Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rage R.I.P. Net Neutrality

That Reactio-
n Face Guy

Avatar: 223807 2009-12-29 01:30:17 -0500

Level 69 Troll

THIS IS MY CONFUSED FACE

Adapt Posted:

I feel like retracting this, or at least minimizing the damage is going to take exponentially more effort. The internet is big business. And the big players have a lot of power here unfortunately.

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

megazeroexe Posted:

Good thing I realized Comcast was a piece of **** years ago and stayed away from it.

This really is pretty scary, though.

This exactly. I’m really hoping the Supreme Court will rule in favor of the FCC.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

That Reaction Face Guy Posted:

lol

Skyman747 Posted:

Hopefull if you have more than one ISP in your area then you just have to hope they are competitive to the point where they won’t implement this in fear of losing customers.

If you only have one ISP then your bum is more ****ed than a franch ginger in prison.

Remember AOL and Compuserve? Seems to me the best we can hope for is the kind of internet we had 15+ years ago. Except this time they can actually stop you from seeing anyone else’s content. More like on demand TV, you get to choose from what that channel offers. Not what the internet has come to be about.

Chawin Posted:

no need to worry, the reason this’ll never happen is the same reason they don’t ban smoking: too much business, too much public outroar

I hope they see it that way. I think Adapt is right, though, profit is on the side of the one’s who can make you look at whatever site pays the most.

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

oh look, the inevitable has happened.

Okay, only a fool (see: optimist) would imagine this would never come to happen. Yes the big businesses are real bumholes when they take control of the internet we know and love so much and put a price on these goods and services that we couldn’t live without unless it was over four years ago when it didnt exist. Remember that one time Murdoch and Fox bought out MySpace and the gigantic fee hike that immediately followed. Or how about when Google bought out YouTube and there was a fee added shortly after. Yeah those were real panic starters. But you are all shocked and saying OMG END OF THE INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT! yeah chalk that one up on the number of times you have said that in the past few years. And if this is, in fact, the prophecised End of the Free Internet that people have been fearing for as long as i can remember, you may as well thank your applicable deity (if any) that the corporations held out for so long when they had just as much ability to do it five years ago. And…I know what you are all thinking, maybe they just made the internet so integrated into common life that everybody is now obligated to pay the higher prices as opposed to a few years ago when you didnt HAVE to use the internet. Well in that case wouldnt we all be the cause of this problem by allowing ourselves to become dependent? Meh…me just giving food for thought. Ignore me, go back to reading your fearmongering blog. Good night everybody!

dobnits edited this message on 04/07/2010 3:38AM

Doc_Holliday

Avatar: 85846 Fri Nov 21 20:09:23 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I'm your ****leberry.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

This exactly. I’m really hoping the Supreme Court will rule in favor of the FCC.

A court that routinely rules 5-4 in favor of private enterprise? Good luck with that.

Wyrd

Avatar: 2782 2011-10-31 19:56:49 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

I tried to get over myself, but I'm just too awesome!

man-man Posted:

**** man, I’m British, I don’t know or care exactly how your government works, I’m talking in terms of principle. Because the rest of the world, all too often, ends up copying what gets done in the States.

Or beating them to the punch. Log in to see images!

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

frankly it’s optimistic to think that this can realistically stop technologically savvy infringers or global syndicates like all those russian viruses or pirated dvds out of hong kong. OMG WE CAN’T DO ANYTHING unless we set up proxies use obscure local hosting companies, encrypt our data, etc, etc, etc. and yes, technically, even good encryption can be broken eventually but with yattabytes of data being processed worldwide who’s going to go out of their way to decrypt a gig or two a day?

Drakodan

Avatar: 57623 2010-05-29 20:03:09 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Surfing the Tubes

Chawin Posted:

no need to worry, the reason this’ll never happen is the same reason they don’t ban smoking: too much business, too much public outroar

The real reason smoking remains legal is the huge amount of taxation the governments receive from it, as well as the impracticality of enforcing a ban. Which, you know, doesn’t apply to the internet.

Over in England, I’m thinking that we may as well have coin-operated, government-approved internet connections now. First, a hint towards the approval on the filesharing ban, and now this? Can we at least keep the breach of civil liberties to real life?

Admittedely, I could live without filesharing, if it ever came to pbum. Sure, it would **** me off, but a lot of what I download is music, and I own physical copies of pretty much everything I download anyway, since I like to own it.

But stripping back Net Neutrality? Hell no. I don’t want to get into an e-queue.

Wyrd Posted:

That law forces ISPs to block certain sites to curb piracy. This ruling in the US court gives an ISP (i.e. Comcast) the right to block your access to AT&T’s website, or anyone else, for whatever reason they feel justifies it. Or no reason.

In most of the US you have maybe two choices of ISPs. Not a very good situation for the consumer.

Crazy_Smurf

Avatar: 226503 2010-03-04 22:50:54 -0500

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

I shall miss thee, o’ neutrality of this internet. See you on the other side, lol.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Wyrd Posted:

****ing **** on a **** sandwich, this thing is now a law. Pushed through in the last few days of Parliament, on the back of a few hours of debate.

Labour pushed it through, Conservative party supported it (so they won’t be repealing it in the likely event that they win the election), appears our only hope is a Lib Dem majority. Or a hung parliament where the Lib Dems can act as kingmaker by their choice of who they form a coalition with.

Either of those scenarios depending also on the Lib Dems getting some votes and having some balls, which historical form doesn’t make me optimistic about.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

this is a ****ty development.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!