Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
FAQ Questions about the new INCIT rule

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Instead of just deleting valid questions from the rules thread, I’m quoting them here so you guys can get your answers. The rules thread is for announcements only, not questions or discussion so I’ll be deleting those posts in a moment.

sandyk Posted:

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

4) Do not plagiarize or copy previously submitted entries, including your own. This can mean copying well-known entries that have won before; copying other people’s submissions from previous rounds; or simply resubmitting the same entry (or variations of the same entry) regardless of relevance.

what if you are making a modification of one of your own subs? is that plagirism?

also I understand what the “no previous wins” block does and what this rule does but it’s only a matter of time until a picture is repeated enough to be rendered unfunny cause all the “funny” subs has been applied to it

Celerysteve Posted:

I think the non-sequiturs rule could be abused, non-sequiturs can be funny… People are also bound to think of similar things, especially with so many players and so few pics. I mean what if someone comes up with the same idea and they don’t know it?

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

is this rule enforced by a human or automatically (like /r9k/)

spacekadt

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Inertia Posted:

is this rule enforced by a human or automatically (like /r9k/)

this one I can answer.. it’s enforced by mods/admins

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

spacekadt Posted:

this one I can answer.. it’s enforced by mods/admins

So when would you get around to banning me? I think I have about 50 wins with the exact same Title/motivational text.

spacekadt

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

DEAD fabulous person Posted:

So when would you get around to banning me? I think I have about 50 wins with the exact same Title/motivational text.

not retro Log in to see images!

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

spacekadt Posted:

not retro Log in to see images!

So I’d need to make even more carbombs? I do have a life, you know.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Exactly how plagiarised constitutes plagiarism? Same image + same text is easy enough, but what about cases in between?

There’s a line I’m pretty sure I’ve invented rather than remembered (can’t find anything similar via Google), that will work as a funny subtitle for a variety of pictures, but under a different main title each time (depending on the picture).

Different picture, different title, same subtitle = self-plagiarism? Or not?

Thinking about it, there are some jokes where much the same joke will genuinely work for more than one picture (not in the vein of a “Pic unrelated” joke, just that more than one image fits the bill). So then it’d be the same text, but under a different picture. Too similar?

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

It would have been nice to see this rule written before making bans for it.

A week late though.

The thing is that they are making a bunch of rules to overcome the poorly developed system of INCIT.

Too much repetition of pics? make people not submit the same entry twice. Dumpvoting? Ban the people who make the dump entries. Unfunny? Make people be funny. etc etc etc

NeoVid

Avatar: 174653 Fri May 22 01:54:45 -0400 2009

[WeChall]

Level 63 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

I will be very nervous about playing INCIT until I know I can safely recycle my old entries.

IsSoCash

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

This worries me also.

IsSoCash edited this message on 10/02/2009 2:42AM

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

ChilePepino Posted:

It would have been nice to see this rule written before making bans for it.

A week late though.

The thing is that they are making a bunch of rules to overcome the poorly developed system of INCIT.

Too much repetition of pics? make people not submit the same entry twice. Dumpvoting? Ban the people who make the dump entries. Unfunny? Make people be funny. etc etc etc

You were banned for spamming. It just happened to also be self-plagiarism.

We’re aware of the limitations of INCIT. But I don’t see why we should allow plagiarism in a game that’s supposed to be a contest about creativity. Just as certain aspects of its development have been unfortunately neglected, so has its regulation. You could argue that the two should go hand-in-hand, but I feel these rules are long overdue.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

man-man Posted:

Exactly how plagiarised constitutes plagiarism? Same image + same text is easy enough, but what about cases in between?

There’s a line I’m pretty sure I’ve invented rather than remembered (can’t find anything similar via Google), that will work as a funny subtitle for a variety of pictures, but under a different main title each time (depending on the picture).

Different picture, different title, same subtitle = self-plagiarism? Or not?

Thinking about it, there are some jokes where much the same joke will genuinely work for more than one picture (not in the vein of a “Pic unrelated” joke, just that more than one image fits the bill). So then it’d be the same text, but under a different picture. Too similar?

This rule isn’t meant to punish any newb who accidentally stumbles onto a similar turn of phrase as a previous player. There are going to be some lines of thought, pop-culture references and yes, even memes, that are unavoidable in some situations.

What we’re trying to stop is blatant, repeated and deliberate rip-offs.

As long as you’re not trying to game the system, as a few players have basically admitted to doing, you’ll be fine.

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

But I don’t see why we should allow plagiarism in a game that’s supposed to be a contest about creativity.

The very format is a meme and it draws in the least creative demographic on the internet.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!