Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Post Your Favorite Non-Trendy Book

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

It seems like people always talk about the same few books (Harry Potter, Twilight, clbumics, etc) when there are literally millions of books out there. So: in this thread, share your more obscure book recommendations with Forumwarz.

My contribution:

Vertical Run by Joseph Garber

From Amazon.com:

It’s just another day at the office for Dave, until his boss tries to shoot him. Then his wife, coworkers, and kids turn on him, and a gang of FBI sharpshooters trap him in a New York skyscraper. What Dave can’t figure out is why it all went bad. Good thing he’s a Vietnam vet with Green Beret^-type training who handily remembers his hand-to-hand combat, kung-fu, marksmanship, and booby-trap-setting skills. He uses them all to keep his would-be killers at bay while he tries to figure out why he’s suddenly become an endangered species. Garber knows how to spin a web of steadily increasing suspense, keeping his readers on tenterhooks trying to figure out what’s going on while the action builds to a totally unpredictable ending.

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Neuromancer

Torpeo

Avatar: 181382 Sun May 17 20:59:25 -0400 2009

[Unban or Friend Th-
e nerd o powa comm-
ittee
]

Level 32 Emo Kid

“Zorba the Bleak”

I’m personally partial to Leonard Cohens works. He wrote two novels of ‘experimental fiction’ back in the 60s. The Favourite Game and Beautiful Losers. I would recommend The Favourite Game to pretty much anyone but Beautiful Losers is ****ed up ****. I mean like seriously, ****ed up ****.

Here’s what Amazon has to say about it because I suck balls at describing ****:

Leonard Cohen’s 1966 Beautiful Losers is ambitiously filthy. Few Canadian novels before or since are as sexual, but there’s more filth here than just squirming bodies. It is in fact the novel’s psychological intimacy that will make you want a long, hot shower with astringent soap. Beautiful Losers is devoted exclusively to four characters, three of them points in a love triangle—the scholarly narrator, his Aboriginal wife Edith, and his lifelong “friend” and mentor F.—and the fourth a 17th-century Iroquois saint whose life the narrator obsessively researches. The protean, mercurial, and intense F. is a kind of artist of existence, one hopefully found more often in fiction than in reality. Though capable of buying a factory or winning an election, F. is often destitute and glad to rob sustenance and sex from his friends. He has taken the narrator as a protégé (or a victim) of his increasingly dangerous tests of desire. Surviving the hedonistic, self-destructive deaths of F. and the unfaithful Edith, the unnamed scholar even seems humiliated as narrator, as if he’s cleaning up his own apartment after a party he didn’t plan.

Canada has had a bumper crop of poet-novelist switch hitters: Margaret Atwood, Robert Kroetsch, Anne Michaels, Michael Ondaatje. Their novels are sure to dazzle with their language, but some readers may lower their expectations of plot and character. Similarly, Cohen the poet will snare you with his introverted, confessional prose, so easily lent to the aphorism. “Grief makes us precise.” “What is most original in a man’s nature is often that which is most desperate.” “I am not enjoying sunsets, then for whom do they burn?” These dagger-like pensées, along with the sheer inscrutability of F., will sustain those readers who don’t like sunshine (again, it’s very claustrophobic inside this book), while plot purists may find the masturbatory plot, well, masturbatory. —Darryl Whetter

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Inconnu Posted:

Neuromancer

Good one, although I think William Gibson is fairly well-known…

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

OrsonScottCard Posted:

Good one, although I think William Gibson is fairly well-known…

The one you posted is a bestseller according to its own cover Log in to see images!

GGG_Ace

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

I can’t decide which is a better non-trendy book. Twilight or Harry Potter.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

GGG_Ace Posted:

I can’t decide which is a better non-trendy book. Twilight or Harry Potter.

Neither, pick a clbumic

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

Okay I will go with this one:

I would recommend you read it but you’re all lame and probably wont read it anyways so whatever.

It’s about a Norwegian writer wandering the streets of Oslo and the things and experiences he faces while slowly starving to the point of insanity. Deals with moral dilemmas and even though it was written in 1890 it has no faces, identity’s or dates and can easily be related to in modern times.

This is the first truly “modern” novel, mark my words.

Melanin-Enhanced Individual edited this message on 03/26/2010 12:49AM

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

it won a nobel prize in literature. also semi-autobiographical as its loosely based upon Hamsun’s own poverty and experiences.

xxEmoxKidxx

Avatar: 102681 2011-08-02 00:21:53 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Clockwork Orange

Great piece which will really make you question certain aspects of the government

Catcher in the Rye

An angst ridden persons wet dream. But a good read even if you don’t fit into this catagory.

Pride and Prejudice

Nothing to really say. Log in to see images!

megazeroexe

Avatar: 96079 2010-02-05 18:20:27 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 44 Hacker

hi this is pcp saying i miss m0x

xxEmoxKidxx Posted:

Clockwork Orange

Great piece which will really make you question certain aspects of the government

Catcher in the Rye

An angst ridden persons wet dream. But a good read even if you don’t fit into this catagory.

Pride and Prejudice

Nothing to really say. Log in to see images!

All three of those books you mentioned were and are mbumively popular books that high schools use for English and History clbumes and have been around for a very long time/have always had a cult following. Seriously?

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

megazeroexe Posted:

All three of those books you mentioned were and are mbumively popular books that high schools use for English and History clbumes and have been around for a very long time/have always had a cult following. Seriously?

this, sorry bro.

xxEmoxKidxx

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

megazeroexe Posted:

When was the last time you heard anyone mention these?

Trendy =/= Timeless.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

xxEmoxKidxx Posted:

When was the last time you heard anyone mention these?

Trendy =/= Timeless.

well lets see in my english course this semester, uhh… the first two, and jane austens name was brought up.

you missed the point of this thread.

also out of those 3 only one is really worth reading

hint: anthony burgess wrote it

O_HAI

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Cruddy by Lynda Barry is a favorite of mine. It’s a really great book that has its angst and teen romance cut with copious amounts of drugs, profanity, child abuse, stabbings, racism, murder, incest, vomit, arson, and clbumic rock.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

When I was little I read this book about trucks. They were talking trucks I think and it was snowy so one of their truck friends got stuck and they had to go rescue him. I’m trying to remember the name.

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

well lets see in my english course this semester, uhh… the first two, and jane austens name was brought up.

you missed the point of this thread.

also out of those 3 only one is really worth reading

hint: anthony burgess wrote it

Not to mention Catcher in the Rye is every angsty teenager’s faprag. Had to read it in 10th grade English, thought it was really stupid. One of the best/worst moments is when he orders a hooker and just wants to talk about life with her. fabulous person.

Does Don Quixote count as trendy?

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

It isn’t a novel, but I enjoyed this not too long ago.

————————————————————————————————————-

WIFE IN REVERSE

His wife dies, mouth slightly parted and one eye open. He knocks on his younger daughter’s bedroom door and says “You better come. Mom seems to be expiring.” His wife slips into a coma three days after she comes home and stays in it for eleven days. They have a little party second day she’s home: Nova Scotia salmon, chocolates, a risotto he made, brie cheese, champagne. An ambulette brings his wife home. She says to him “Wheel me around the garden before I go to bed for the last time.” His wife refuses the feeding tube the doctors want to put in her and insists she wants to die at home. She says “I don’t want any more life support, fluid or food.” He calls 911 for the fourth time in two years and tells the dispatcher “My wife; I’m sure she has pneumonia again.” His wife has a trach put in. “When will it come out?” she says, and the doctor says “To be honest? Never.” “Your wife has a very bad case of pneumonia,” the doctor tells him and his daughters the first time, “and has a one to two percent chance of surviving.” His wife now uses a wheelchair. His wife now uses a motor cart. His wife now uses a walker with wheels. His wife now uses a walker. His wife has to use a cane. His wife’s diagnosed with MS. His wife has trouble walking. His wife gives birth to their second daughter. “This time you didn’t cry,” she says, and he says “I’m just as happy, though.” His wife says to him “Something’s wrong with my eyes.” His wife gives birth to their daughter. The obstetrician says “I’ve never seen a father cry in the birthing room.” The rabbi pronounces them man and wife and he bursts out crying. “Let’s get married,” he says to her, and she says “It’s all right with me,” and he starts crying. “What a reaction,” she says, and he says “I’m so happy, so happy,” and she hugs him and says “So am I.” She calls and says “How are you? Do you want to meet and talk?” She drops him off in front of his building and says “It’s just not working.” He meets a woman at a party. They talk for a long time. She has to leave the party to go to a concert. He gets her phone number and says “I’ll call you tomorrow,” and she says “I’d like that.” He says goodbye to her at the door and shakes her hand. After she leaves he thinks “That woman’s going to be my wife.”

by Stephen Dixon

xxEmoxKidxx

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

Not to mention Catcher in the Rye is every angsty teenager’s faprag. Had to read it in 10th grade English, thought it was really stupid. One of the best/worst moments is when he orders a hooker and just wants to talk about life with her. fabulous person.

Does Don Quixote count as trendy?

Dude. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books of all time. I never had to read it, maybe that’s why.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

xxEmoxKidxx Posted:

Dude. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books of all time. I never had to read it, maybe that’s why.

explains a lot actually

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!