Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll POLL: How long should INCIT rounds last?

MercWithMouth

Avatar: 150029 2009-09-15 13:35:36 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 35 Hacker

Verbose and long-winded as always

d4 Posted:

Just mentioning, the people who generally go for the 2 mins are the same people who’d abuse incit and just troll people/ go for dumps, not ALL of you so no offense. I vote 2.5 simply because sometimes halfway the submission period you might see a typo or think of a better way to phrase things, just the same i agree 3 minutes is too much and the flexible voting time would be nice, i’m often forced to dumpvote because of it.

I think that’s a good observation. And who knows…? Maybe 2min is optimal. But, better to test the waters with 2.5min first.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

It also gives mods a chance to record the names of the filthy, filthy spammers. So I think 10 seconds might be cutting it a bit too short.

I haven’t been paying much attention to the INCIT drama as of late, but beyond dumpvoting can’t autoban scripts be implemented to lessen the load? I mean policing INCIT everyday for bad behaviour is a monumental task and it’s just going to compound in workload if the submission period gets reduced.

Also, I voted 2 minutes – three does feel like a long wait.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

mterek Posted:

I haven’t been paying much attention to the INCIT drama as of late, but beyond dumpvoting can’t autoban scripts be implemented to lessen the load? I mean policing INCIT everyday for bad behaviour is a monumental task and it’s just going to compound in workload if the submission period gets reduced.

Also, I voted 2 minutes – three does feel like a long wait.

I don’t like this idea, how will the bot determine abuse? People who are, according to standarts, not as “good” at incit will just get banned away. People who post way too fast on regular conversation (not spam) might also get banned by bot.

ChilePepino edited this message on 09/30/2009 4:09PM

SanDyk

Avatar: 175636 2012-01-01 09:50:12 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I am the internet equivelent of Jon Stewart! Except less funny...

d4 Posted:

Just mentioning, the people who generally go for the 2 mins are the same people who’d abuse incit and just troll people/ go for dumps.

what? that’s a misconception if anything.

A lot of the funny subs are done at the last minute or are done with little thinking. I know that WWWWWWWW subs are done in like 2 seconds of when the rounds start but that doesn’t mean that that they are guaranteed to win against the “somewhat witty” last second subs.

Ok I’ll admit, before JB started policing INCIT it was p easy to make a brainless sub and win. Now that JB has decided to do a 24/7 watch on the game it’s become clear: That although there needs to mod the subs AND It looks like that they are going to be unpopular with the regulars (as it has been proven with JB. More and more people have decided to loathe him since the incit-ent).

I mean we can talk till the cows come home on how to improve incit but it’s still going to be as bad at it was and always has been.

Negropolux

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

2.5 min.is ok for people like me, who must put them entries into a online translator to see if the spelling is correct XD

But I believe that you must to do something with te rounds than don get 5 submissions quickly, is really boring have to wait several minutes (more than five) to can vote.

d4

[Tormenting Evil Kn-
uckles of Satan
]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

SanDyk Posted:

what? that’s a misconception if anything.

you’re a good example. you don’t really like incit, you used to go and post WWWW’s or general ****ty subs to waste time or **** people off, I really don’t know or are for cause very much, point I mean is if the people who don’t really like it usually say 2 minutes, and the people like phin or merc who have used it at some point for actual fun purposes tend to agree on the 2.5 instead. most of forumwarz doesn’t really use incit that much, however everyone gets their say, liking incit or not. right now 2 minutes is in the lead as far as the pole goes, i just wanted opinions to be taken by their owners perspective.

iSecksMachine

Avatar: 187298 2009-10-28 20:24:45 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

2 minutes, 30 seconds should be fine.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

ChilePepino Posted:

I don’t like this idea, how will the bot determine abuse? People who are, according to standarts, not as “good” at incit will just get banned away. People who post way too fast on regular conversation (not spam) might also get banned by bot.

What I meant is if someone keyspams that’ll trigger the autoban.

SanDyk

Avatar: 175636 2012-01-01 09:50:12 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I am the internet equivelent of Jon Stewart! Except less funny...

d4 Posted:

you don’t really like incit, you used to go and post WWWW’s or general ****ty subs to waste time or **** people off

wrong. I made ****ty subs cause they were easier to win*. (****ing people off was a bonus).

Also You’re making poor bumumptions about me. I could easily say that you’re just a noob that only posts in “post here for a 1/1000000000 chance of getting bee pee” threads just by my first impression of you.(didn’t mean to have that sound a bit trollish bit I’m sick of people making ****ty bumumptions just because of the things I do FOR ONE TIME)

­

­

­

­

­

*didn’t you read my post at all?

d4

[Tormenting Evil Kn-
uckles of Satan
]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

^

I said you were an example. Theres other such as Chile. Just an example okay buddy?

Those post for bp threads are from many many months ago. I’m sorry for ****ing you off, you responded to me and I responded back.

fuzzyeric

[Forumwarz Universi-
ty
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I’ve played a bit of INCIT. I find the following:

• There are two time intervals relevant for submitting:
    • The full submission time, which is experienced when one is playing for multiple rounds, and
    • the little bit of time left when one first arrives.

• The voting time is not long enough when there are 10+ submissions.
  • The results time is too long when there’s a multi-way, low-vote tie.
  • The results time is too short when the votes cluster among a few subs.

What I would recommend:

• Limit the submission period to 2.5 minutes or 10 subs, whichever comes first.
  • Start logging stats for the number of “late submits” — submit bumon hits after submissions are closed.
  • Roll on to the next photo if five minutes isn’t long enough to get five submissions. Or, as suggested elsewhere (by duca? maybe?) mix prior wins on that photo in to get five.
  • 60 seconds for voting. Should be enough time for 5-10 subs.
  • Start logging stats for the number of disqualified votes — find out if submitters are getting bored that would have received votes.
  • 30 seconds for results, *and* make results accessible through the recent wins box.
  • Start logging stats for lag time between a win and time it’s viewed through the recent wins box.

I only recommend all that logging so that Log in to see images!

JAck T Ripped

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

The two main complaints I hear about INCIT nowadays are:

1) It sucks
2) The rounds take too long

I’m wondering what you feel would be the optimal time between rounds. We’ve shortened them a couple of times in the past, so it’s not a problem to do it again. However, we don’t want to take it too far.

If you haven’t played in a while, I suggest you go in and play or lurk for a round or two to get a better feel for how long rounds should last!

Currently, it’s 3:20 for the submission stage. It’s also a minute for voting and the winners/submitters are displayed for 45 seconds. It’s possible that those should be shortened too. Any comments or suggestions regarding INCIT round length are welcome here.

I’d like you to put a limit on the timer reset that 5000 does. like he reset the timer thirty seconds? Can you make that switch to “As no one else thinks this picture has any humor value, we will continue to voting now.” after the tenth time? I’ve sat for almost a half hour before because the pic was so utterly boring.

Camber

Level 17 Hacker

“Packet Sniffer ”

Is everyone bearing in mind that shorter submission time will result in crappier submissions, on average?

Improvement suggestion #1: make prior winning posters visible on the submission screen without requiring a clickthrough. This would allow for shorter display time.

Improvement suggestion #2: Have a counter on the display screen that increments to match the number of submissions received so far.

I like others’ suggestion that voting time scale with submissions. Maybe set a minimum voting time of 30 seconds, and add 5 seconds of time per submission over 5.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

I'm a fabulous person who goes back on Dom ties

Camber Posted:

Is everyone bearing in mind that shorter submission time will result in crappier submissions, on average?

Exactly.

Also, think of people with slower connection. Even winning Log in to see images! doesn’t rely of time anymore, changed to turn-based system to give more chances to non-broadband users. Why should INCIT counter that move?

Voting more time (3.5 minutes) for that. You can’t rush creativity. Quick mbum production only leads to generic crap.

Kittysan edited this message on 09/30/2009 11:02PM

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

The real reason why INCIT’s taking too long is because after midnight there aren’t not enough people playing and it takes forever to wait for the 5th sub. The change to one single round doesn’t fix this problem at all. The only solution is to make it more entertaining to play. To do this you need to address 2 problems: unfunny pictures and dump voting. The former can be solved with natural selection, but the latter is a real problem because people tend to dump vote because by nature of the game it is beneficial to do so. If there’s a reward for voting for the winning subs then maybe it could be different.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

SanDyk Posted:

Should be one minute imo Log in to see images!

This.

Also, the end part where the winner is shown does NOT need to be as long as it is. Shorten that to like, idk, 25 seconds?

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

I’d say that the winner display could be just 20 seconds since you already know which subs or submitters you want to see, and for the actual voting. Why not 5 seconds per submission? 10 submitters, 50 seconds, 5 submitters, 25 seconds. Too short? How about 30 seconds for 5 and then +7 seconds per additional submission. 10 would then be 65 seconds and still a short 30 seconds for 5, made easier when people do junk entries or 5th sub entries.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

d4 Posted:

^

I said you were an example. Theres other such as Chile. Just an example okay buddy?

Those post for bp threads are from many many months ago. I’m sorry for ****ing you off, you responded to me and I responded back.

I rarely spammed WWWWWWWWWWWWW if at all. Just because you don’t like my submissions doesn’t mean I’m not being seriously amused by myself.

drussthebrit-
ishbastard

Avatar: 61156 Fri Jan 09 16:01:01 -0500 2009

Level 68 Troll

Finest upstanding member of society, ever!

2.5 minutes

Also posting in case there is a peen.

Magnusian Pr-
ime

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Voting 3.5 minutes, I try to put actual thought into my submissions, which usually means editing them a few times. A lot of the time I can’t submit a “finalized” edit before the timer runs out.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!