Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Why CCGs FAIL.

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

This thread wasn’t getting enough unique replies so lets talk about why many of the CCGs of the past failed.

I’ve played many games over the years so I’ll only comment on really well known games or ones I have played.

Superdeck

The reviews of this all agreed. Lame art, Lame Superheroes, And the gameplay was like War.

I never touched it and it was a spectacular failure.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

My first CCG. I saw the cards in Science Fiction Book Club and once I realized there were more cards then what I recieved I checked out a comic book store that sold CCGs. They had a play area set aside where 2 guys were playing.

I watched them for a bit then bought some more cards. One of them gave me some staple commons which is a great way to get someone hooked into the game.

I came back on the weekend and more people were playing Magic the Gathering then STtNG. I got into it and I was hooked. For awhile I tried playing both but as more people played Magic and opponents for STtNG were harder to find I stopped playing it.

STnNG didn’t fail but it did poorly early on for 2 very common reasons.

1. Game Balance. To start the game you and your opponent take turns setting down locations then you each put down mission obstacles at each location. Your opponents are unknown to you. Then you would hopefully play a ship, Staff it with a crew that can hopefully overcome both your known obstacles and your opponents unknown ones. The problem was that the stars of the show such as Picard, Data, Laforge etc… were so much better at beating obstacles then 90+% of the other characters that if you didn’t have them you couldn’t compete. That leads to…

2. Overpowered Rares. The theory was simple. Make overpowered rares so that whoever buys the most packs has the best chance of winning. It sounds good but it leads to a major problem. The guy who blew all that cash on a killer deck is viewed as a douchebag and no one will play with him. If people don’t want to play your game it will often fail.

STtNG actually did well because they put out an expansion that included many cards that trumped the overpowered ones from the core set thus giving players a chance to compete with the douchebags.

Spellfire

This one suffered from lousy art and some cards were vastly more powerful then others. However the game sucked so hard you could buy an entire collection by saving up your lunch money. This suffered mostly from bad press.

Middle-earth

This suffered from 2 new problems.

1. Using the cards to produce random numbers. This was stupid for 2 reasons. First of all some cards had such high numbers on them that flipping them for a result nearly bumured victory and secondly having to flip cards constantly to get results wore out the already flimsy card stock even faster. Card sleeves hadn’t really caught on yet.

2. No one gave a **** about Middle-earth. This was many years before the movies came out and not enough people were interested to buy it.

Highlander

The combat system killed this before it even started. Your opponent played a card that attacked 1 or more squares on a 3x3 grid and you played a move that blocked 1 or more squares. If you guessed wrong you took damage. If you guessed really wrong you lost your head. Promo cards that were way better then regular ones and that were hard to acquire made things worse.

Gridiron Fantasy Football

This was actually a fun game. But it suffered from 2 major problems.

1. Overpowered Promos and Chase Rares that made it nearly impossible to beat the guy who had them. (Sensing a theme yet?)

2. Damaging your opponents team members prevented them from playing them. So if your Quarterback took a hit you might not be able to play him for x amount of downs. The game was actually very violent and you could kill opposing team members. A killed player could never be used again by that player, They had to trade it off.

And of course people made decks that didn’t try to win it just tried to kill opposing team members. Telling players they can’t play with their cards was just stupid.

XXXenophile

Yes the adult themed CCG. This failed for several reasons.

1. Gamers are guys and the game was basically an advanced version of foreplay. No thank you.

2. Phil and Kaja Foglio are great artists but the art was really hit and miss. Plus much of it was male nudity.

3. The game play sucked and sometimes had you ripping up cards.

An amusing gimmick but a lousy game.

The X-Files

This was an advanced version of clue. I knew a lot of people who collected the cards but almost no one played it. One of the early examples of how an awesome license can be enough to carry a bad game.

Eventually the CCG market go so flooded that games couldn’t survive major screw ups. I stuck to MtG and stopped wasting my money on games that sucked even if I liked the source material.

Yes it had nudity. The art was hit an

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS THREAD. TAKE MY NAME OFF PLZTHX.

BeBoBli

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

What is a CCG ive played like 250 famicom exclusives i know games damnit DONT **** WITH ME

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

Wth is a ccg?

OH It’s a TCG, Trading Card Game.

Echuu edited this message on 05/09/2008 3:48AM

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

CCG is collectible card game. Trading card game can refer to games where you know exactly what cards you are buying when you buy certain types of packs or starters such as early Yu-Gi-Oh tins. TCG also sounds better then CCG to parents who have already been burned by a game.

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

****ing fatties and loving it since he was a teen

YOU COULD BE ANY MORE OF A GEEKY fabulous person?

NO HONESTLY

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

I’m not a fabulous person but I wear my geek label with pride. But there are levels of geekdom. I don’t own a cosplay outfit, I’ve never been to an Anime convention. I’ve never seen an episode of the new BG or the new Dr. Who, I’ve never joined a LARP though I almost was pulled into playing Hagrid in a Harry Potter LARP at a gaming convention.

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

****ing fatties and loving it since he was a teen

I’ve pretended to enjoy my girlfriend a few times. That’s about as far as Rping goes.

Paraone

[egg]

Level 10 Troll

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak.

jesus christ

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Hon, I’m actually a bigger geek I think. Log in to see images!

Opinion on the original post? Different reasons. I owned a game shop for about three years. (Great job, zero profit.) I watched Dragon BallZ surge and fail, YuYu Hakusho fail – most anime based games failed after a few sets because the kids switched TV channels.

Games based on other media, such as the X-Files game have a very limited market. When the popularity of whatever they were based on wanes, interest in the game shifts to the next thing.

For other big games, really, I believe they fail primarily due to money and alpha gamers. Random people pick up a game for fun and the majority of players are casual. They tell their friends and you have a group of a few people playing. When it stays at this level or has a decent youth following, it does fairly well. When it jumps into the competitive arena with prizes/money on the line, a different animal comes out to play. Alpha gamers purchase or trade for complete sets of cards, they test winning decks from major tournaments and have no problem steam rolling over the other local players. After a certain point the casual players get sick of always having to play against “that deck” and they drift into some other game or quit playing CCG/TCGs.

It’s a rough thing, but it’s a reality. Why it impacts the games to the point where they fail? Your typical alpha gamer is savvy enough and wins enough that after their initial investment they are able to win or trade for the cards they need. This leaves a situation where the primary participants in a game are investing very little in it, while taking away all the rewards. The casual gamers are the ones who finance the production of the game and when they bail the game collapses.

It happened pretty seriously with the VS System games recently. The game is still limping along, but I really don’t see it making a full recovery, since most of the players game jumped to the World of Warcraft TCG or MTG.

Looking for something solid that won’t go away? You seem to like Sci-fi/fantasy based games and there really isn’t one out there that has had a huge lifespan. Best options if you don’t want your card cash to be worthless in a year?

– MTG – it surges and falls, and attracts a ton of unpleasant smelling alpha gamers, but it’s the big granddaddy and will stick around. It is expensive as hell to play on any sort of competitive level though.

– L5R (Legend of the Five Rings) – storyline based, more about gaming than prize money and generally is play tested more extensively than most of the big games, resulting in better balance and less “there is no point in playing if I’m not playing that deck” situations.

– Game of Thrones – based on the novels. Interesting mechanics, but I haven’t played it in awhile, so I can’t say whether it’s still being done well.

See, way bigger geek. Log in to see images!

PhilANThropiSt Posted:

I’ve pretended to enjoy my girlfriend a few times. That’s about as far as Rping goes.

I’ve raped your girlfriend once… But that was real so…. Yeah..

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Paraone Posted:

jesus christ

For all your holy gaming needs!

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

I’m one of the Alpha gamers you are referring to. Mostly. I’ve played hundreds of MTG tournaments since Dark came out and while most of my wins were on a local scale FNMs and such my Legacy,Standard, and Limited ratings all hovered around 1850. I played L5R for awhile until my gaming group drifted apart. I tried to get back into it a year or so ago but it’s very different from the early days. Yogo Junzo’s Army has to pay for their gold production now. Boo. Never tried Thrones.

And thank you for this threads first real reply.

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Bad alpha gamer! Log in to see images!

Finances keep a lot of people from playing. Decent players get really frustrated when they feel like they could win if they had the same card pool. It’s not the easiest thing to put together, but I do suggest rounding up a few friends or hunting down other frustrated gamers and adopting a dead game.

When games die, the cards become so ridiculously cheap that most everyone interested can get all the cards. It balances things, so that people are just playing for the win. I used to put together dead game sealed leagues, that were very popular. Everyone pitches in a certain amount of money, enough to cover the product cost. Divide it up and play out of what you have. Add to the cards every other week or so and don’t allow outside cards. It builds better gamers, since everyone has to work with what they have and can’t rely on hunting down the power cards.

Some dead games with really good mechanics?

– DragonBall Z (not DragonBall GT) – very available

– City of Heroes – very available

– Buffy – becoming harder to find

– VS System – the early sets are now dirt cheap

Support a local game shop if you can, but sometimes they just can’t compete. A great and reliable online source is http://www.potomacdist.com/default.asp.

Now I have to go get my damn deck together for the local tournament. (See, serious gamer geek chick.)

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

You forgot the best dead game of all. Deadlands. Sure it had balance issues. “It was a Mountain Lion!” my bum! But it was still a great game.

Good luck in your tourney.

Bigguyinblack edited this message on 05/10/2008 2:12PM

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

I collected MtG cards for a while. Played a few games with friends. Then I hit on all their moms and they stopped being my friends.

So, I have about 700-800 cards gathering dust. Thinking about selling them.

Ron Paul

[WEG0TPAID]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Balloon Posted:

I collected MtG cards for a while. Played a few games with friends. Then I hit on all their moms and they stopped being my friends.

So, I have about 700-800 cards gathering dust. Thinking about selling them.

Give them away.

To me.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

What about Battlelords? That game tanked pretty quickly.

Cerebellum

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“Trading Card Games are like crack for little kids.” ~Jick

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Ron Paul Posted:

Give them away.

To me.

Money. That is all.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!