Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games Old-school games you love

Hobojim

Avatar: 225269 2010-12-18 04:46:40 -0500

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

Jokes are way over my head

So I’ve been on a old-school gaming kick recently, I’m not quite sure why. Maybe it’s due to the glory of emulators I can play old games (that I legally own of course) that I really used to love as a kid.

I just finished playing the original Final Fantasy, which was one of my favourites, but now realize is a heaping pile of garbage. Honestly. Terrible game. I guess my standards have just risen or something, or I lost all of my tolerance for level grinding and jRPG’s. I’m glad I finally finished it, though, because I’d tried dozens of times as a kid and could never figure out where the hell to go. I was going to replay Breath of Fire 1 and 2, but after Final Fantasy I don’t think I could stomach them.

RPG’s aside, every once in a while I’ll pick up and play Legend of Kage, which I adored as a kid and is still as awesomely fun as it used to be. For the NES, and if you haven’t played it, it’s pretty fun. You’re a ninja and have to save the princess by going through four stages (forest, sewers, climbing a castle wall and then in a castle) and when you save her she just gets her dumb bum kidnapped again while running back through the forest with you, starting over. It’s a score-whore game, but it’s awesome because it feels like you’re cheating when you play, as you jump about 200x your own height. It is hard, though, and you die in one hit (or two if you’ve powered up).

I’ve been debating playing through Legend of Zelda 2, as that was one of my favourites when I was a kid and I could never beat the last palace, but have been told it’s balls-to-the-wall hard despite how I remember it. I was thinking about dogreat timesenting my playthrough video style if I ever do, just for ****s and giggles.

What are some old-school games you guys enjoy?

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

You can’t compare Final Fantasy on the NES with Breath of Fire I and II on the SNES. If you haven’t played the first two BoF games in a while, give them another try, they’re clbumics imo and on one level with later 16 bit Final Fatasies.

Hobojim

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

Aldo_Anything Posted:

You can’t compare Final Fantasy on the NES with Breath of Fire I and II on the SNES. If you haven’t played the first two BoF games in a while, give them another try, they’re clbumics imo and on one level with later 16 bit Final Fatasies.

True, good point. I’ve played through the first BoF countless times as a kid, though. I never did beat the second, but the third is still one of my favourite RPG’s.

viscera

Avatar: 244707 2011-07-31 00:17:44 -0400

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Hacker

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

I can’t believe I paused my Project Runway marathon to read that whole post.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

balloon fight on nes. you fine upstanding member of societys don’t know nothin bout my balloon poppin skillz.

chrono trigger

Mega man 2

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

shining force master over here

Aldo_Anything Posted:

I just downloaded Breath of Fire 1, 2, 3 and 4 two nights ago so I could play through them all. Been told they’re still greats. I still enjoyed the Dragon Warrior games from the NES when I played them recently. Finished through 7 again now. (honestly, 7 is the longest and worst of them all graphics be damned)

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lord of the Rings by Interplay. It was one of, it not the first PC RPG game, and took some ideas from D&D while drawing on most of the LOTR mythology. It’s more convincing a LOTR game than even the ones published now, amazingly. I think a big part of that is so much is influenced by Peter Jackson’s trilogy, whereas the game is like stepping right into the book.

There were a number of subplots in Bree, for example, that fleshed it out as a believable hamlet and not just a pitstop on the way to Rivendell.

Unusual Pie

Avatar: 227082 2014-09-25 19:42:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Unusually Cute Pie :D

I’m also on an old-school gaming kick, revisiting those I loved and experiencing those I missed the first time around.

Just finishing up Breath of Fire 2 now and it does stand up to the test of time reasonably well. (I have the GBA version though, which has some difficulty tweaks – exp is easier to earn.) I also recently finished up Final Fantasy Legend (technically part of the SaGa series) and it was surprisingly decent.

Currently playing Mega Man: Dr. Wiley’s Revenge for the Game Boy. Phantasy Star II up next, along with Super Mario Bros 3 (which I haven’t played in 20 years and I’m really looking forward to).

I’m not going to say anything about Shining Force or Zelda II because I didn’t like either of those games. But Chrono Trigger yes, yes, yes.

Hobojim

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

Bacchus Posted:

I just downloaded Breath of Fire 1, 2, 3 and 4 two nights ago so I could play through them all. Been told they’re still greats. I still enjoyed the Dragon Warrior games from the NES when I played them recently. Finished through 7 again now. (honestly, 7 is the longest and worst of them all graphics be damned)

I couldn’t get in to 4 for some reason. I played it a bit and then just dropped it. The first one is a clbumic, to be sure, but it doesn’t compare at all to the third or to a lesser extent the second.

The first Dragon Warrior game was also pretty terrible in later years. I guess it was so popular because the characters and enemies were designed by that dude who wrote/animated Dragonball, but I guess with early RPG’s you can’t really expect a whole lot.

I’ve been meaning to play through Chrono Trigger for the umpteenth time, but I have so much else on my plate that I haven’t tried yet I don’t know when I’ll get around to it. If you’re looking for amazing RPG’s for SNES, by the way, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals was absolutely amazing, and probably my favourite one of all time. Well, tied with FF3/6, but that’s more nostalgia than anything. Although it does rock.

For puzzle lovers, the three Adventures of Lolo games were awesome for NES as well. I never could beat them, but god damn if it wasn’t fun to run that little blue blob around trying not to get shot.

Hobojim

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

Joseph of Suburbia Posted:

shining force master over here

Also I have never played a Shining Force because I never had a sega. Are they any good? What do they compare to?

bobdisgea

Avatar: 88331 2015-08-08 07:14:08 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

See avatar for why Duca is fat and single

viscera Posted:

I can’t believe I paused my Project Runway marathon to read that whole post.

i still believe season 2 is one of the greatest things ever put on tv

On subject ive been playing planescape torment and i pretty much think its the best game ever. i need to start the old fallouts too. if you just want old console games you can deal with it i guess. the only thing i have emulated in the last few months was the legend of zelda minish cap and i got bored of that fairly quick. but you did remind me that i need to play chrono trigger more.

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

Hobojim

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

bobdisgea Posted:

i still believe season 2 is one of the greatest things ever put on tv

On subject ive been playing planescape torment and i pretty much think its the best game ever. i need to start the old fallouts too. if you just want old console games you can deal with it i guess. the only thing i have emulated in the last few months was the legend of zelda minish cap and i got bored of that fairly quick. but you did remind me that i need to play chrono trigger more.

Fallout 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I’ve played through it more times than I can count. I love pretty much everything that Black Isle/Obsidian has ever put out.

That being said, I’ve tried to start up playing Planescape: Torment twice, and both times I got distracted with another game. I will have to try it again. Everyone says that it’s the best case for good game writing.

bobdisgea

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

Hobojim Posted:

Fallout 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I’ve played through it more times than I can count. I love pretty much everything that Black Isle/Obsidian has ever put out.

That being said, I’ve tried to start up playing Planescape: Torment twice, and both times I got distracted with another game. I will have to try it again. Everyone says that it’s the best case for good game writing.

it took about an hour for me to really get into it and decide that it was brilliant and perfect.

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

bobdisgea Posted:

On subject ive been playing planescape torment and i pretty much think its the best game ever. i need to start the old fallouts too.

Damnit Bob, I can’t believe I’m saying this but you have actually won me over by being 100% correct about Planescape: Torment. You are no longer dead to me.

I’m just going to pretend that moronic tv comment isn’t part of your post.

Hobojim

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 69 Troll

Malaise Posted:

Damnit Bob, I can’t believe I’m saying this but you have actually won me over by being 100% correct about Planescape: Torment. You are no longer dead to me.

Bob is actually a really likable guy if you just pretend most of his posts aren’t part of his posts.

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

Aldo_Anything Posted:

You can’t compare the NES with the SNES

bobdisgea

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

Malaise Posted:

i also like the big lebowski now

also i think people should play vampire the masquerade bloodlines. its ok to pirate it. activision killed the studio and they dont need your money so just pirate it and enjoy.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

FAIL Posted:

chrono trigger

Probably the only reason I still have my SNES hooked up to my tv.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!