Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Sports i think i know why a downvote wave hits midweek

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

domination: people are trying to prevent chocolate scoops.

thoughts?

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

It just might be another way people think they can get away with being a male reproductive organ. I don’t really see any last minute choco scoops in Domination and don’t know why people would think that way because the bigger scoop threat is last minute gambling and vanilla raids.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

I think people just go downvote crazy when their submissions hit -5. Perhaps there’s just a lot of that going on midweek?

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

Maybe people are just in a worse mood during the middle of the week as opposed to weekends.

Bragi

Level 10 Emo Kid

Did you pay Phil^10 back yet?

Players have admitted going on a downvoting spree when they see their suggestions getting downvoted into negatives. While it’s interesting to see how your suggestions are being voted, and slightly helpful before you submit others in the same vein, why not just have the see how your suggestions are doing bit only be viewable at the end, so there cannot be as much retaliatory voting. People could still see how all submissions (not just theirs) are ranked. Reactionary downvoting is certainly not the only reason for the midweek dip, but likely a large part of it.

inks

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve been pondering this. All of my submissions rose up initially (not to any great height) and then dived over the last couple of days.

I don’t have any sense of why this is happening. Other than I’ve noticed in my own reviewing it’s become a chore, after a couple of days slogging through and rating 40 proposed threads it’s a drag and I’m tending to rate lower.

I don’t think that the jaded feeling is quite enough to explain the switch from almost all +ve votes to almost all -ve votes though.

Sonpansatan

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I think it’s like this.

In the beginning, there are only a few submissions. They all are pretty different so people think they’re original and upvote them all.

After that, as more submissions come in, what was once unique is now buried in a sea of similar comments. When people see them now, they think they’re just another generic submission and downvote it, while the actually good ones continue to get upvoted. I’ve had one submission go up to +12 before dropping to -5 while others who were doing well before are now struggling.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

crayoncakes Posted:

Maybe people are just in a worse mood during the middle of the week as opposed to weekends.

I honestly can spend less time messing around with the game on the weekend therfore I generally don’t vote much on others ideas. In contrast I can generally find more time during the week during a slow period at work to scan through a good selection of submissions.

I definitely expect that someone who has a bad day at work or in clbum will possibly take out their frustration on those poor submissions.

I honestly feel that if there is strategic voting going on it’s going to be done to pump up the votes of your friends. I don’t necessarily suspect clan voting because even submissions from people in organized clans get beat up but there might be IRL friends that talk offline and help each other out.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Yeah, I usually read through a few pages of submissions before submitted my own on Sunday. I try something that hasn’t been done yet. And still On Tuesday I’m hit with around +20 downvotes. I had only gotten few chocolate scoops I noticed on Monday. But now the downvotes outweigh the number of upvotes.

Kerridwen_Ka-
li

Level 29 Emo Kid

I HEART CANADIANS!

I’ve always suspected that after Domination ends and people didn’t win the trophies they were hoping for they move over to Forumbuildr and take out their frustration on the submissions. Just a guess.

Odalisque

Avatar: 24438 2011-07-31 00:23:47 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 40 Emo Kid

DAAAAAAANG, SHE FLY

What a weird week. After most of my submissions were doing alright the first two days, yesterday they nearly tanked. Then suddenly today I get 3 chocolate scoops. There’s some kind of sudden, mbumive upvoting going on.

Neurotic Nin-
ja

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

crayoncakes Posted:

*Raises hand* That would be me…. especially if I have to deal with the clingmaster

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

I got tired today, so I did some random upvoting. Not really a good idea as some bad submission would get a good vote from me. But hey, when you think about, if it’s really bad, the people that really think about their voting will vote it down and the random downvoters will do what they do best. At least I can spread a little bit of sunshine.

d35tiny

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yea i agree there is a “downvoting wave effect”, which comes like this:

I get ****ed one of my submissions is downvoted so i throw some random donwvotes of my own

-> than people whom i screwd up get ****ed in their turn and start downvoting, and so on…and no one wins

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!