Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Smile What's interesting about Scotland, kilts, bagpipes, haggis, porridge, whisky and tartan?

-XI-

Avatar: 65028 2009-09-29 14:53:15 -0400

Level 40 Troll

THEY'RE GONNA TASTE GREAT!

None of them are Scottish.

Scotland is named after the Scoti, a Celtic tribe from Ireland, who arrived in what the Romans called Caledonia in the fifth or sixth century AD. By the 11th century they dominated the whole of mainland Scotland. ‘Scots Gaelic’ is actually a dialect of Irish.

Kilts were invented by the Irish but word ‘kilt’ is Danish (kilte op, ‘tuck up’ )

The bagpipes are ancient and were probably invented in Central Asia. They are mentioned in the Old Testament (Daniel 3: 5, 10,15) and in Greek poetry of the 4th century BC. The Romans probably brought them to Britain but the earliest Pictish carvings date from the 8th century AD.

Haggis was an Ancient Greek sausage (Aristophanes mentions one exploding in The Clouds in 423BC).

Oat porridge has been found in the stomachs of 5,000 year old Neolithic bog bodies in central Europe and Scandinavia.

Whisky was invented in ancient China. It arrived in Ireland before Scotland, first distilled by monks. The word derives from the Irish uisge beatha, from the Latin aqua vitae or ‘water of life’.

The elaborate system of clan tartans is a complete myth stemming from the early nineteenth century. All Highland dress, including what tartan or plaid there was, was banned after the 1745 rebellion. The English garrison regiments started designing their own tartans as an affectation, and to mark the state visit of King George IV to Edinburgh in 1822. Queen Victoria encouraged the trend, and it soon became a Victorian craze.

Having said a’ that, they’ve nae been idle, ye ken. Scots inventions and discoveries include: adhesive stamps; the Bank of England; bicycle pedals; the Breech-loading rifle; Bovril; the cell nucleus; chloroform; the cloud chamber; colour photography; cornflour; the cure for malaria; the decimal point; the Encyclopaedia Britannica; electro-magnetism; the fountain pen; finger-printing; Hypnosis; Hypodermic syringes; Insulin; Kaleidoscope; Kelvin scale; The lawnmower; lime cordial; logarithms; lorries; marmalade; motor insurance; the MRI scanner; the paddle steamer; paraffin; piano pedals; the postmark; pneumatic tyres; radar; the reflecting telescope; savings banks; the screw propeller; the speedometer; the steam hammer; the raincoat; tarmac; the teleprinter; tubular steel; the typhoid vaccine; the ultrasound scanner; the United States Navy; Universal Standard Time; vacuum flasks; wave-powered electricity generators and wire rope.

This comes from the book ‘The Book of General Ignorance’ by Stephan Fry. Your brains are now ****ed. Have a nice day.

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

sitting next to the book right now Log in to see images!

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Since when does a country have to have invented something for it to be stereotyped?

America didn’t invent the gun or the fat person, Canada didn’t invent hockey or maple syrup.

Phariad

Avatar: 129763 Mon Jun 15 22:35:47 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 43 Troll

“Banned Camper”

Shii Posted:

Since when does a country have to have invented something for it to be stereotyped?

America didn’t invent the gun or the fat person, Canada didn’t invent hockey or maple syrup.

Canada however invented Basketball Log in to see images!

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

Shii Posted:

Canada didn’t invent hockey or maple syrup.

“From oral histories, there is evidence of a tradition of an ancient hockey-like game played among the Mi’kmaq First Nation in Eastern Canada.”

“Pre-contact native peoples, living in the northeastern part of North America, were the first people known to have produced maple syrup and maple sugar.”

We kinda did. Sorry. And even if we didn’t we still gave the NHL half its hockey players and produce the worlds most maple syrup out of Quebec.

Also although Americans didn’t invent guns or fat people them they perfected them.

Melanin-Enhanced Individual edited this message on 11/03/2009 5:08PM

Blu3Schnauzer

Avatar: 16117 Sun Feb 22 17:55:30 -0500 2009

[Fetal Alcohol Pupp-
ets
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I learned today the German pickle ornament tradition does not actually come from Germany. It’s a purely American thing, apparently.

I should start working on my Mt. Olive conspiracy theory…

nTerra

Avatar: 58905 Mon Oct 27 17:12:24 -0400 2008

Level 29 Camwhore

“Playmate of the Month”

adhesive stamps; the Bank of England; bicycle pedals; the Breech-loading rifle; Bovril; the cell nucleus; chloroform; the cloud chamber; colour photography; cornflour; the cure for malaria; the decimal point; the Encyclopaedia Britannica; electro-magnetism; the fountain pen; finger-printing; Hypnosis; Hypodermic syringes; Insulin; Kaleidoscope; Kelvin scale; The lawnmower; lime cordial; logarithms; lorries; marmalade; motor insurance; the MRI scanner; the paddle steamer; paraffin; piano pedals; the postmark; pneumatic tyres; radar; the reflecting telescope; savings banks; the screw propeller; the speedometer; the steam hammer; the raincoat; tarmac; the teleprinter; tubular steel; the typhoid vaccine; the ultrasound scanner; the United States Navy; Universal Standard Time; vacuum flasks; wave-powered electricity generators and wire rope.

rosieface

Level 9 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Blu3Schnauzer Posted:

I learned today the German pickle ornament tradition does not actually come from Germany. It’s a purely American thing, apparently.

I should start working on my Mt. Olive conspiracy theory…

There’s a lot of stuff like that. Spaghetti and meatballs isn’t really done in Italy, even though Americans consider it to be “Italian food.” And most dishes that people in the US would recognize as Chinese food would be very strange to a person from China—these dishes were invented by Chinese immigrants around the turn of the nineteenth century, who no longer had access to ingredients or cooking tools that they were used to at home and ended up creating a new cuisine.

Things change, people adapt and adopt. I still say if I see a dude with a kilt and a bagpipe, he’s probably a Scot.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

what am i doing to people?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!