Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games The Abusively Hard Games thread

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Here’s a thread for posting really hard games/mods/hacks you’ve come across. I’ll do my best to keep a list of the games posted in this post. I’m largely thinking of indie stuff, so don’t be surprised if I ignore your Touhou/NINJA GAIDEN IS SOOO HARRRD rants. Ninja Gaiden is for pussies who don’t remember the original game, and Team Shanghai Alice totally sold out when they made the third game have good graphics, maaaaannn.

When posting a game, please give its name, a brief description that includes whether it’s a standalone game, a mod or a hack, what system it’s for, its price or lack thereof, and a website where you can get it or get more information about it.

LIST OF GAMES:

I Wanna Be The Guy(IWBTG)

-freeware, PC- platformer

– http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

A mbumive, well made and thoroughly punishing platformer that includes twisted elements from all sorts of old nintendo games, all rewired to kill you harder. I’m still waiting for someone to post an Impossible mode run online. Made by the legendary Kayin, who is totally into guro.

Bunny Must Die(BMD)

-freeware(I think), PC- SotN type

-http://www20.cds.ne.jp/~murasame/games/bmd.htm

A large, quality Sotn style game theat doesn’t take itself too seriously. The new dynamic is being able to slow down, stop or reverse time to deal with a couple abusively hard timed gate puzzles. Just to make it even more fun, there are apparently bonus areas accessible by getting to the end of the game fast enough, with no deaths. I think. Did I mention it’s in Japanese?

Chrono Coliseum

-ROM hack(Chrono Trigger, SNES you philistine), RPG

-http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger_Coliseum.html

Chrono Trigger was a great game, but the difficulty level was a joke. This hack adds an arena area with solo and team modes, special battle conditions, and the most blatantly unfair enemy combinations the game engine permits. You have to find keys added to the main game to unlock the three challenges, so it may take you a while to get to the new stuff, but hey- it’s Chrono Trigger, it’ll still be fun!

(Note: I’d appreciate some confirmation that this site is the latest or last version of this hack).

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

http://armorgames.com/play/1043/the-worlds-hardest-game

Bigguyinblack edited this message on 03/27/2008 12:42PM

Starfang_42

[Random Insanity]

Level 30 Troll

The **** of the Trollhole

f-zero gx (probably about $30 for the gamecube)

futuristic racer

This game has a messed up learning curve. grand prix mode is easily doable on easy and standard, becomes an absolute **** on expert, and don’t even get me started on master difficulty. Of course, even on easy some of the tracks are just evil.

But where the abusive difficulty really shines through is story mode. Even on the easiest difficulty, anything above chapter 4 is going to be hard, and chapter 7 in particular will enjoy you repeatedly. Then, you move up to the next hardest level because you want to unlock some decent parts for your custom racers…Absolute hell. And there’s still very hard for the nuts with perfect reflexes who have every track memorized.

demyztikx

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Nightmare of Druaga for the PS2 is a pain. When you die in the game it autosaves and you lose all your items (at least almost all of them). Your only saving grace might be leveling up before the monsters kill you and you lose everything.

It was based off an arcade game that was known for being hard- it was a 100 level dungeon.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Druaga

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

The Druaga stuff is actually very easy, when compared with their originators, the Rougelike genre of games. I would’ve posted one of them in the first post, but I’m trying to decide which one is the most unfair/hardest. I’ll probably go with Ragnarok(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok_%28video_game%29) but I need to find someone with more experience in the oldschool.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Oh god… Lagoon for SNES.

Just… just bad memories. Ok, props for depressing me, awesome score, and some decent graphics. But this was next to impossible to beat. It;s one of those things were you get hurt if any enemy touches you. You know how you have a short window of invincibility? Not here. A low level enemy running into will continue to attack you, and you as good as dead in a matter of few seconds. Then there are the bosses. First, you’re not allowed to use any magic against them. Most of them moves faster the more they are damaged. The problem is you can’t just keep hurting them a little at a time. At one point, they move/teleport too fast for you to actually hit them- you were supposed to take out all their health in one go.

Then there’s the last battle. But it’s not one enemy it’s 5! A dome covered thing, a gargoyle with a whip tail, a 7 foot human gorilla hybrid and then an eagle with 4 wings that takes up 2/3 of the screen. After that you have to fight the whip tail guy again. Except now he has more energy and teleports. Yeah I never beat it.

Mario Superstar Baseball- GC.

Comeback AI in spades. ‘Nuff said.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

The Unfair Platformer. A flash-based platformer involving appearing-disappearing blocks without notice, hidden spikes, and various other truly unfair items along the way. Simple run-and-jump gameplay, too.

le_cygne

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Barring games that go out of their way to be intentionally unfair (anyone can code a game where rocks randomly crush you without warning 99% of the time), my money is on Silver Surfer for the NES.

I’m not as broadly familiar with the indie game scene as I used to be, but Silver Surfer crushes anything mentioned so far in this thread that’s actually been made by a major producer, and most of the indie ones, too.

(ooc, natch)

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Amp Zaphrix Posted:

The Unfair Platformer. A flash-based platformer involving appearing-disappearing blocks without notice, hidden spikes, and various other truly unfair items along the way. Simple run-and-jump gameplay, too.

THis thing is actually like a super-easy version of IWBTG.

Starfang_42

[Random Insanity]

Level 30 Troll

The **** of the Trollhole

That reminds me. Not so much an impressively annoying game so much as a level, but animal antics from donkey kong country 2. For those not familiar with the level, you spend the entire time morphed into one of the several helper animals. The first four, in order, are rhino, swordfish, weird spider thingy, parrot. Everything up to the parrot is easy. But the parrot’s area is just plain evil. Here’s why:

1: you can take two hits before you’re dead

2: the parrot’s method of control. You are always falling. up and down change how fast you fall, left and right move you side to side. You press jump repeatedly to rise.

3: the level capitalizes on making it obvious that the parrot does not handle well. First the entire area is a maze of bramble that if you touch you get hurt. Narrow pbumages, sharp turns, the occasional wrong path, giant killer bees blocking you, and through all that there’s a wind that will push you left or right, and it will switch RANDOMLY.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!