Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art Avatar

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

Wow, you guys are a bunch of independent thinking cynics! Well good for you, no one is gonna force you to see this movie.

:applause:

/sarcasm

On the serious side, I saw this movie yesterday, and it is probably the most beautiful film I’ve ever seen. The cinematography and special effects are simply stunning. The digital effects are worthy of all the praise and awards they will receive in the months to come.

Granted, the story is basically Pocahontas, but it was not like the story was told poorly. The acting is good, and there’s even a semi nude seen with Sigourney Weaver (who is still attractive to me, despite her age). Fortunately, what the story lacks in originality the film more than makes up for in everything else. I would advise anyone interested, to see this movie in theaters, on an Imax screen. There is no draw for this film on DVD, it is the theatrical experience that makes this worth the price of admission.

...but most of you are just too “cool” to take what I’ve said seriously. You’re like those extra-hip kids in high school who were popular because they’re dark and hate on everything else that’s popular. Well congratulations on mastering that fbumet of being cool, I hope it works out for you.

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

i think the problem here is that people have different ideas of entertainment

anyway it was a freakin awesome film and anyone near an imax should definitely see it

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

woah corey you just totally ninjad me by 6 minutes

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

you can make a great movie with great effects. see every pixar movie.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’ve found that I can enjoy a movie in a different ways.

For example, if the acting is amazing, I can appreciate it on that level (Doubt, There Will Be Blood). Or if the plot is great (Vertigo, Match Point). I can even like otherwise bad movies for their special effects or action sequences (2015).

In the rare occasion that one movie is all of those things (LOTR?) of course that’s better, but I know it’s really hard to make a movie where everything works out that well. I’ve heard the plot of Avatar is pbumable, and that it’s visually spectacular. That’s enough to make me want to see it, and hopefully like it too.

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

Fortunato Posted:

you can make a great movie with great effects. see every pixar movie.

I wouldn’t say every Pixar film, but they def seem to be the big dog of quality films lately. I think it has more to do with their ability to attract quality storytellers like Brad Bird, Pete Docter, and John Lbumeter, than it has to do with the animation. Granted, the animation is still wonderful.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

they love to show off their technical chops. Fully rendered hair and stuff, like in the Incredibles when the family falls into the ocean.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Bill_Murray_Fan_7383 Posted:

Well, first of all, I refuse to jump on the “LOL STORYTELLING” bandwagon.

Yeah, there’s no twists or turns; nothing shockingly new. But a story doesn’t have to be innovative to be good – Avatar has a solid love story and a good resistance story.

Second of all, **** you, and **** anyone who writes off special effects as “pretty pictures”. The crew of Avatar went to painstaking lengths to make the film’s world as beautiful and believable as it could possibly be, and the result is one of the most stunning film universes ever made. The use of color in Avatar rivals masters like Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and the cinematography is brilliant.

In short, the “pretty pictures” of Avatar were worth well beyond $10 for me, and I’ll probably put out another $10-$20 before it cycles out.

Where did I say that Avatar didn’t have a good story? I was replying specifically to the idea of going to see a movie simply for the special effects. Special effects should compliment the story, not overshadow it or be a substitution. Does Avatar have more to offer than just special effects? I’m not sure, since every trailer I’ve seen so far seems to focus solely on the effects, not the story. That’s been what they’ve been pushing. If it gets a decent review for having a good story, I’ll probably see it. Even if it’s not ‘new & innovative’, that’s fine. The point is that special effects alone do not make a good movie. You still need a good story to go along with it, even if it is ‘tried and true’.

As far as actually seeing the movie in the theaters, I still probably won’t, but that’s a separate issue. I simply prefer to rent a movie to watch in the comfort of my own home theater. If I like it enough, I’ll end up buying a copy for my collection.

Regarding Pixar, they are an excellent example of quality work on both sides of the issue. And their stories are definitely ‘tried & true’.

Acid Flux edited this message on 12/20/2009 12:49PM

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

I’m going to ignore both sides of the argument going on here and just say I thought it was fantastic, if a bit preachy.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Fortunato Posted:

they love to show off their technical chops. Fully rendered hair and stuff, like in the Incredibles when the family falls into the ocean.

the incredibles is one of hte best movies ever made

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

I just had an epiphany. James Cameron is a rip-off artist. Blue Humanoids protecting their planet?

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

the incredibles is one of hte best movies ever made

Pretty much all of pixars movies are the best movies ever made, even though I still haven’t seen Up Log in to see images!

Toko

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Skyman747 Posted:

Pretty much all of pixars movies are the best movies ever made, even though I still haven’t seen Up Log in to see images!

Go see it. Now.

Bring the tissues though, because you’re going to need them for the first part of the movie.

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Chawin Posted:

i think the problem here is that people have different ideas of entertainment

the problem is people are untolerable to different ideas of entertainment

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

While I’m sure that the cinematography and effects are beautiful, it’s such a painfully cliched and obvious political movie that I can’t bring myself to watch it.

Even the preview looked like the most biased re-used anti-war liberal rhetoric I’ve ever seen.

Gosh, the US Marines just happen to invade an innocent people’s country to exploit their needed, valuable resources for our own gain with no thought of their wellbeing?

That doesn’t sound familiar, or politically relevant.

While we’re at it, why don’t we re-use the same tired “invader joins the opposing side for some reason and then sees the error of his ways, fights for the oppressed, and falls in love in the process” storyline too.

It’ll be a smash hit.

And this is coming from someone who likes furry things.

UnlimitedTyy-
ppi

Avatar: 217173 2009-11-18 08:46:15 -0500

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

I donĀ“t understand this whine about the plot. Different movies are good for different reasons, and CGI and the technology is one these reasons. Sure exeptional story is the most prestigious way of making a good movie, but still. One just has to know what is coming, and in a movie like Avatar, at least for me, a cliche plot is almost a good thing, since cliches are such for a good reason, because they work. Thus the plot gives a solid, not groundbraking but solid level for the actual point, the 3D. Going too artsy with the plot might have ruined it otherwise(And at least there is a plot, if you compare it to, say, Transformers 2).

And even this said, Camerons prior movies are most great, but not because of excellent story, but the quality of the storyTELLING, and the action/suspense. They are entartaining because they are so damn well made. So I think that Avatar only follows the line Cameron has taken before. Just know what your in for.

And yes, Pixar movies are all pretty much brilliant.

when will man kind stop raping every other race on this galaxy?

Malaise Posted:

**** you and anyone else who puts their money down to support idiotic special effects movies thereby encouraging the movie industry to consider the story and acting to be essentially trivial to movie making. You are the reason we will have Transformers 8.

Afterthotz

Avatar: 187543 2010-01-24 16:13:10 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I lurk much better than I post - and my lurking skills really suck.

I’ll phone in a review…

Saw it in the theater, enjoyed it.

Keeping in mind that ZOMG different people like different things – yes, the visual effects were stunning. The story was obviously a rehash, slightly tired and obviously done before. Think ‘Fern Gully’ meets ‘Dances with Wolves’.

Still, I personally clbumified Avatar as a ‘fun’ movie. Don’t go in expecting ‘epic’ and you should find it entertaining.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

You could of course see great movies with great effects. Note that the whole movie above was made for about $5million. Duncan jones calls that scene the “drum solo”.

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

Fortunato Posted:

moon

amazing film, bought it on dvd last week

ahhh its just so woah

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!