Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rage Randomization of forumbuilding entries: Remove it already

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

And put the all in the order submitted. I’m so sick of voting up the “Yes, I expected that to be there and it truly belongs”, only to find the SAME ****ING THING posted on the next page, earlier. The earlier entry should’ve gotten the upvote IMO. And the only way to fix this is to remove the randomization and show them in the order they were put in.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

Or remove the ability to post the same thing twice?

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Johnny Mac Posted:

Or remove the ability to post the same thing twice?

That wouldn’t work for a couple of reasons. Number one being similar but not identical. Let’s say “Posting this” was a common thing, and people wanted to submit it.

Posting this.
Postin' this.
posting [b]THIS[/b]

See?

wtfmcnuggets

Avatar: 104315 Sat Apr 11 13:02:16 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 40 Troll

i finally grew a male reproductive organ

If they were ordered by time posted, your entries would likely be grouped together, which could lead to biased voting. Especially if you’re submitting at some random time during the week.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

wtfmcnuggets Posted:

If they were ordered by time posted, your entries would likely be grouped together, which could lead to biased voting. Especially if you’re submitting at some random time during the week.

I agree with MCB but I also agree that this would be a problem.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

MC Banhammer Posted:

That wouldn’t work for a couple of reasons. Number one being similar but not identical. Let’s say “Posting this” was a common thing, and people wanted to submit it.

Posting this.
Postin' this.
posting [b]THIS[/b]

See?

I’d say one of those is better than the others.

momentumener-
gy

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Jmac’s idea is better

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

MC Banhammer Posted:

Posting this.
Postin' this.
posting [b]THIS[/b]

See?

That still prevents completely identical entries from being submitted, which would cure bug ailments. If two forums are seemingly identical, one would be clued in to look for uncaught spelling errors found in the new one.

As far as order goes, I don’t really see why it’s a big deal. If things aren’t random, biases from all sources can be introduced, as already mentioned.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

mterek Posted:

That still prevents completely identical entries from being submitted

That’s my point exactly. In my example, I would like to vote for the first one submitted, figuring the others are copycats. That can’t be done if the 2nd or 3rd showed up on the first page but the 1st one didn’t.

wtfmcnuggets

Avatar: 104315 Sat Apr 11 13:02:16 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 40 Troll

i finally grew a male reproductive organ

I think the “copycat” entries this week are more of a result of hivemind and imitating popular things that we see here in Flamebate everyday. I (and many others, probably) submit some entries before getting around to voting. I accidentally duped someone’s entry and didn’t know it, just because it was a popular saying. I don’t think this is as much of an issue in regular forumbuildr weeks, when community jokes aren’t involved. I usually vote on every submission, every week, and I’ve never noticed a huge problem with copycat subs until now.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!