Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Eliminate downvoting altogether: only let us upvote

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

topic.

What do you think? If we eliminate the down arrow that means:

-No one can vote down competing submissions;

-All submissions get positive scores encouraging users to contribute;

-Controversial submissions that people are more opinionated about (vote on) get an advantage over bland vanilla run-of-the-mill crap.

Those are some reasons that I’d like downvoting eliminated. Your thoughts?

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

Would your reasons include because it’s too difficult, in your opinion, to gain chocolate scoops for ForumBuildr currently?

Leechbait

Avatar: 38669 Mon Nov 03 13:38:26 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

Maybe eliminate upvoting altogether to make sure creative people can’t do well in Domination.

If you don’t want to downvote something, hit pbum. What’s the problem?

fcuk i teypeed inteligentily

Leechbait edited this message on 04/29/2008 6:14PM

gigerth

Avatar: 30869 Fri Jun 26 22:33:49 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was jealous so i changed his title

why don’t we eliminate upvoting

only allow downvoting, and keep the -5 deletion rule (i think this is the rule, dunno)

Leechbait

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

gigerth Posted:

why don’t we eliminate upvoting

only allow downvoting, and keep the -5 deletion rule (i think this is the rule, dunno)

LATE TO THE PARTY MAN

but its a good idea

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Let’s elimante upvoting an downvoting. So we can watch as our submission just sit there and don’t go anywhere!

Leechbait

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

the would be ttly elite

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Natalie Posted:

Would your reasons include because it’s too difficult, in your opinion, to gain chocolate scoops for ForumBuildr currently?

I’ve gotten bumloads of chco scoops, but my best entries get downvoted by the end of the week. I could care less about the scoops.

PS: COme over to my house and I’ll dominate you and leave a chocolate scoop on your chest.

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

Let’s have an oracle read the entrails of a sheep as a guide to what gets in.

Sonpansatan

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Downvoting is a necessary part of the game. I’ve gotten my stuff downvoted before and, while I’m sometimes surprised as to what succeeds and what doesn’t, I usually can tell which one of my submissions aren’t that good and will be downvoted.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I’m sure the OP does have chocolate scoops in mind.

I think the current system is solid, especially since the introduction of the “pbum” option.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Downvoting is good because the really ****ty stuff gets voted off and is out of the way so there’s less crap for everyone to sift through to vote. If every single submission stayed all week, there would be a ridiculous amount of submissions (especially in enemies).

And I know it’s been discussed before, but leaving a submission for a period of time even if it reaches -5 is a good idea. Having 24 hours or so at least guarantees you get a fair shot, and if you are still voted off, it’s because it sucked.

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

kittiejenn Posted:

And I know it’s been discussed before, but leaving a submission for a period of time even if it reaches -5 is a good idea. Having 24 hours or so at least guarantees you get a fair shot, and if you are still voted off, it’s because it sucked.

QFT

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

Natalie Posted:

scullyangel Posted:

I’m sure the OP does have chocolate scoops in mind.

I think the current system is solid, especially since the introduction of the “pbum” option.

Let’s not derail the discussion with presumptuous personal attacks, please?

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

No, my inquiry was based upon attempting to understand the reasoning behind the cessation of downvoting in this instance.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

Natalie Posted:

No, my inquiry was based upon attempting to understand the reasoning behind the cessation of downvoting in this instance.

Well I must say that I totally missed the new “Pbum” option when I made the thread so that may be a solution. But what I noticed on my submissions is they first get a long string of upvotes (obviously most people like them), then a long string of downvotes (huh?). It just reeks of gamesmanship I think.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

SG94 Posted:

I noticed on my submissions is they first get a long string of upvotes (obviously most people like them), then a long string of downvotes

If you get more downvotes than upvotes, I’m pretty sure that means most people do not like them.

I don’t know which topics were yours or anything, but one suggestion is don’t be too clever in your submissions that people can’t get the joke by quickly glancing over them. If people don’t recognize the joke/pun immediately, it tends to be poorly received.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

FAIL Posted:

If you get more downvotes than upvotes, I’m pretty sure that means most people do not like them.

I don’t know which topics were yours or anything, but one suggestion is don’t be too clever in your submissions that people can’t get the joke by quickly glancing over them. If people don’t recognize the joke/pun immediately, it tends to be poorly received.

I’m most worried with the pattern in the voting. I had one that got 11up/1down first: It’s at 12up/13down now. Doesn’t seem right.

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

We need to be able to downvote bad submissions, otherwise the quality of created forums would be ruined. There has to be a better way to solve the problem of chocolate gamers downvoting their competition.

What I don’t like about the chocolate in general is that it hands out tangible rewards for community activities. As long as there is an incentive to game the system, people will do that, and that’s just the way it is.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

But downvoting doesn’t increase your chances of getting chocolate, nor is chocolate currently a competitive part of Domination. The players who are very intense about Domination don’t care about the 1 scoop they might stop you from getting with their downvote — we deal in dozens of scoops at a time. I really think downvote waves are from people who think your idea sucks, not people who are trying to somehow gain chocolate through negative votes.

Also, pbum has been in there for AGES. Next to every submission, too!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!