Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rage R.I.P. Net Neutrality

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=8714 Log in to see images!

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

Well ****.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Johnny Mac Posted:

Well ****.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

Johnny Mac Posted:

Well ****.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

I’m bumuming this is going to head on over to the Supreme Court, but with how corporations now have the rights of people, I’m not so sure that the FCC will win.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

To be honest, I’m starting to hope for some really big obvious draconian over-step by one of these big businesses.

Not big, draconian and obvious to the standard of “internet commenters go NUTS” or even “anyone of reasonable intelligence can see it’s too far”, more like “everyone with a pulse and more than a quarter of a brain stem are outraged, because Company X is interfering with their internets”.

I don’t know… say if Murdoch bought out a major ISP and blocked out competing news channels, or Facebook or Youtube. Something that even the lowest common denominator of internet user would notice and get angry about.

Why would I hope for that? Because then we might finally see something get done about it. So long as they take the quiet creeping route of slowly eroding at rights, freedoms and laws, they get away with it because it mostly gets shrugged off as “just something those net-tards are getting jumped up about”. Here’s hoping they take a step too far, anger the mbumes, and can be pushed back to where they ought to be.

Adapt

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

I feel like retracting this, or at least minimizing the damage is going to take exponentially more effort. The internet is big business. And the big players have a lot of power here unfortunately.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Hopefull if you have more than one ISP in your area then you just have to hope they are competitive to the point where they won’t implement this in fear of losing customers.

If you only have one ISP then your bum is more ****ed than a franch ginger in prison.

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

no need to worry, the reason this’ll never happen is the same reason they don’t ban smoking: too much business, too much public outroar

grinsen

Avatar: 81597 Sun Dec 14 02:08:47 -0500 2008

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

man-man Posted:

Why would I hope for that? Because then we might finally see something get done about it. So long as they take the quiet creeping route of slowly eroding at rights, freedoms and laws, they get away with it because it mostly gets shrugged off as “just something those net-tards are getting jumped up about”. Here’s hoping they take a step too far, anger the mbumes, and can be pushed back to where they ought to be.

I am confused because you sound like someone who supports net neutrality, but this hope of yours seems to completely contradict that stance. You seem to be describing a situation in which customers of a certain ISP (let’s say Comcast for argument’s sake) exercise their rights as consumers to choose a competing company for service. That’s pure capitalism, the definition of a free market economy, and the antithesis of a governmental authority determining what services a corporation can offer its customers. Log in to see images!

It’s not that I’m against net neutrality, I’m just disgusted by the idea that the FCC has the authority to regulate bandwidth of any sort. They don’t. Congress does because it is able to regulate commerce, electronic or otherwise. Congress can impose whatever regulations they see fit upon Comcast or any other ISP; the electorate put them in power to make those decisions. The FCC is just a bureaucracy, outside of the sphere of public influence, and they don’t shouldn’t have the authority to make these decisions.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

grinsen Posted:

I am confused because you sound like someone who supports net neutrality, but this hope of yours seems to completely contradict that stance. You seem to be describing a situation in which customers of a certain ISP (let’s say Comcast for argument’s sake) exercise their rights as consumers to choose a competing company for service. That’s pure capitalism, the definition of a free market economy, and the antithesis of a governmental authority determining what services a corporation can offer its customers. Log in to see images!

It’s not that I’m against net neutrality, I’m just disgusted by the idea that the FCC has the authority to regulate bandwidth of any sort. They don’t. Congress does because it is able to regulate commerce, electronic or otherwise. Congress can impose whatever regulations they see fit upon Comcast or any other ISP; the electorate put them in power to make those decisions. The FCC is just a bureaucracy, outside of the sphere of public influence, and they don’t shouldn’t have the authority to make these decisions.

Current situation: They keep doing ****, a little at a time, and get away with it because there’s no big thing to point out. They take one tentative step at a time, boil the frog one degree at a time.

What I want to see, is a situation where more people are angry with them to the point where it becomes an issue. Whether that anger manifests by their choice of another ISP, or through their representation into legislation.

Excessive government regulation isn’t a good thing, but when a lot of people are facing a monopoly situation (only having one ISP available), putting limits on how that monopoly can exploit its position of power is exactly what government regulation is designed for. Protect the people from abusive business practices by wielding a little collective power.

The FCC vs Congress… **** man, I’m British, I don’t know or care exactly how your government works, I’m talking in terms of principle. Because the rest of the world, all too often, ends up copying what gets done in the States.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

man-man Posted:

Because the rest of the world, all too often, ends up copying what gets done in the States.

Wow, the rest of the world is pretty very special.

But I agree with you (if I’m reading it right).

megazeroexe

Avatar: 96079 2010-02-05 18:20:27 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 44 Hacker

hi this is pcp saying i miss m0x

Good thing I realized Comcast was a piece of **** years ago and stayed away from it.

This really is pretty scary, though.

Adapt

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Chawin Posted:

no need to worry, the reason this’ll never happen is the same reason they don’t ban smoking: too much business, too much public outroar

except the profit is on the other side here, so its not the same. big business is not in favor of keeping net neutrality

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

I already tapped myself out raging elsewhere on this, and I don’t really want to reiterate or copy-paste, but I will say I don’t give a flying **** if this is somehow a victory for capitalism and free enterprise in anyone’s eyes (usually I’d all be for that type of thing). I mean it honestly is a victory for capitalism, it really is, but one that only benefits old men in suits who shake hands and sit around a big table jerking each other off and fingering each others bumes and face ****ing each other until they vomit great times on their penny loafers. For everyone else all this amounts to is more ads, slower internet and restricted content. I will kindly take my internet over some bull**** misapplied principles thank you very much.

g7parsh

Avatar: 119206 2010-03-02 23:21:21 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Johnny Mac Posted:

Well ****.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

RIP

Adapt

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

im not paying extra money to switch isp to play fwz either so

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

Also, I just wrote like a 10 page paper on net neutrality and this kinda drives a stake in its heart.

Best get editing.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

There’s ways around it. There always will be. They’re just painful and complicated.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!