Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Debate Discussion for Global Rule #3

DG-Root

Avatar: 86945 Fri Jan 30 20:49:15 -0500 2009

[Play INCIT]

Level 40 Hacker

“Uber Macro”

Global Rule #3 Posted:

3) The use of programming scripts in chats, to run forums, to make posts, to send Tubmails, etc. is prohibited.

Now, the rule as I have interpreted it means “don’t use a script to:”

• Make posts.
  • Send tubmails.
  • Administrate a forums.
  • Send chat messages.

The reason for this topic isn’t to get anyone banned or to ruin anyone’s fun, I’m honestly just trying to get a better definition of the rules.

I see two general reasons for this rule:

1. To prevent spam messages from being sent.
  2. So automated services are not controlling multi-player aspects of Forumwarz.

I see the general purpose of this rule to mean: “Don’t use a script to stand in for user interactions in multi-player portions of Forumwarz.” If this is the case, then where does Tubsweetie’s IDC emote words script stand? ( Which is a neat script, Tubsweetie. Log in to see images! ) While the user is consensually typing the messages being sent, the script is the one sending it. This is technically against the rule, although nobody is really getting hurt in the process.

Is it the matter that scripts are being used at all? The matter that the scripts shouldn’t be entirely automated? The content / quality of the messages being sent? What are the defining factors that state whether a script can be used in the context of messaging?

I can see why the rule would be left brief (so that the definition of “spam” can’t be debated) but perhaps a small list of acceptable examples / counter-examples would better my understanding.

That rule is also used for preventing free advertising.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

It’s pretty much meant to discourage scripts being used to cheat/shortcut dom (running forums), artificially increase rank in contests/spam flamebate and prevent too much server load via tubmail.

Within reason, IDC is a “no-man’s land” and is pretty well unmoderated. Tubs has his script, h0g had/has his spam script… if they don’t break the server, they’ve been allowed in the past.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Here’s the gist of it – if you use a script that will get you an unfair gameplay advantage, increase the server load, or annoy people by spamming or some other means, there’ll be a problem. If in doubt, ask first..

Edit: too slow

Catt although edited this message on 06/26/2010 1:32PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!