Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Srs Bsns Wordfilters.

Chuck Diesel

Avatar: 220714 2022-12-08 14:16:09 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

I think the rules should be changed when it comes to filters.

I understand that it can’t be a common word, but then what would be the point of buying one?

You’d get more people purchasing filters if you lightened up on the rules.

Here’s what I propose, which is subject to change at any time.

Allow common words, but only to a limit. The whole fun of having a filter is for people to use it, take ‘lmao’ filtering to ‘Please ban me for one week.’ for example. Clbumic. There could be a limit of how many common words that can be filtered, because if there’s too many, communication would be difficult. If anything, being a little lighter on the rules would probably bring in some more filters.

Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

yes. also because the current filters list is ****ing pathetic.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

I was going to say.

Duca and scitard do not a filter list make.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Joseph of Suburbia Posted:

I was going to say.

Duca and scitard do not a filter list make.

I’m sorry, but I didn’t have enough BP to buy more than one filter. Log in to see images!

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

I’m guessing the rationale for not allowing common words to be filtered is because they can’t be turned off (because people pay for them) and they get really annoying. I’m fine with the current policy because I don’t want to have to type “H ello”.

Chuck Diesel

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

I’m guessing the rationale for not allowing common words to be filtered is because they can’t be turned off (because people pay for them) and they get really annoying. I’m fine with the current policy because I don’t want to have to type “H ello”.

I understand this completely, and I agree, to an extent. I’m not talking about getting rid of all the rules
and having a bunch of common words being filtered. what I mean, is that some common words should be allowed
but only a certain number of them at a time. We already have filters being rejected, so if there’s
and issue with there being too many common filters, then the bp could be refunded.

Teh Cezar

Avatar: 139026 2011-07-31 00:02:35 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

You know you can avoid filters right? After you see the filter, accidentally use it, and the fun is over, you can just avoid it.

Type ”& shy ;” without the spaces and quotation marks INSIDE the word
Teh Cezar edited this message on 05/31/2010 3:03AM

Chuck Diesel

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

Teh Cezar Posted:

You know you can avoid filters right? After you see the filter, accidentally use it, and the fun is over, you can just avoid it.

Type ”& shy ;” without the spaces and quotation marks INSIDE the word

It’s also a feature in FWZ Orange. Log in to see images!

VGA

Avatar: 39570 2010-02-17 02:59:45 -0500

[WeChall is a ****ty klan]

Level 27 Troll

“Gaping Asshole”

Is this filtering for the chatbox ?

Maybe common words should get filtered a percentage of the time. The more common the less chance. Would make it totally weird, too :-D

DG-Root

Avatar: 86945 Fri Jan 30 20:49:15 -0500 2009

[Play INCIT]

Level 40 Hacker

“Uber Macro”

If the wordfilters are only for a finite amount of time, but they’re for words that are rarely used, then that kinda ruins the point of the wordfilter. Log in to see images!

I think that: time_filter_is_in_place = (magical_constant / frequency_of_filter)

So, if the word is something extremely common (ie: and), it would be in place for maybe a minimum of a day, and if the word was something rarely used (ie: fhqwhgads), then it would be in place for a relatively long time.

Then everybody would have their fun and get their money’s worth.

Horray.

Orifice

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

You could sell filters that expire after x numbers of uses of the word in question, but that’d be open to people getting rid of a filter they don’t like by using the word over and over again.

To do it properly you’d need stats on word frequency in IDC, which I can only imagine being infeasibly costly in terms of computer time to break down and count the words in every IDC message.

Maybe something similar drawing on canned statistics for word frequency… if such statistics exist. But I doubt they’d include all the words that are common around here even if they do exist.

DG-Root

Avatar: 86945 Fri Jan 30 20:49:15 -0500 2009

[Play INCIT]

Level 40 Hacker

“Uber Macro”

Orifice Posted:

To do it properly you’d need stats on word frequency in IDC, which I can only imagine being infeasibly costly in terms of computer time to break down and count the words in every IDC message.

Maybe something similar drawing on canned statistics for word frequency… if such statistics exist. But I doubt they’d include all the words that are common around here even if they do exist.

For simplicity’s sake I think a scale from 1 to 20 and a rough estimate would speed things up at the expense of finely-tuned accuracy.

Orifice

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

DG-Root Posted:

For simplicity’s sake I think a scale from 1 to 20 and a rough estimate would speed things up at the expense of finely-tuned accuracy.

You’re still talking about clbumifying every possible word… unless it’s done on a case by case basis when the filter is approved. That could work. Although people would probably accuse whoever does the approving (mods? or just admin… I don’t know) of bias… not that that’s anything new.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Maybe ET would be more open for rule talks if people were actually buying word filters.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

maybe more people would buy filters if et were more open to rule talk

Adapt edited this message on 05/31/2010 5:30PM

Adapt Posted:

maybe more people would buy filters if et were more open to rule talk

This Log in to see images!

Chuck Diesel

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

­­I would like to point out my irritation about the current wordfilters. The were > where filter was refunded because it was dubbed “too common”, yet the current filters: bum, ****, woman's genitals, fabulous person, ****, and ****, Aren’t apparently “common”. I find this to be pretty ****ing very special, and I’d either like for the were > where filter to be reinstated, or these filters refunded.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Chuck Diesel Posted:

­­I would like to point out my irritation about the current wordfilters. The were > where filter was refunded because it was dubbed “too common”, yet the current filters: bum, ****, woman's genitals, fabulous person, ****, and ****, Aren’t apparently “common”. I find this to be pretty ****ing very special, and I’d either like for the were > where filter to be reinstated, or these filters refunded.

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=were&word2=****

Chuck Diesel

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

Catt although Posted:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=were&word2=****

­Catt, if you would also keep in mind what words are common in flamebate and idc, and not just the whole internet. Of course were is going to be a more common word, but when it comes down to it, **** is a pretty common word in IDC, along with most of the other filters that are currently in place.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

also, these are funnier to me
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!