Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing N****r of the Narcissus becomes N-word of the Narcissus

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

By Joshua Rhett Miller

Mod Edit: Yes, I edited the thread title. Racism in CD is still trolling. Yes, I know it’s the title of a novel, but it’s still trollbait.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

A CLbumIC turn-of-the-century English novelist whose works have been read by countless millions of people is having his work sanitised for a new generation of readers.

Joseph Conrad, whose Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim have been scrutinised by English students on multiple continents for decades, wrote a lesser known novel in 1897 called The fine upstanding member of society of the Narcissus.

Now, in what critics are calling a blatant act of politically correct censorship, a Netherlands-based publisher has reprinted the novel under a new name: The N-word of the Narcissus.

The new version is the first instalment of WordBridge Publishing’s clbumic texts series, featuring “texts with a message for moderns, made accessible to moderns”.

But some critics say updating a Conrad novel by replacing all mentions of the offensive term “fine upstanding member of society” with “n-word” is just as offensive as the word itself.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

“It’s outrageous,” Niger Innis, spokesman for the Congress of Racial Equality, a New York-based civil rights organisation, said.

“Are they going to go to Mark Twain as well and take out all of those references?

“It’s censorship and to blacken over a word does not mean that you can blacken over the history.”

Mr Innis said it would be equally inappropriate for Alex Haley’s Roots to be re-released with instances of the racial slur replaced with a more innocuous term.

“It’s one thing if you were writing that book today, but it is quite something different to rewind history,” Mr Innis said.

“It undermines the real history.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

Mr Innis said while he wouldn’t go so far as to call the censors racist, he claimed whites “have to be very careful” to not be guilty of paternalism and treat others like children.

But Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP’s Washington bureau and senior vice president for advocacy and policy, said he found the new version of Conrad’s novel appropriate for readers.

“It offers an option,” Ms Shelton told FoxNews.com.

“Keep in mind you can still buy the original.”

He said the latest version of Conrad’s clbumic was not an example of censorship because its original intent remains intact.

Master_Troll

Avatar: 58489 2010-05-26 01:29:58 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

Lee_Harvey_Oswald is Pinky and I'm Brain

lol at fine upstanding member of societys getting bumhurt when they get what they want

They don’t even know what they want most of the time, I’ve found

Mod Edit: This one is definitely trolling.

Master_Troll was banned for this post by spacekadt

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

oh now dont you get all cute on me here

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

you need to behave

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

A dangerous precedent.

Anansi

[Arsenal of Ninjacr-
acy
]

Level 69 Troll

Resident Psychoanalyst

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

”It’s one thing if you were writing that book today, but it is quite something different to rewind history,” Mr Innis said.

And even if someone were writing the book today, suppose it were historical fiction. Should that be censored? I say no.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!