Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Request D&D Adventure Ideas

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

I’m currently bumembling a D&D game with some mates, and thought I’d see what sort of stuff people are into. I’d really like to be able to create a game that my players can really get into, instead of just a one or two-session game that then ends due to time constraints or sheer boredom. So far, the only kind of thing I can think of is the stereotypical ‘kill some rats and find the town in flames’ thing, or the ‘trek into the woods and rescue the missing lord’ type scenarios. I’d like to be able to start off in a smaller town rather than a larger one, though, because making all those NPCs and creating the city’s infrastructure can take quite some time. I’m new to it and am developing my skills as well, so if you have any tips or suggestions for quickly making NPCs, that’d be appreciated as well. Thanx!

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Don’t ask US for suggestions on what people are into. Ask your players. What do THEY want most: Hack-and-slash? Puzzle solving? Role-playing?

Start with that, then build your world to take advantage of it. If they prefer RP, they may prefer a more political game where their town needs to negotiate with surrounding town, so concentrate on the key players and buildings for that environment. If they want hack-and-slash, build a town with an inn, have them gather in it to get a mission, then send them out into the woods — the town infrastructure and populace isn’t as important at this point. And so on.

Zagreus

Avatar: 113654 2010-01-13 11:46:06 -0500

[BBQF0 Judgement an-
d Rules Committee
]

Level 29 Hacker

Government stooge

The MC is right, and if you don’t study your players, **** goes downhill like greased lightning. Make it about you, too. If it becomes a chore then you’re ****ed. Feel free to TM me or whatever and ask any tabletop RP question that comes to your Cheeto and Mountain Dew soaked head. I’ve been in my fair share of basements, and I’ve seen the worst. Quite preventable imo.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Lul, thanks for the advice, guys. I’m trying to think of a custom thing, but I guess it really just takes more planning than I thought. All I gotta do is sit down, and DO it. Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Styzzyx Posted:

Lul, thanks for the advice, guys. I’m trying to think of a custom thing, but I guess it really just takes more planning than I thought. All I gotta do is sit down, and DO it. Log in to see images!

Or buy a pre-fab campaign, read through it, highlight the areas your players would enjoy and figure how to enhance those, and go go go!

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

MC Banhammer Posted:

Or buy a pre-fab campaign, read through it, highlight the areas your players would enjoy and figure how to enhance those, and go go go!

I’m really thinking about finding a published adventure to run, just because it would help me get on my feet, and I could work from there. In addition, I could take note of hooks the setting uses, locations, how they set up encounters, etc.

I just finished reading through the sections in the DMG on determining Encounter Levels and whatnot, but I’m still sorta foggy on how to adjust a given encounter to a different number of players.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Styzzyx Posted:

I’m really thinking about finding a published adventure to run, just because it would help me get on my feet, and I could work from there. In addition, I could take note of hooks the setting uses, locations, how they set up encounters, etc.

This is a good idea. I’d do this a few times, possibly including a short campaign, before you do anything original.

Also, just try to tap into your natural style as a writer. For example, I tend to go pretty off-the-wall…like having a party walk into a vampiric cult, beating children into a bloody pulp.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Bill_Murray_Fan_7383 Posted:

For example, I tend to go pretty off-the-wall…like having a party walk into a vampiric cult, beating children into a bloody pulp.

LMAO Sounds awesome. I really wish I could run an evil-themed game with the people I play with, but they’re the ‘power-gamer’ types that would try to ransack the whole town. Frankly, I don’t want to generate a few hundred copies of the town guard to have them slaughtered, and my characters more powerful in the beginning of the game than they should be. Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Styzzyx Posted:

the people I play with, but they’re the ‘power-gamer’ types that would try to ransack the whole town

Switch from D&D to Hackmaster then imo

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

XD From what I’ve seen in Knights of the Dinner Table, it sounds pretty friggin’ awesome, but I don’t think my FNGS carries them… D: I should ask. All I know is that Bagworld totally rocked, and so did everything else. Log in to see images!

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

i’ll quickly paraphrase one i used to go through with my group:

small group of adventurers are travelling through a small village. town is half destroyed, lots of sick people etc. basically the village has gone to ****.

bla bla bla after rp stuff your group find out there’s a wizard over yonder in his tower ransacking the town and the general country side.

your group decides to go vanquish said dude, be it to help the villagers, take the wizards plunder, both, or then kill villagers as well.

go up to tower, have some nice random encounters with some of the wizards goons.

get to the tower, as you see the wizard on top blasting spells, huge dragon appears from behind the hill. (ideally you want the tower on a hill, few forests around) nice surprise for you adventurers and a dragon fight is always fun.

before the dragon dies the wizard jumps down from his tower bringing said adventurers into another dimensional plane. bla bla bla epic fight do what you want here, i have dimensional rifts exploding and stuff but it’s your choice.

they defeat the wizard, escape the imploding dimensional plane and then do what they want with the wizards stuff and the village.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Chawin Posted:

a dragon fight is always fun

If first-level characters are going to beat a dragon then you have serious game balance issues in your game.

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

MC Banhammer Posted:

If first-level characters are going to beat a dragon then you have serious game balance issues in your game.

ahaha oh gawd sorry about that

yeah i forgot to mention that this is just a once off scenario thing (though could be added to other long campaigns, or continued etc)

your adventurers are already experienced and well travelled as a group

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

and if being high level gets a bit confusing for new players, then just nerf the dragon a bit

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

MC Banhammer Posted:

I must agree here. It’s not a problem coming up with the epic adventure ideas, but making a rad adventure for just 1st-level characters is more difficult. At least for me, I know that throwing skeletons and orcs at the characters for first level isn’t anything they haven’t seen before. *shrug*

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

im confused. you can think of epic adventure ideas but not for first level characters? you can use loaaaads of epic adventures for lower levels, you just need to nerf some of the big stuff.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Ideally in a campaign your rad ideas for the low levels should be encountering really really low-level minions of your main villain. Take your super epic high-level main baddie, and figure out what his little side projects are. Work the layers down and down until you get to the street-level grunts doing the really minor dirty work which SOMEone needs to do, but the higher-ups don’t want to bother with — like, I dunno, laundering their secret society robes. Have your players fight those guys and tailor the results of the encounter to grip them with whatever hook’s going to work to make them want to get deeper into the story.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

MC Banhammer Posted:

Ideally in a campaign your rad ideas for the low levels should be encountering really really low-level minions of your main villain. Take your super epic high-level main baddie, and figure out what his little side projects are. Work the layers down and down until you get to the street-level grunts doing the really minor dirty work which SOMEone needs to do, but the higher-ups don’t want to bother with — like, I dunno, laundering their secret society robes. Have your players fight those guys and tailor the results of the encounter to grip them with whatever hook’s going to work to make them want to get deeper into the story.

That sounds really good, too. Seeing as this is my first time DMing, but that seems just a tad daunting to me. If I did manage to get all the main baddies and scenarios created, how could I guide my players along the storyline, though? If they throw me a curveball and manage to ransack the barracks that the evil wizard’s troops use to arm themselves for the final battle, what would I do? It’s that element of surprise that always throws me off; I’m not good at dealing with the unexpected, yet.

cya

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

your the dm, just make the equipment cursed.

the role of the dm is to control your pathetic friends to their demise. just make sure you give them a sense of false hope as they die.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Chawin Posted:

your the dm, just make the equipment cursed.

the role of the dm is to control your pathetic friends to their demise. just make sure you give them a sense of false hope as they die.

Maybe if we were doing an evil game XD. How would that guide them along the adventure path, though? I don’t see how getting minuses to attacks or growing enormous breasts with the Breastplate of Breasts would keep them on track. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!