Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Srs Bsns Please explain this INCIT rule to me

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

Do not plagiarize or copy previously submitted entries, including your own. This can mean copying well-known entries that have won before; copying other people’s submissions from previous rounds; or simply resubmitting the same entry (or variations of the same entry) regardless of relevance.

I don’t understand why this is a rule. And I’m not just whining because I was banned for it, I want to understand why it’s okay for me to submit the same non-winning forumbuildr and itembuildr entries until they win, or even after they win, as long as they’re relevant, but it’s not okay for me to submit the same non-winning INCIT entry until it wins. The chocolate scoop argument doesn’t cut it for me because you get chocolate for forumbuildr and itembuildr as well.

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

one of us….one of us….one of us…

To contribute (lol) I never got why you can’t repeat entries as long as they don’t win/earn you dom things (lol) I get why you can’t repeat wins, but non-wins shouldn’t count for nothin.

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

MC Banhammer Posted:

I don’t understand why this is a rule. And I’m not just whining because I was banned for it, I want to understand why it’s okay for me to submit the same non-winning forumbuildr and itembuildr entries until they win, or even after they win, as long as they’re relevant, but it’s not okay for me to submit the same non-winning INCIT entry until it wins. The chocolate scoop argument doesn’t cut it for me because you get chocolate for forumbuildr and itembuildr as well.

I don’t interpret the phrase “previously submitted entry” to mean “an entry that hasn’t won.” Though, looking at it I can see how that can be taken that way.

In my eyes, you can submit a submission that you’ve tried before, but hasn’t won for three main reasons. One, it hasn’t won, so it exists solely in your mind. Two, I cannot read your mind, so there is no way to way to police that kind of thing. Finally, it obviously can’t be plagiarism (self or otherwise) if the thing you’re plagiarizing doesn’t exist.

You were banned for directly plagiarizing the person who won the round before. There’s a difference.

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

PhineasPoe Posted:

I don’t interpret the phrase “previously submitted entry” to mean “an entry that hasn’t won.” Though, looking at it I can see how that can be taken that way.

In my eyes, you can submit a submission that you’ve tried before, but hasn’t won for three main reasons. One, it hasn’t won, so it exists solely in your mind. Two, I cannot read your mind, so there is no way to way to police that kind of thing. Finally, it obviously can’t be plagiarism (self or otherwise) if the thing you’re plagiarizing doesn’t exist.

You were banned for directly plagiarizing the person who won the round before. There’s a difference.

Whoa you mean MC Banhammer, a well respected player, poster, and former mod, did something ON PURPOSE to get banned so he could bring it up in a CD thread and call the site rules into question?? I do declare!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Again, I’m not questioning my ban, for plagiarizing someone else — I understand that new rule.

I’m questioning why if I have an entry which wins, I can’t submit it again. I can submit winning, say, avatars in forumbuildr if the forum supports the duplicated one. I can submit winning itembuildr ideas and submissions again, which could theoretically win again if people aren’t following itembuildr religiously. So why can’t I do the same in INCIT?

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

Whoa you mean MC Banhammer, a well respected player, poster, and former mod, did something ON PURPOSE to get banned so he could bring it up in a CD thread and call the site rules into question?? I do declare!

I didn’t do it on purpose Log in to see images!

Well, not on purpose to be banned. I didn’t realize it was a rule and I thought it was funny in context. But that’s not what this thread is about.

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

You make a good point. Really, they’re pretty similar. Both are tied to peens and scoops, both have wins that generally aren’t seen/paid attention to again, and both are usually compared with ****.

Maybe forumbuildr should have the same restrictions. It’s been awhile since I really looked at buildr, but most repeated submissions that win are usually generic things. They don’t really add anything, though it could argued that real forums have people who just post “lol” or “**** you, fabulous person.” Though, that little bit of realism doesn’t do much when the thread are made up of random, unrelated posts.

It’s the same kind of laziness. Hm.

BobTheSqueak-
yWeasel

Avatar: 63475 2010-04-01 02:14:05 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

PhineasPoe Posted:

You make a good point. Really, they’re pretty similar. Both are tied to peens and scoops, both have wins that generally aren’t seen/paid attention to again, and both are usually compared with ****.

Maybe forumbuildr should have the same restrictions. It’s been awhile since I really looked at buildr, but most repeated submissions that win are usually generic things. They don’t really add anything, though it could argued that real forums have people who just post “lol” or “**** you, fabulous person.” Though, that little bit of realism doesn’t do much when the thread are made up of random, unrelated posts.

It’s the same kind of laziness. Hm.

Seems to me that resubmissions anywhere should be bannable. There’s way too much unfunny in all of these places, and if people feel encouraged to take the lazy way out when contributing content, that fact will never change.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

I think what’s being talked about is more, say, the resubmission of Forums for forumbuildr over and over until they win. Like, say an entry comes in second one week, there’s a good chance that forum will be made the next.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

isn’t there a whole culture of incit “hilarity” that revolves around re-using the same jokes and stuff?

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

As with all the “voting” areas of the site, it feels almost arbitrary – what becomes a hard and fast rule, what slides by and what is actively enforced.

While it is nice to try to be original all the time, it kills me that duplicate INCIT submissions are policed rigorously. It just seems like a horrible use of anyone’s time and I don’t see it protecting the integrity of a game that is so ridiculously open to vote abuse as to be laughable.

It is silly to say that a person is plagiarizing themselves, silly to say that something that applies to one picture might not apply to another.

I don’t have a real suggestion to make, I guess it just seems weird to take INCIT so bloody seriously. Especially when some of the other areas, areas that become a permanent part of the game, are ignored.

For example: The image that won for Orgies of Species was pointed out while the item was actively being voted on. It’s directly from a book currently available http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Species-Illustrated-Charles-Darwin/dp/1402756399/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3. The response was that it was too hard to police, but people shouldn’t do it. There is copyright infringement in half the submitted items and a good portion of the winners. From a game perspective the scoop payout from buildr is far larger than INCIT, yet this is too hard to police.

Gosh, maybe we need an iPhone app for the buildrs! Apps seem to make rules easier to define (and much more important), game integrity much more valid and worthy of round the clock attention! Log in to see images!

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

isn’t using your own material not plagiarizing

like if i code a program and copyright it, it’s my right to use the code again.

i’m tryin to play devils advocate not promote inter-mod anarchy fyi.

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 11/10/2009 7:44PM

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Joseph of Suburbia Posted:

I think what’s being talked about is more, say, the resubmission of Forums for forumbuildr over and over until they win. Like, say an entry comes in second one week, there’s a good chance that forum will be made the next.

But to come up with a decent amount of entirely new Forums EVERY WEEK would be essentially impossible. People complain at the lack of originality in the ones we have now, so adding in “no more resubmitting” would really cripple entries. But it’s fairly easy to look through the angry replies or Typical posts and see posts that have nothing to do with the Forum itself. When submitting this week I noticed a surprising number of entries which were like that. All Forums already have a bunch of random generic responses and Typical Posts like “**** YOU!!!” that they cycle through so there is no reason to start adding more for the individual Forum.

Examples in this weeks build:

(Angry Reply) Random Number @money says this sicko is a @insult_homosexual

(Angry Reply) ****ing Nostradamus is making me sick. The sister of the tall brother will shadow the cow while the moon shines. WTF? Seriously? This CLEARLY means that I should use softer paper to wipe my bum. ****ing Nostradamus.

(Angry Reply) Oh yeah? I hope @disaster_human manages to @kill everyone painlessly except you, you @insult_homosexual , while you and your entire @expletive_modifier family dies a slow painful death while @animal @animal_sound s are the only thing you can hear as you rock your @bad @body_part to sleep.

You make me want to give all my @foreign_currency to @insult_racist killing research just so as I can pop a cap in your @irritating_bodily_function @body_part !!!!

(Angry Reply) The Mayan calendar does not END you ****ing retard. The long calender just increments its top gear one notch. It’s out of notches, you say? How many notches does it have? Guess what, you don’t ****ing know, so shut up.

There are many more related to generic Apocalypse, which tells me that someone completely misread the Forum Topic, while the more generic ones I remember have been voted out. In the end I wouldn’t be too concerned about people wasting their submissions on bad entries although I don’t know how many generic/unrelated ones make it through.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I just don’t even bother playing INCIT anymore because the rules feel so arbitrary and pointlessly serious.

Love you anyway PP.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Dunatis Posted:

Examples in this weeks build:

Enemy Avatars: (Seagull Picture) “Death From Above”, and also “Death from Above”.

To be fair I thought of the same damn sub myself (without having looked at the others) and had it rejected because it was the same as one of the ones already there.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

well-known entries that have won before

Also this. Could someone please point me to the list of “well-known entries”? Because TBH, I only know my own entries, and I don’t want to find myself banned because I don’t know how to find the list.

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

Really? This is common sense. I never reused one of my own incit submissions that won, even before it was a rule because it’d create duplicate entries in the hall of **** and it just falls under the integrity of not being “cheap”. You don’t feel like a little weasel doing that? Seriously? Are you the type of guy who only plays as Eddy Gordo on Tekken 3?

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

Also this. Could someone please point me to the list of “well-known entries”? Because TBH, I only know my own entries, and I don’t want to find myself banned because I don’t know how to find the list.

i only know the jackpot entry and a couple of mine that are linked in my profile. and also the one that irawr kept using a while ago of “if this wins – i’ll **** on a toad”

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

MC Banhammer Posted:

Here’s a list for you, sorted by highest votes, with 8915 pages. Happy browsing Log in to see images!

http://www.forumwarz.com/incit/more_highest

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

quangntenemy Posted:

Here’s a list for you, sorted by highest votes, with 8915 pages. Happy browsing Log in to see images!

http://www.forumwarz.com/incit/more_highest

No, that’s not the well-known ones, that’s the entire list. Big difference.

Presumably I wouldn’t get banned for using a little-known one, as that’s not in the rules. Just the well-known ones.

And CS, I didn’t say I was going to re-use an entry of mine. I’m asking WHY I can’t.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!