order to improve the practitioner.

In Islam, they have the compulsory concept of zakat. Zakat, however, is giving alms. So a Muslim will have to fork out his own cash and look for people to donate to. He doesn’t make any bull**** payments to a mosque so they can renovate the place, or for a set of enlightening jockstraps when the zakat is meant to help people who actually need it.

Wiki

[Fallen Knights Hon-
or Guard
]

Level 31 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Who cares if it is a religion or cult? Either option would mean that it fails.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!