Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Post Your Favorite Non-Trendy Book

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

xxEmoxKidxx Posted:

Dude. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books of all time. I never had to read it, maybe that’s why.

I’ve been required to read some pretty damn good books, Night by Elie Weisel, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut were all excellent and required reading for me.

Torpeo

Avatar: 181382 Sun May 17 20:59:25 -0400 2009

[Unban or Friend Th-
e nerd o powa comm-
ittee
]

Level 32 Emo Kid

“Zorba the Bleak”

Can thread get back on topic please? I want to read about books I’ve never heard of, not Catcher in the Rye again. :[

I’m kind of a fantasy nerd (boo yeah elves) so I when I was younger I used to lurk the fantasy section of the bookstore in town. Everytime I would see this book and never touch it. So one day I did and I was pleasantly surprised.

Dragons of the Cuyahoga is a ‘modern fantasy’ meaning it’s a fantasy novel that takes place in the modern world. It’s a one shot, which is a rarity in the fantasy land and one of the reason why I probably enjoyed it as much as I did.

Basicly rundown of the plot is that one day a magical portal opened up over Cleveland and magical refuges started pouring out. If they leave the ‘magic zone’ created by the portal they fizzle up and die or some **** cause they can’t really survive in our reality. So the end result is that they’ve kind of taken over the city and what not. The main charactor is a reporter and he’s bumigned to the mysterious death of a dragon. It just kinda mysteriously fell from the sky when it shouldn’t have. The charactor is all like ‘**** yeah, a mystery’ and he uncovers many exciting things.

Nothing particularly ground breaking about it but it was a pleasant light read.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Adapt Posted:

explains a lot actually

exactly what I thought.

Ummm, non-trendy books, idk. I don’t read and really haven’t read anything since middle school.

UnlimitedTyy-
ppi

Avatar: 217173 2009-11-18 08:46:15 -0500

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

I don´t know how trendy this is, but the Hyperion series is one of the best sci-fi stories around. It won a lot of the industries awards all through 1990. Anybody who hasn´t read it, should.

Isabee

Avatar: 98527 2010-01-12 23:58:45 -0500

Level 41 Troll

“Hot Sauce in the Dick Hole”

Light – M. John Harrison

I don’t know if it’s trendy or popular, I ran across it while looking for something else. It is futuristic sci-fi, modern murder and always strange. It felt like reading three books at once when I started it, but then it just clicked.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

Okay I will go with this one:

I would recommend you read it but you’re all lame and probably wont read it anyways so whatever.

It’s about a Norwegian writer wandering the streets of Oslo and the things and experiences he faces while slowly starving to the point of insanity. Deals with moral dilemmas and even though it was written in 1890 it has no faces, identity’s or dates and can easily be related to in modern times.

This is the first truly “modern” novel, mark my words.

I love you, Lee.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

This is one I have just finished reading and I have to say it is incredible in every way: a boy is stranded on a lifeboat for 233 days with nothing for company but a tiger, a zebra, a hyena and an orangutan.

­

This is also so great words can not describe it. If you have never read any Bukowski, do it.

Raikkonen

Avatar: 228500 2010-03-15 19:43:47 -0400

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Depends on how trendy this book is.

Could be, because it was written by the same guy who wrote Fight Club, which is a pretty trendy movie. Came across this book before I knew that fact, however.

Otherwise I don’t know what to put here, because the only other book I genuinely like on the same level is 1984.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

A trendy book would be one that all of a sudden a mbum amount of the populace loves the book and tells everyone how great it is and you should read it. A few months later, or after the author’s next book, no one cares anymore. A lot of the times there is a movie adaption.

The Da Vinci Code is a fairly recent example.

revrent

Level 69 Troll

**** ART LETS KILL

Hey Hey

I remember reading cruddy , a while back , was am interesting read. I liked the Hyperion Series , I enjoyed how the first book was set up , with each pilgrims story, kinda reminded me of The Canterbury Tales , and the rest of the series fulled my inner hatred for organized religion.

I guess my favorite, would be

It is kinda like Aesop’s Fables with robots, almost….But written in Poland in the mid 1960’s

Welcome Home

Rev

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

revrent Posted:

Hey Hey

I remember reading cruddy , a while back , was am interesting read. I liked the Hyperion Series , I enjoyed how the first book was set up , with each pilgrims story, kinda reminded me of The Canterbury Tales , and the rest of the series fulled my inner hatred for organized religion.

I guess my favorite, would be

It is kinda like Aesop’s Fables with robots, almost….But written in Poland in the mid 1960’s

Welcome Home

Rev

Oh, this was a great book. I loved it so hard!

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Grew up with this.

Master_Troll

Avatar: 58489 2010-05-26 01:29:58 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

Lee_Harvey_Oswald is Pinky and I'm Brain

Any book by Christopher Moore.

No really, pick any of his books and read them. They’re all pretty hilarious.

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

Avatar: 11164 2010-02-17 20:44:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

It’s incredibly trashy and not that well written. But it’s also hilarious and great fun if you like overwrought conspiracies. It’s the literary equivalent of cheap acid.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

I did not enjoy this that much but I am going to go out of my way just to be a snob.

megazeroexe

Avatar: 96079 2010-02-05 18:20:27 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 44 Hacker

hi this is pcp saying i miss m0x

Professor Commie PhD Posted:

a boy is stranded on a lifeboat for 233 days with nothing for company but a tiger, a zebra, a hyena and an orangutan.

Sounds kind of like flamebate from my perspective.

Even though it’s probably pretty trendy, if you haven’t, you should all check out a book called Sophie’s World. It’s very philosophical and was one of those books you couldn’t put down. Just a thought. Log in to see images! megazeroexe edited this message on 03/26/2010 9:32AM

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Bandaney Posted:

The one you posted is a bestseller according to its own cover Log in to see images!

You know that “bestseller” is a term that gets thrown around a lot and certainly doesn’t mean that it’s a well-known book.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the intention of this thread. Governor Was puts it best:

was Posted:

A trendy book would be one that all of a sudden a mbum amount of the populace loves the book and tells everyone how great it is and you should read it. A few months later, or after the author’s next book, no one cares anymore. A lot of the times there is a movie adaption.

The Da Vinci Code is a fairly recent example.

For the most part, any book that doesn’t have a well-known film adaptation and/or a place on a public school required reading list is okay for this thread IMO. Good recommendations so far, though.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Read this a while ago after a similar thread in a completely different forum. It’s not that mindblowing as it might have been over 100 years ago, when it was first published, but still interesting. Don’t let the educational background scae you away.

Fie

Avatar: 152207 2011-11-01 00:46:41 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 47 Camwhore

I want to see some real, live poop.

megazeroexe

Avatar: 96079 2010-02-05 18:20:27 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 44 Hacker

hi this is pcp saying i miss m0x

I’m not even going to point out how trendy the book above this is.

But still, great book. Even better that I’ve been to almost all of the places from his florida stories.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!