Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Exploits vs. Achievements

pokeyseks81

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

First off, let’s get the complaining out of the way. Right now Exploits are more like Trophies in Kingdom of Loathing, in that in order to obtain them, you need to either perform an arbitrary task, (be here on the first day, don’t wear pants when new years comes around) reach a seemingly unattainable goal by a casual user (be at the top of one of three leaderboards, level your familiars up to a total weight limit that cannot be attained unless you have all possible ones including ones that are no longer availaible)* or happen to be at the whim of the people who run the game. (Being gay, or by getting a real life tattoo of some in-game artwork)

Conversely, Achievements (on XBox or Steam) usually have a list of most of the tasks necessary to unlock the achievement and at least one is something that is super easy to do, whether it’s pbuming the first stage or killing your first enemy. They usually get harder than that scaling to usually some pretty hard or near impossible tasks, depending on the game. If I remember correctly Sneak King’s achievements were hilariously easy to get.

Now, I’m not criticizing how Exploits work in this game, but if you want them to compare more to Achievements, I suggest that a couple of changes get made. Nothing taken away, but a couple of additions. First, I would suggest a really easy achievement for either finishing your first mission or pwning your first forum. It’s easy to get, yes, and anyone can do it on their first day. (Hopefully) This will help reinforce the idea that Exploits are like achievements and how they operate. Then, there should be a couple of incrementally increasing exploits for things like number of contacts on your sTalk list, number of forums visted or pwned and number of missions completed.

These additional exploits would be listed in the exploits list right from the beginning, but not appear on the public profile page until they are unlocked. In a player’s exploits list they would either have some sort of locked icon or maybe the actual icon greyed out with a big red circle with a hash through it obscuring most of the graphic. Most of these would list how to earn the achievement, but the hardest ones might only be filled with question marks, or have really vague descriptions like, for example, “pwn a great many forums”.

The way Exploits work now is fine, but I think that these additions will help make the site a little more fun and be an extra carrot to dangle in front of users faces. Like some of the design philosophy that went into Pogo.com says, everyone wins something. The more you can make every user feel special and like a winner, the more they will be satisfied with your site.

*This I believe is no longer true in Kingdom of Loathing, though it was for quite some time.

WEED GUN

Avatar: 719 Thu Oct 16 23:23:48 -0400 2008

[male reproductive organ wolf]

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Well, KOL has both Achievements and Trophies, don’t forget—and it seems like most hardcore KOL players aim towards having rare trophies rather than achievements, since one can display trophies.

pokeyseks81

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

I was just using Kingdom of Loathing’s trophies as the closest similar feature to compare to in a similar type of game. But yes, KoL’s achievements (the quest log) are only visible to the player himself, which is a very big difference between from the achievements you find on Steam or in XBox games. There is no need for a player to care about what is on his KoL quest log in the same terms specifically because other players don’t have any visibility there. This gets away from my point on the OP, though. Simply put, I didn’t mention those because they are a very dissimilar feature.

BINGEBOT 2015

Avatar: 38 2010-12-05 22:39:25 -0500

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

pokeyseks81 Posted:

I was just using Kingdom of Loathing’s trophies as the closest similar feature to compare to in a similar type of game. But yes, KoL’s achievements (the quest log) are only visible to the player himself, which is a very big difference between from the achievements you find on Steam or in XBox games. There is no need for a player to care about what is on his KoL quest log in the same terms specifically because other players don’t have any visibility there. This gets away from my point on the OP, though. Simply put, I didn’t mention those because they are a very dissimilar feature.

Inevitably we probably will have at least a partial list of exploits that can be acquired. On the 360, most of the time not all of the exploits are displayed, there are some secrets ones. Also, worth noting that we are building these out as the beta runs on. So yes, having one for beating Denture Chat, Uploading your first XSS, or beating a forum on the first go AND uploading the XSS are certainly worth having and we will most likely add exploits like this, or similar. The program tracks progress so changes are we’ll be able to reward existing players as we develop new exploits (if they’ve already gone through that hoop, so to speak).

Great ideas though, keep em coming.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Should also mention that Exploits are an early concept right now, we’re still testing and playing with the idea. All this feedback is great.

I agree that there should be more attainable exploits, and more of those will come soon. Last night I deployed a quest related one that everyone can achieve easily (providing they get far enough in the game—as of this morning only one player had achieved it, but I suspect by tomorrow morning there will be many more.)

I will probably deploy one for choosing each clbum soon too.

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/02/2007 10:41AM

cube

[egg]

Level 10 Troll

cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube cube

I’ll just go ahead and mention that I’m gay IRL if that give me an exploitLog in to see images!

Game_Whino

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I think it’d be cool to see some sort of minor in-game bonus with exploits. (a small addition to ego or whatever) or maybe a new stat called “E-male reproductive organ/woman's genitals”. Getting a Trophy for the sake of having it is nice, but even a mild in-game bonus would make them just that much cooler.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

cube Posted:

I’ll just go ahead and mention that I’m gay IRL if that give me an exploitLog in to see images!

You would have to prove to me that you’re gay first, and since the only proof that I’d accept is a picture of you going down on a guy with Forumwarz written across your forehead, I don’t think that’s going to happen.

edit: it’s for special occasions

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/02/2007 2:02PM

HAIL SATIN

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

in all seriousness it isn’t hard to be gay

now homosexual, that’s a trick

Filthy bumis-
tant

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Boy that sure is a wall of text about nothing.

Renaissancem-
anjoe

Level 69 Troll

baby killer

LOL

Renaissancemanjoe was banned for this post by Aldo_Anything

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

cyber laugh

Johnny Mac was banned for this post by Aldo_Anything

Chuck Diesel

Avatar: 220714 2022-12-08 14:16:09 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

Game_Whino Posted:

new stat called “E-male reproductive organ/woman's genitals”.

Awesome. It’s great seeing the evolution of forumwarz.

Edit:Also, CYBER LAUGHING.

Chuck Diesel edited this message on 02/11/2010 6:54PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!