Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Do you believe in Evolution?

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I believe in a thing called love

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

mterek Posted:

Single celled eukaryotes → multi-celled eukaryotes isn’t that hard to believe. Some prokaryotes also aggregate and specialize functions in films.

Prokaryotes to eukaryotes isn’t all that far fetched either when one understands how organelles arose.

The real problem is how some inorganic gbumes, metals, non-metals and halogens mixed with lightning and water somehow produced prokaryotes.

I’m getting something of an education in this stuff as part of my degree course (weird system here… I sign up to do Computer Science, they have us do a course from the general sciences options alongside it in the first year) so I don’t have any trouble believing it. Just scaling up the subject of apparent disbelief to the large scale case.

I mean, it is pretty f’in incredible that every diverse form of life, in the seas, the air, on land, be it animal or plant or neither, that all of it started from a single ancestor. But incredible and impossible are two markedly different things. You often see people argue out of personal incredulity, that something just couldn’t be, but then you learn more and see that it can be the case, and that it’s the best explanation going.

Relevant comic link right there…

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

I believe in revolution. I myself am a revolutionist Log in to see images!

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

quangntenemy Posted:

I believe in revolution. I myself am a revolutionist Log in to see images!

Viva la revolucion!

This is the 18th time were discussing this topic on flamebate.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

It’s not something one believes in; it is, as pointed out earlier in the thread, a fact. We don’t “believe in” gravity; it simply is. Similarly, we don’t “believe in” evolution; it simply is.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

OverclockedJesus Posted:

It’s not something one believes in; it is, as pointed out earlier in the thread, a fact. We don’t “believe in” gravity; it simply is. Similarly, we don’t “believe in” evolution; it simply is.

This. Framing evolution as a belief inherently implies merit to the possibility of disbelieving. Even the Vatican acknowledges that evolution, that is, species changing forms over time, is an indisputable fact. Now, the specific mechanisms of evolution, the time frame over which evolution occurs, steady progress vs. spurts, and even whether evolution is directed by deity are, to a certain extent, up for debate; evolution itself is not (except in Kansas public schools Log in to see images!

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

trolling cd with topics about evolution. sigh.

Adapt edited this message on 05/25/2010 9:36PM

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Adapt Posted:

trolling cd with topics about evolution. sigh.

I don’t know why you think it’s ‘trolling’. It’s a current topic in our society, and relevant to a specific discussion I’ve been having. And not everyone that posted in the thread has previously shared their view on the issue, either. If you’d prefer, I could have necroed a thread, but that’s not really appropriate.

In any event, I’ve seen a lot of great points brought up here, or at least revisited. In fact, I came away with a solid counter-point when debating with fundies who try to cast doubts based on the phrase ‘theory of evolution.’ Much appreciated.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Sergeant Cid Posted:

In fact, I came away with a solid counter-point when debating with fundies who try to cast doubts based on the phrase ‘theory of evolution.’ Much appreciated.

The real counterpoint there is the scientific use of the word theory – to be a theory instead of a hypothesis, an idea has to agree with all the evidence, make testable predictions, be potentially falsifiable but have not been actually falsified despite that.

Common usage makes it sound like a guess. That is not the way the word is used in Science™

But fundies would probably still insistently say “but it’s just a theory”, even after you patiently explain that it does not mean what they think it means, and that the theory of evolution is about as much a guess as the theory of universal gravitation. You have to be pretty willing to ignore facts to continue being a fundie.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Sergeant Cid Posted:

I don’t know why you think it’s ‘trolling’. It’s a current topic in our society, and relevant to a specific discussion I’ve been having. And not everyone that posted in the thread has previously shared their view on the issue, either. If you’d prefer, I could have necroed a thread, but that’s not really appropriate.

In any event, I’ve seen a lot of great points brought up here, or at least revisited. In fact, I came away with a solid counter-point when debating with fundies who try to cast doubts based on the phrase ‘theory of evolution.’ Much appreciated.

It horrifies me a little that you are actually using Forumwarz to crowdsource debate points, but if it works more power to you.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

I don’t see any points that haven’t been brought up time and time again. I remain unconvinced as to how exactly the point of this is not just to get people to argue with each other.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Adapt Posted:

I don’t see any points that haven’t been brought up time and time again. I remain unconvinced as to how exactly the point of this is not just to get people to argue with each other.

I haven’t seen any arguments here. I’ve seen people having very civil discussion.

You seem to be implying that my OP is not an honest one. That’s definitely not the case.

Bear

Avatar: 19845 2011-10-31 11:07:12 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

I like this thread, no matter what others say.

NeoVid

Avatar: 174653 Fri May 22 01:54:45 -0400 2009

[WeChall]

Level 63 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

On one side, you have rich, pretentious, over-educated white people who say that everything started when a blob of **** in the middle of the universe that contained everything in the universe blew up and scattered said **** all over the universe which over a few billion years magically formed the earth (which is around 4.5 billion years old or so) and over billions of years, we evolved from fish.

On the other side, you have most of America; middle to lower clbum, less formally educated people who believe that about 5,000-10,000 years ago, some all-powerful, all-knowing presence just went “POOF” and bam, everything.

Both options sound like bull**** to me.

There’s the interesting thing about facts: if they sound unbelievable, you can study them and find out how they work.

And trust me, I recently studied quantum physics, and I know how unbelievable science can sound.

Did you know that if you run at a wall, there’s always a chance you’ll quantum-tunnel straight through it? Keep trying and see!

Drakodan

Avatar: 57623 2010-05-29 20:03:09 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Surfing the Tubes

Well played, Bear.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Here I go again Log in to see images!

Did you know there are two different KINDS of evolution? Macroevolution and microevolution.

Macroevolution is the one you’re probably referring to — the evolution of one species into another. That’s the one that says monkey and humans had a common ancestor.

Microevolution is evolution within a species, such as bacteria which evolve to become immune to antibiotics.

While we have witnessed microevolution first-hand, no one has yet been able to come up with a scientific proof that can be verified for macroevolution. There is NO WAY to do that for macroevolution, because a key step, “Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment”, cannot be performed without thousands or millions of years for the experiment to run its course.

So macroevolution, despite what man-man those “rationalists” say, will always, ALWAYS, remain just a theory. Unless of course something comes along which disproves it.

MC Banhammer edited this message on 06/04/2010 5:21PM

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

MC Banhammer, stop trolling. Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Ricket Posted:

MC Banhammer, stop trolling. Log in to see images!

Please point out to me where I was trolling.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!