Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Debate Respawning threads and hydra

fuzzyeric

[Forumwarz Universi-
ty
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I’ve been thinking about a feasible way to add respawning threads to in-game fora, that

• can’t be used for cred farming, and
  • can provide a meaningful in-game challenge for level capped characters.

For plain respawners, the idea is that such a thread

• is worth a bit more cred than normal,
  • is no more difficult than any other thread to kill (each time),
  • respawns a semi-random number of seconds after it is pwned, and must be killed again (with a hysteresis or de-bounce check to make sure it doesn’t respawn before the “go to next thread dialog” is drawn), and
  • awards about (some number)% of its remaining cred each time it is killed.

For example, a respawn thread that happens to be worth 100 cred at this instant, granting 80%/kill will grant 80 cred. If it respawns, it will grant 80% of the remaining cred (80% of 100-80=20 = 16 cred) and so on.

Hydra are similar except that pwned hydra create more than one thread when they respawn (and need not all respawn at the same time) with a similar cred pro-rating scheme for the respawned copies.

This would also lead to the opportunity for additional forms of spiders:

• respawn finders (perhaps go after the non-respawners first)
  • respawn killers (automatically kills respawns for you, but using your secondary attribute to fuel its attacks)

and abilities:

• burn (if kills a thread, prevents it having descendants)
  • mirror (attack all respawns simultaneously)

I know this idea isn’t adequately fleshed out for implementing. Currently, I’m looking for first pbumes of “this is obviously broken in manner X”. See any obvious flaws?

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

I”m confused?

fuzzyeric

[Forumwarz Universi-
ty
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Fingerz, Does any of it make any sense in any way?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!