Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Shock This week's forum is a total ripoff.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

I'm a fabulous person who goes back on Dom ties

man-man Posted:

International Earth Destruction Advisory Board

The International Earth Destruction Advisory Board is an independent scientific institution which monitors the current status of the Earth and the number of times it has been destroyed. Also under their purview is the thorough research into, and categorisation of, the possible methods by which the Earth may be destroyed.

Topics: Geocide, Prevention, and Research

The idea is a total ripoff of Sam Hughes’s How to destroy the Earth site.

Hell, even the forum name and description is an exact, word-by-word copy of this page.

Sam Huges Posted:

International Earth-Destruction Advisory Board

The International Earth Destruction Advisory Board (IEDAB) is an independent scientific institution which monitors the current status of the Earth and the number of times it has been destroyed. In the event of the Earth being destroyed it will be the IEDAB’s job to relay this information to people who need to know and provide advice on how to proceed.

The IEDAB is funded entirely by charitable donations.

So, unless man-man is actually Mr. Sam Hughes, I think he has no right to submit this idea, let alone to win it.

Ideas are also flooding in awfully quickly within minutes, including the forum logo. Just yesterday, Illuminati Job Board was in the lead (a silly idea, but still… ) How are those entries submitted so quick? Who sent them in? This is suspicious. Perhaps we have another case to investigate.

Even without other illegal tactics, it’s still wrong. A parody is one thing, a copy is another. Does ForumWarz want to bumociate itself with idea theft? Are we allowed to steal jokes and submit them in the future?

Kittysan edited this message on 10/18/2009 10:15PM

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Welcome to most forums?

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

Kittysan Posted:

A parody is one thing, a copy is another.

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

We’ll look into it, but dont expect too muhc. That’s far too vague.

dobnits edited this message on 10/18/2009 10:15PM

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Taking it word for word is pretty bad

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Do you have nothing better to do than google every idea that wins and isn’t yours?

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

Vague?

man-man Posted:

International Earth Destruction Advisory Board

The International Earth Destruction Advisory Board is an independent scientific institution which monitors the current status of the Earth and the number of times it has been destroyed. Also under their purview is the thorough research into, and categorisation of, the possible methods by which the Earth may be destroyed.

Topics: Geocide, Prevention, and Research

Sam Huges Posted:

International Earth-Destruction Advisory Board

The International Earth Destruction Advisory Board (IEDAB) is an independent scientific institution which monitors the current status of the Earth and the number of times it has been destroyed. In the event of the Earth being destroyed it will be the IEDAB’s job to relay this information to people who need to know and provide advice on how to proceed.

The IEDAB is funded entirely by charitable donations.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

Skyman747 Posted:

Do you have nothing better to do than google every idea that wins and isn’t yours?

I take that as an insult. Seriously, don’t you think that’s it’s possible that I happened to read that before, and remember it, because the site is well-known, well written, and funny? Even Wikipedia links to it as a reference, like this article and this one.

Sheesh. I reported an idea theft, and now I’m a sore loser?

Kittysan edited this message on 10/18/2009 10:53PM

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

Catt although Posted:

Taking it word for word is pretty bad

Plagiarism is a serious crime.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Yeah. There’s a big gap between parody and wholesale plagiarism.

Rawr Monster

Level 29 Camwhore

“Playmate of the Month”

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

Yeah. There’s a big gap between parody and wholesale plagiarism.

I agree. Most of the forums in Forumwarz are a direct parody of something, but don’t lift text word for word, and some combine two ideas (like Scientology and Dragonball Z for the Church of Sayiantology)

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

There are forums that pretty closely plagiarize though, like WalMartyr for instance.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kittysan Posted:

I reported an idea theft, and now I’m a sore loser?

You’re also a hypocrite.

You claim to be good at submitting styles, but most of your styles are near carbon copies of styles that were already doing well for several days before mysteriously getting a surge of downvotes right before the forum gets posted.

As far as man-man’s submission goes, I think he could have done a better job at paraphrasing, but for the most part I don’t consider it plagiarism to keep good chunks of sentences intact. This is because paraphrasing can often obscure the reference, and if people don’t have a clear idea of what the parody is it’s not likely the idea will win, and if it does it’s not likely it’ll make a good forum.

That said though, I don’t like the idea of making hypothetical forums for existing organizations. Like with the “Arrogant Bastard Forums”, what happens if a real Arrogant Bastard Ale Forum comes into being? Even if the build preceded it, it’ll be seen as a poor parody at best, a cheesy ripoff at worst.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

mterek Posted:

You’re also a hypocrite.

You claim to be good at submitting styles, but most of your styles are near carbon copies of styles that were already doing well for several days before mysteriously getting a surge of downvotes right before the forum gets posted.

As far as man-man’s submission goes, I think he could have done a better job at paraphrasing, but for the most part I don’t consider it plagiarism to keep good chunks of sentences intact. This is because paraphrasing can often obscure the reference, and if people don’t have a clear idea of what the parody is it’s not likely the idea will win, and if it does it’s not likely it’ll make a good forum.

That said though, I don’t like the idea of making hypothetical forums for existing organizations. Like with the “Arrogant Bastard Forums”, what happens if a real Arrogant Bastard Ale Forum comes into being? Even if the build preceded it, it’ll be seen as a poor parody at best, a cheesy ripoff at worst.

You do realize that there’s basically one way to win Forum Style, and that’s to copy the colors in the logo as closely as possible, and that typically results in many very similar forum styles.

kraigu

Avatar: 132907 2010-01-24 16:36:53 -0500

Level 69 Hacker

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

mterek Posted:

If something needs to be plagiarized in order to make it clear that it’s being parodied, then perhaps it’s not a good target for the parody in the first place. And yes, keeping significant portions is one form of plagiarism (there’s lots more than simple copying).

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

I came across the HTDTE page, and the rest of the guy’s website, and found it freaking hilarious. I didn’t really expect the sub to win to be honest, so I wasn’t expecting this to come up. If it offends you that I saw something awesome and wanted to maybe make some buildr jokes about it then… well I don’t even know what recourse there is at this point. My sincerest apologies if I’ve ****ed off the plagiarism police.

Kittysan Posted:

Ideas are also flooding in awfully quickly within minutes, including the forum logo. Just yesterday, Illuminati Job Board was in the lead (a silly idea, but still… ) How are those entries submitted so quick? Who sent them in? This is suspicious. Perhaps we have another case to investigate.

I haven’t gotten around to submitting anything yet (end time is 2am here, I’m busy all morning and most of the afternoon… could be this evening before I’ve got any time to make with the funny). I don’t know how people are so quick, but I was watching the scores last night – mine was in a very close 2nd/tied for first (at one point in a 3-way tie for first) for a fair while before the end, and took the lead with a couple hours to go. Anyone obsessively watching buildr to get their subs in quickly would have had some time to at least realise that Illuminati Job Board wasn’t a sure thing and start thinking.

man-man edited this message on 10/19/2009 6:08AM

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

mterek Posted:

I don’t think you know what paraphrasing is. And plagiarism is “keeping good chunks of sentences intact.”

One more thing. Your hypothetical situation is the exact opposite of this and not really comparable.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shii Posted:

You do realize that there’s basically one way to win Forum Style, and that’s to copy the colors in the logo as closely as possible, and that typically results in many very similar forum styles.

This is true, but it doesn’t explain why one of several seemingly generic styles gets a lot of votes at the end, netting Kitty-san 4/5 past style wins. Clearly, people must place huge value on Arial font and slightly enlarged margins, because honestly such dramatic changes don’t really impress me that much.

was Posted:

I don’t think you know what paraphrasing is.

I know enough to admit man-man didn’t do it.

was Posted:

And plagiarism is “keeping good chunks of sentences intact.”

What I meant to say is, “I think some online plagiarism is alright if it’s clearly intended for parody”. Parody has to imitate the original to some degree to preserve the reference, but some parodies have to go further than others.

I’m only advocating this in general, though. I don’t think it applies to this case.

was Posted:

One more thing. Your hypothetical situation is the exact opposite of this and not really comparable.

I didn’t get the opportunity to vote for this forum, but had I done so I would have downvoted it based on it potentially being a real forum and not because it lifted text from a webpage.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

mterek Posted:

What I meant to say is, “I think some online plagiarism is alright if it’s clearly intended for parody”. Parody has to imitate the original to some degree to preserve the reference, but some parodies have to go further than others.

I’m only advocating this in general, though. I don’t think it applies to this case.

Maybe this is what you mean by “this case”, but this isn’t a parody of that site, it’s a copy.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

I have one thing to say,

Copy and pasting select sentences DIRECTLY from the site is plagiarism in my book.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!