Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Politics, religion and sex

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

from my experience, these discussion topics are tedious and everyone makes the same arguments over and over again. how about you?

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

My impression is no matter what the context, the people who participate in such debates will at some point state their positions and try to suggest that their positions are superior to all others, supporting their bumertion with misconstrued facts, fastidious implication and thinly veiled opinion.

AIDS woman's genitals

Avatar: 184403 2009-09-17 04:10:15 -0400

Level 69 Troll

show me your zucchini and I'll show you my cugreat timesber :zak:

mterek Posted:

My impression is no matter what the context, the people who participate in such debates will at some point state their positions and try to suggest that their positions are superior to all others, supporting their bumertion with misconstrued facts, fastidious implication and thinly veiled opinion.

Not so! Also,how do you go through steps 1-3 then make thinly veiled opinions? Is that even possible to do after steps 1-3.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

mterek Posted:

You can think that if you want, but science PROVES that on the internet, people just like to repeat their arguments over and over because it’s easier to copy-paste than to come up with something new.

Bob Sprankle blogs about this phenomenon here, and that’s just from the FIRST page on Google.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

MC Banhammer Posted:

You can think that if you want, but science PROVES that on the internet, people just like to repeat their arguments over and over because it’s easier to copy-paste than to come up with something new.

Bob Sprankle blogs about this phenomenon here, and that’s just from the FIRST page on Google.

i was talking about real life, not the internet

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Professor Commie PhD Posted:

i was talking about real life, not the internet

I was responding to mterek, not you.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

mterek Posted:

If you don’t think your own position is superior, is it really ‘your’ position?

It’s part and parcel of believing one thing to be true, that you think things contradicting that view are false (even if your viewpoint is an inclusive one and you think there are many correct views, you implicitly disagree with people who say there’s only one right answer).

Let people bumert whatever they think is right, and if you think they’re wrong then demonstrate why with some bumertions (hopefully better supported ones) of your own. Or choose not to participate if you really think they’re stupid beyond repair.

man-man edited this message on 05/28/2010 6:41PM

Drakodan

Avatar: 57623 2010-05-29 20:03:09 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Surfing the Tubes

^ I forgot the technical name for it, but that’s the theory that people tend to think positively of their own thoughts and actions, and negatively of the thoughts and actions of others.

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 25677 Tue Mar 31 17:59:16 -0400 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

purchace championchips

Drakodan Posted:

^ I forgot the technical name for it, but that’s the theory that people tend to think positively of their own thoughts and actions, and negatively of the thoughts and actions of others.

pretentious ignorance?

Or is that just Christianity?

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Drakodan Posted:

If you don’t “think positively of” of your own thoughts, why were you thinking them? If you claim a position then you automatically affirm it to be correct and hence deny any mutually exclusive position. Unless you’re willing to believe “A and not A”.

Being open-minded isn’t constantly vacillating and going on about how wrong you probably are, it’s being willing to change your mind if presented with a better idea. If you’re uncertain, that’s a viewpoint too, but you know what they call a person who answers “what do you think” with “well different people think all kinds of things, I couldn’t possibly have an opinion of my own”. A politician Log in to see images!

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

AIDS woman's genitals Posted:

Not so! Also,how do you go through steps 1-3 then make thinly veiled opinions? Is that even possible to do after steps 1-3.

Hmm.

1. Illegal aliens are hurting America. (state the position)

2. All other countries benefit from the American example, even Mexico. Illegals are undermining the American message to the world. (suggest it is superior)

3. Studies show 99% of illegals are tomato pickers.(miscostrued fact)

4. If they were really smart, they could go to college. (fastidious implication)

5. The facts just show that illegals are stupid. (veiled opinion)

#5 is nothing more than a fallacious generalization of #3, and it’s worse if ‘illegals’ was substituted for ‘mexicans’. #4 is almost a truism, but sneeringly suggests #5 (and is treated by #5 as a ‘fact’Log in to see images!.

man-man Posted:

If you don’t think your own position is superior, is it really ‘your’ position?

If a decision was made on the person’s part, it’s his/her position. Religion and party affiliation are typically given to kids by their parents, but remaining with those positions is just as much a choice as switching away from them.

man-man Posted:

It’s part and parcel of believing one thing to be true, that you think things contradicting that view are false (even if your viewpoint is an inclusive one and you think there are many correct views, you implicitly disagree with people who say there’s only one right answer).

Let people bumert whatever they think is right, and if you think they’re wrong then demonstrate why with some bumertions (hopefully better supported ones) of your own. Or choose not to participate if you really think they’re stupid beyond repair.

Our brains don’t work like that. Instinctively we’re not looking for truth, we’re looking to be right. That’s why it took several thousand years until Bacon’s scientific method for us to approach fact logically. It’s not intuitive at all.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

mterek Posted:

Instinctively we’re not looking for truth, we’re looking to be right.

I don’t see the difference, are there any other synonyms you could use?

mterek Posted:

That’s why it took several thousand years until Bacon’s scientific method for us to approach fact logically. It’s not intuitive at all.

Then everyone else needs to catch up with human progress, at least as far as the Enlightenment.

TZX

[WeChall is a ****ty klan]

Level 29 Hacker

“1337”

Applying the scientific method gives some results on why exactly discussions tend to stall; This book deals with a certain thought patterns in authoritarian thinking. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!