Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Wanna Cyber? [CLOSED] How to I complete the cybersex with Reilly O'Bill? He just asks for more!

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Knowing what I know and seeing what I see, I honestly think Cid made the right move by moving the thread. Most of the time, it’s not too difficult to see if someone’s RPing when asking a question like this – looking at the user’s level and visit history, it’s really, really, really damned obvious that it was a legit question.

That said, had it been posted in the camwhores forum, or GRP or anywhere on that side *other* than ARP, I’d have said let it stay where it was. But *ARP* is not the place for game-related questions that aren’t part of a character’s RP persona.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Also, plk, let’s read the entire paragraph you quoted: ”This can be a tricky thing to moderate, so please be patient and expect some subjectivity. Don’t use the ARP forum to seriously bring up issues or questions — we’ll just bumume you’re role-playing. If you doubt your ability to faithfully role-play, try practicing in GRP instead.”

1. The bolded part is pretty irrelevant. It’s a more subjective moderation.

2. Your claim that “The implication there is that it’s okay to RP in ARP as a site noob” is pretty much contradicted by JB’s statement: ”Don’t use the ARP forum to seriously bring up issues or questions”. His followup comment of what we might bumume isn’t an all-encompbuming decision; it’s just one possibility.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Sergeant Cid Posted:

Also, plk, let’s read the entire paragraph you quoted: ”This can be a tricky thing to moderate, so please be patient and expect some subjectivity. Don’t use the ARP forum to seriously bring up issues or questions — we’ll just bumume you’re role-playing. If you doubt your ability to faithfully role-play, try practicing in GRP instead.”

1. The bolded part is pretty irrelevant. It’s a more subjective moderation.

2. Your claim that “The implication there is that it’s okay to RP in ARP as a site noob” is pretty much contradicted by JB’s statement: ”Don’t use the ARP forum to seriously bring up issues or questions”. His followup comment of what we might bumume isn’t an all-encompbuming decision; it’s just one possibility.

Sorry, I didn’t want to be a pedant and quote the whole paragraph for you, so I paraphrased. Anyway, the issue of RPing as a site noob was brought up and talked about in the thread about ARP in the rules charter forum. I don’t frankly care whether you moved this particular thread or not, but I’m just pointing out that you should expect that people might RP as site noobs in ARP in the future.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

spacekadt Posted:

looking at the user’s level and visit history

I’m sorry, I’m not a mod and can’t look at their visit history.

I reiterate: By making this a precedent, the mods are essentially telling the entire forum “this person is a newbie who you can’t troll” or “this person is an established player who’s role-playing a newbie” who they then won’t want to troll. You saw how everything on emohunter stopped when that came to light. I don’t feel it’s the mods place to decide whether ANYTHING placed in ARP is RP or not, unless it is explicitly excluded by the rules of that forum, as plk pointed out. No embedded shock, no bringing up a user’s real-life issues, etc. None of those restricted things is present in the OP.

And at the risk of getting banned for mini-modding, can I remind you that…

Breaking character — or the illusion of RP itself — can get you banned.

I maintain that Cid did exactly that by moving this thread, but leaving SanDyk’s. Now I know that EM0GiRL- is NOT an alt of an existing player and so any attempts of hers to RP as such are forevermore squashed.

The thing I’m trying to get to here, but I’m blinded with rage so I’m not sure I can, is that the thread SHOULD NOT have been moved. Cid could have TMed the player and pointed her to the KB. Moving it and saying to everyone “LOOK! LOOK! REAL NEWBIE HERE! I’M GOING TO PROTECT HER! IF YOU SEE SOMEONE ASKING FOR HELP IN ARP JUST IGNORE THEM UNTIL THEY CAN BE PROTECTED, OR THE THREAD’S LEFT LONG ENOUGH THAT YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THEY’RE JUST PLAYING AROUND!” doesn’t serve any useful purpose whatsoever.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Wow, you totally took the wrong interpretation on that, MCB. This wasn’t about ‘protecting a noob’. This was about moving a thread from where it did not belong and to where it did.

I’m shocked that you were so easily ‘blinded with rage’. Additionally, I’m surprised that you bumume I haven’t contacted the player behind the scenes. Not only did I warn him/her about posting in the wrong forum, and pointed out where the KB & wiki could help him/her out, I also tempbanned him/her for illegal alts. All in all, I covered all the bases, I thought.

And when have we ever said that newbies can’t be trolled?

SanDyk

Avatar: 175636 2012-01-01 09:50:12 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I am the internet equivelent of Jon Stewart! Except less funny...

I’m with bananahammer here. They can’t learn if you keep them in a bubble

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

You know I love you, Banhammer, but you really don’t see the difference right up front with a level 18 character and a level 69 character?

SanDyk isn’t RP’ing a newbie, he’s RP’ing a troll. There’s a difference.

That said, if JB decided to play through the game tomorrow with a new character and hit an appropriate level for a quest and posted in ARP asking how to beat it, I’d move it. Even knowing that it’s JB. Posting in ARP pretty much removes the doubt that the character is an actual newbie and confirms that it is an alt. How many newbies have actually posted their serious game questions in RP? If a character wants to RP as a site newbie, there’s no reason they can’t post their questions (whether they know the answer or not) in GD. Note to trolls: If you’ve already pbumed a mission and are asking about it on the same character or are posting questions simply to troll us in response to that comment, I can and will ban you for trolling – don’t test it.

If someone wants to create doubt as to whether they’re a newbie or not, it’s best to act like a newbie. And that means asking your questions in the appropriate forum instead of ARP.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

SanDyk Posted:

I’m with bananahammer here. They can’t learn if you keep them in a bubble

Even with the amount of… bile in this thread, I’ve seen some good input. I think Spacey & Ricket should talk it over, about whether or not to simply allow ‘obvious noobs’ that wander into ARP with what should be Game Discussion questions take their chances.

Again, my intent was to put the thread where it belonged, not ‘protect a noob’. If you bumume more than the intent, that’s your issue, not mine.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I have apparently shed every last vestige of modness from myself: The non-mods agree with me, the mods disagree with me.

Death to mods!

Srsly, I’m blinded with rage because no matter the reasonings and the thoughts behind moving a thread from ARP to CD, to those of us who CAN’T see behind the scenes, it feels like emohunter all over again, only this time, from the mods.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Completely different situations, actually. But we’ve discussed this as far as it needs to go.

Thanks for you input.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!