Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay Forum Thread #: A SRS Thread About an Ineffective Fix. SRSLY.

WetSocket

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Brief Background: Recently, forum thread #s were changed to not reset on every visit, but every 30 minutes. This was done for all the Cred and Flezz whores (All 10 of them?) who were refreshing the pages several times until they received the maximum # of threads on Memebusters.

What I would like: A fix back to the original system where the # of threads was a random value between the minimum and maximum.

Why this fix is necessary: The four visits each day that the Cred and Flezz whores get each day is not going to strain the servers by having them refresh the forum every 30 seconds by going through the menus. On the other hand, this now limits the times people who are aiming for a certain thread # can play the game. I’m not an expert, but limiting the times people can play the game because for the majority of the day they are unable to due to the static thread # seems unproductive. Furthermore, this affects myself as well as I aim for minimum # of threads and I by no means am going to check the site every 30 minutes for a forum to hit minimum. To further this point, the Cred and Flezz whores are looking for only one forum to hit maximum, while I, and perhaps other speed runners, are waiting for NUMEROUS threads to be at minimums, since once you accomplish a speed run there’s no need to beat your own record until someone reclaims it.

Summary:

– Thread fix currently limits times during the day that numerous players can play — Inconvenient to speed runners and flezz runners

– Thread fix does not solve people refreshing threads since people must still check the forums, just now spread over a longer time frame until they get their desired result — Frustrated players and still no improvement.

– Visits stagnate. I have yet to be able to use my visits for nearly a week due to the times I’ve checked threads the desired result (Min/Max) was not available.

ITT: Discuss this very SRS topic. Log in to see images!

Zre

[The Fondler of Bal-
lsacks
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Holy Creators! Please make number of threads in forums constant and not random to stop this whining.

WetSocket

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Zre Posted:

Holy Creators! Please make number of threads in forums constant and not random to stop this whining.

That would be too complicated. Where would the RP aspect of random fluctuating thread # to **** everyone off be?

If I Had My -
Way Id Have -
All Of You S-
hot

Avatar: If I Had My Way Id Have All Of You Shot's Avatar

[woman's genitals Cats]

Level 18 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

How about making an an option under options to click for max/min/random threads. That would be a much better solution- give people a choice how they want to play based on their preferences. Just make the option inactive when playing through an episode.

I’m guessing that would probably be harder to code.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Honestly without knowing the impact rerolling threads was having on the server I can’t tell whether this suggestion is good or bad. It definitely seems that rerolling was contributing to site-wide performance issues but that impact was almost certainly less than the effect that INCIT was having.

If re-rolling is a bad thing and the 30 minute time period is intolerable to most players then perhaps a more frequent cycling on the totals might work such as a reroll ever 10 minutes.

Another option would be to auto-increment the thread count by 1 every 30 minutes until it hits maximum and the resets to minimum thread count so that every player would be aware of when a particular forum would be at maximum and minimum thread lengths.

WetSocket

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Vuron Posted:

Honestly without knowing the impact rerolling threads was having on the server I can’t tell whether this suggestion is good or bad. It definitely seems that rerolling was contributing to site-wide performance issues but that impact was almost certainly less than the effect that INCIT was having.

If re-rolling is a bad thing and the 30 minute time period is intolerable to most players then perhaps a more frequent cycling on the totals might work such as a reroll ever 10 minutes.

Another option would be to auto-increment the thread count by 1 every 30 minutes until it hits maximum and the resets to minimum thread count so that every player would be aware of when a particular forum would be at maximum and minimum thread lengths.

This doesn’t avoid the fact I still have to dryhump the site until I get my desired effect. And if it increments then people may never be able to meet the times when it’s at the desired amount. On/Off Switch for min/max would be the best option or just static every forum like said above.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

OR everyone could stop caring so much about the cred difference gained from 13 instead of 14 threads…

WetSocket

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

FAIL Posted:

OR everyone could stop caring so much about the cred difference gained from 13 instead of 14 threads…

And what’s the difference between the speed run on the lowest # and the one above it? Anywhere from 3-15 seconds? I want validation.

WetSocket edited this message on 05/01/2008 12:27PM

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

What if we rerolled the thread count only once per 24 hours then? It would be fair to everyone no matter what time of day they’re playing, or how long they can play.

MySpace Tom

Level 18 Camwhore

WeChall FOR LIFE

Reroll every 10 minutes. Display the current count on the forums list. Roll both max and min count at least once an hour.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

WetSocket Posted:

The four visits each day that the Cred and Flezz whores get each day is not going to strain the servers by having them refresh the forum every 30 seconds by going through the menus.

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve done something to address this since people entering and leaving was being nasty to the server.

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

MySpace Tom Posted:

Reroll every 10 minutes. Display the current count on the forums list. Roll both max and min count at least once an hour.

QFT, great solution.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

IT WAS NOT AN INEFFECTIVE FIX. THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT PEOPLE (I.E. YOU) WERE HAMMERING THE SERVER BECAUSE THEY DESPERATELY CRAVED AN EXTRA COUPLE HUNDRED CRED OR A COUPLE OF SAVED SECONDS. YEAH IT IS KIND OF PATHETIC.

BirdofPrey edited this message on 05/01/2008 1:13PM

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Zre Posted:

This is the most elegant solution. I don’t think there is really that much RPG value in random # of threads. Not enough to matter.

WetSocket

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

BirdofPrey Posted:

IT WAS NOT AN INEFFECTIVE FIX. THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT PEOPLE (I.E. YOU) WERE HAMMERING THE SERVER BECAUSE THEY DESPERATELY CRAVED AN EXTRA COUPLE HUNDRED CRED OR A COUPLE OF SAVED SECONDS. YEAH IT IS KIND OF PATHETIC.

Well the cred makes very little difference as far as deliveries are concerned. The time makes a pretty big difference for scoops as well as records.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

Marcos El Malo Posted:

This is the most elegant solution. I don’t think there is really that much RPG value in random # of threads. Not enough to matter.

signed

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

Marcos El Malo Posted:

I approve this post.

Seriously, if we’re all gonna camp until we get what we want, what is the point of variable thread counts. It’s just one more thing to optimize.

markchd edited this message on 05/01/2008 1:51PM

Leechbait

Avatar: 38669 Mon Nov 03 13:38:26 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

Vuron Posted:

this

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

or just ****ing post a ****ing schedule so the ****ing **** knobs will ****ing know when in the ****ing middle of the ****ing night they should ****ing be waking up, for ****s sake

seanpg71

[Brainfreeze]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

If a forum has 10 to 13 threads. Let us leave after anywhere from 10 to 13 threads. You’ve pwned it sufficiently after 10, but you can stick around if you want to make sure those bastards know their place.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!