Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games entirely hypothetical question

viscera

Avatar: 244707 2011-07-31 00:17:44 -0400

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Hacker

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Three years from now, you have to have completed a dissertation in a foreign language. bumuming English is your primary language, which would you prefer to spend three years studying, German or Russian? Your dissertation is for a graduate degree in literature, so going with German means studying Kafka, Mann, Goethe, and Brecht, among others. Russian would mean studying Nabokov, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Tolstoy…you get the idea. If you have no idea who any of those people are, just give me (hypothetical) advice on which language you’d rather learn.

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Avatar: 190122 2011-07-31 00:25:04 -0400

Level 62 Troll

Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person

I’ll take Russian. It’s more depressing stuff.

German. Hands down. While I can respect that Russia only recently designated beer as alcohol legally, the Germans know how to make it and what to do with it. And vodka’s for poor people.

Squarepusher

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

viscera Posted:

Three years from now, you have to have completed a dissertation in a foreign language. bumuming English is your primary language, which would you prefer to spend three years studying, German or Russian? Your dissertation is for a graduate degree in literature, so going with German means studying Kafka, Mann, Goethe, and Brecht, among others. Russian would mean studying Nabokov, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Tolstoy…you get the idea. If you have no idea who any of those people are, just give me (hypothetical) advice on which language you’d rather learn.

Goethe is very outdated as much as Dostoevsky. Chekhov is very funny and ironic, I’d say he was a /b/tard if /b/ would exist in that century. Kafka is a bad reading, srsly — as much as Koelho, Bach, Murakami and other pseudo-philosophic literature for 40-yrs virgin girls. Mann is really good, but you don’t need to “study” it — just read it in English. Tolstoy is a 700-page ethics-filled Bible if you take just the War and Peace. Nabokov is a good 1-time reading, pretty sad, unless you’re a pervert or obsessed with OMG MOAAAR LOLIS. Funny thing, Nabokov is pushing his identity so hard into the novel, that it feel like threesome all the time.

Bottomline: I’d say Russian clbumic lit is a bit more interesting than German, but I’d rather study modern literature instead.

viscera

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Hacker

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

I’ve read Lolita several times, and I agree that Nabokov’s pushing his identity a bit hard. But one could argue that he’s pushing everyone’s (or an aspect of everyone’s) identity. Lolita isn’t about pedophilia, it’s about idealistic love. And how nobody can live up to the standards of idealistic love. Considering that, it’s one of the best love stories of all time in its twisted and depressing realism. When Humbert visits Lolita at the end he sees that she’s no longer a perfect little “nymph” and she seems like a stranger to him. Perverted undertones of the novel aside, that situation happens to most (if not all) people at least once in their lifetime.

Kafka, Kafka is NOT bad reading. I can think up more interpretations of A Hunger Artist than I know what to do with.

bobdisgea

Avatar: 88331 2015-08-08 07:14:08 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

See avatar for why Duca is fat and single

Always tolstoy.

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

I’m sure the military would want me to learn Russian, since Germany isn’t really a threat anymore. So Russian. Plus Chekhov, Tolstoy, blah blah blah.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

German is extremely similar to English and thus easy to learn from what I’ve heard, so if I had to learn a language I’d probably pick that cause I’m lazy. However I think Russian would be better if you have the motivation to learn the damn thing.

Liiiiiight

Avatar: 241452 2010-09-29 23:40:36 -0400

[The Last Stand]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Can o Peas

[Aperture Science I-
nnovators
]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I’d say russian cause I like Russia for some reason and I hate german ‘cause of shool :<

MarvelBot209-

Avatar: 252848 2011-10-31 20:59:20 -0400

[The Last Stand]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I vote Russian. There’s good Russian authors (Tolstoy fan), and if you like studying music, Russian composers are just extraordinary too.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Russian, so I can finally understand what the hell they’re saying in Black Ops.

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

I don’t deal in hypotheticals.

However German is easier to learn than Russian. bumuming English is your first language.

viscera

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Hacker

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

English is my primary language, but not my first. I actually attempted to learn German about 7 years ago, but dropped the clbum because it was going to bring my GPA down to the point where I’d lose my scholarship. I think I have more resolve these days, but just saying….easy, lolno.

Ligeia

Avatar: 249419 2011-04-12 05:38:05 -0400

[enjoy GANG]

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Hypothetically, I’d vote Russian. But that’s only hypothetically speaking, of course.

viscera Posted:

English is my primary language, but not my first. I actually attempted to learn German about 7 years ago, but dropped the clbum because it was going to bring my GPA down to the point where I’d lose my scholarship. I think I have more resolve these days, but just saying….easy, lolno.

Why isn’t this **** totally Yeoman Rand? A completely useless character that adds nothing and everyone forgets her once she’s offscreen.

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

Bacchus Posted:

Why isn’t this **** totally Yeoman Rand? A completely useless character that adds nothing and everyone forgets her once she’s offscreen.

Lt. Barkley would also work.

viscera

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Hacker

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Why not Data? Nobody even got Data.

viscera Posted:

Why not Data? Nobody even got Data.

He’s smart. And when he had sex the other person liked it.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

Lt. Barkley would also work.

Barkley became a pwuedogod. I’m not down with that.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!