Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Ugly Sick voting system

d35tiny

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’m relatively new to forumbuildr but i can’t help noticing that the voting system sucks.

A lot of people vote randomly or give negative votes simply because they’re angry their idea is on a negative score.

I think the negative vote option should be removed, leaving only the 2 other options:

– vote (positive)

– pbum

What u think?

Legolas

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

This has been proposed earlier; that being said, I’d be totally in favor of it.

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

I don’t think there’s a problem with the up and down voting, it’s the systematic removal at -5. Removing the downvote option would also disable the systematic removal, so why not just disable the removal instead of both downvoting and removal?

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

or maybe delay removal till Friday or something, so that the voting populace can have a thorough say in how they feel.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Actually that’s a good idea. I was thinking that the limit of downvote’s remain at -5, but it is still retained. Possibly sent to separate area like “reject bin” but you are still allowed to vote on it. Only up and pbum at this stage. If it is voted up if can be thrown back in with the rest of the submissions again (or, maybe it needs a certain amount of votes to be put back in). Complex? Yes. Helpful? I dunno.

demyztikx

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

If it gets to -5 there is no saving it from losing to those +180 choices (unless it got -5 right away). So the best I’d think would be to not kick it off at -5 until after a certain period, or if it’s -5 but still got a number of ups.

The Serised

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Maybe you should do the Vote Up or Pbum and if something remains at 0 lets say, 2 days after submition, it gets removed.

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Balloon Posted:

Actually that’s a good idea. I was thinking that the limit of downvote’s remain at -5, but it is still retained. Possibly sent to separate area like “reject bin” but you are still allowed to vote on it. Only up and pbum at this stage. If it is voted up if can be thrown back in with the rest of the submissions again (or, maybe it needs a certain amount of votes to be put back in). Complex? Yes. Helpful? I dunno.

I’ve suggested that exact idea before, and had a couple of people who posted that they liked it, but so far no word from the devs on their opinion on it.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I have problems with the automatic kick at -5, too. I had a bunch of items that got +5 votes (yay chocolates), but then suddenly everything got downvoted to -5 in the space of a day. I know lots of people vote down for the lulz, but this is ridiculous.

Nicole Richi-
e Vicodin Ra-
ve

Level 6 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

The system is ****ed. Man.

Nicole Richie Vicodin Rave edited this message on 03/28/2008 12:34AM

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

what i dislike about the voting system is that the ones that are already popular seem to appear more than the rest when looking through categories that have a lot of entries. i’d prefer something where the ones that appeared for me were actually completely random so that every idea has an equal chance.

Everybodyknows edited this message on 03/28/2008 12:38AM

Kerridwen_Ka-
li

Level 29 Emo Kid

I HEART CANADIANS!

Everybodyknows Posted:

what i dislike about the voting system is that the ones that are already popular seem to appear more than the rest when looking through categories that have a lot of entries. i’d prefer something where the ones that appeared for me were actually completely random so that every idea has an equal chance.

I second this. I’ve had one submission up there for days that’s received absolutely no down votes, but it hasn’t received many up votes either. If it’s good enough that not one person has downvoted it yet, it seems like it might be a good submission, but it’s so far down the list that I think voters are pooping out before they get to it.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

demyztikx Posted:

If it gets to -5 there is no saving it from losing to those +180 choices (unless it got -5 right away). So the best I’d think would be to not kick it off at -5 until after a certain period, or if it’s -5 but still got a number of ups.

thats actually a really good suggestion. each submission gets two days to live, and after that it goes away if its -5 or less.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Well, even then, all the trashy submissions just sit there around and deter people from voting at all…so there’s flaws in a vote/pbum system.

The average number of votes on submissions went from about -3 to 6 since last week, so it looks like the situation is getting better. I guess we just need to give the system some time before making more changes.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

PIMPTASTIC-FROTH Posted:

Well, even then, all the trashy submissions just sit there around and deter people from voting at all…so there’s flaws in a vote/pbum system.

The average number of votes on submissions went from about -3 to 6 since last week, so it looks like the situation is getting better. I guess we just need to give the system some time before making more changes.

Maybe have a limit on the amount of downvotes you’re allowed a week. Let’s say 20. A little more thought will be put into downvoting, and the outright trash will be thrown out still.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

That’s a pretty good idea. It might be reasonable to limit UPVOTES as well – in order to encourage users to upvote what they truly see to be good ideas.

ravenblooDDa-
rkdreams

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’m very much against limiting votes. For one thing, the scale of things is probably only going to get larger, and even now- only having 20 up and 20 down votes for 260 submissions is a little ridiculous. Then people would -really- get screwed by what people see first, because nobody’s going to read all 260 and then go back to vote on the top/bottom.

The system really isn’t that bad, it’s just some of the people using it. I do think having some kind of ‘grace period’ before a submission can be deleted is a good idea, so that more people can weigh in on something. Sometimes you’re at the mercy of the 5 people that happen to be online, who are all downvoting the entire list.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!