Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fix It So apparently someone is downvoting everything

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

HackerOnHacker Posted:

So apparently the Emergency Numbers won. Pity. There were some pretty cool ideas that round…

The fact that I never even saw them (first time I checked was about 3-4 hours in, only 2 ideas were left by then) is kinda putting me off Itembuildr at the moment. Which is a shame; I’ve enjoyed making images for it before, but if the winning ideas are all somewhat lame then making images for them is no fun.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

man-man Posted:

The fact that I never even saw them (first time I checked was about 3-4 hours in, only 2 ideas were left by then) is kinda putting me off Itembuildr at the moment. Which is a shame; I’ve enjoyed making images for it before, but if the winning ideas are all somewhat lame then making images for them is no fun.

Yeah, most of the ideas that have won so far have been a bit Log in to see images!

Afterthotz

Avatar: 187543 2010-01-24 16:13:10 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I lurk much better than I post - and my lurking skills really suck.

man-man Posted:

This, a hundred times this. I’m never around at 3 when they voting starts, and by the time I DO get to take a peek, we’re always down to very few suggestions that haven’t been -5’d.

I never got to see any of the other suggestions either. And yes, I know this might sound weird, but I certainly didn’t expect ‘The list’ to survive and win.

“Give anyone a lever long enough and they can change the world. It’s unreliable levers that are the problem.”

Sarcasm Inc

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Afterthotz Posted:

This, a hundred times this. I’m never around at 3 when they voting starts, and by the time I DO get to take a peek, we’re always down to very few suggestions that haven’t been -5’d.

I never got to see any of the other suggestions either. And yes, I know this might sound weird, but I certainly didn’t expect ‘The list’ to survive and win.

“Give anyone a lever long enough and they can change the world. It’s unreliable levers that are the problem.”

The trouble is, Buildr is turning into INCIT. Any decent idea gets downvoted, as it poses a threat. That only leaves the ****ty ones. Yay.

If you want to tackle this, just prevent people who submit something from downvoting in that category. For example, if I submit an item idea, I can still vote on images, but I can’t downvote every other idea sub just so mine has an advantage. Let them upvote, but don’t let submitters downvote. Apply the same to ForumBuilr, and you’ll curb a lot of this.

Sarcasm Inc edited this message on 09/29/2009 3:13AM

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

The trouble is, Buildr is turning into INCIT. Any decent idea gets downvoted, as it poses a threat.

This is something I noticed a few days back. Items submitted on the very first day of the Special Item streak that did very well (survived the whole run with a positive score) got less votes and more negatives the second time around, and by the third round they were getting -5’s within the first hour and not a single upvote.

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

That only leaves the ****ty ones. Yay.

Bad entries make bad items, Episode III or no. If all the remaining winning subs turn out poor, I think CZ will make it worth the effort for the people who submitted before the trolling.

DrScience

Level 30 Emo Kid

I LUST AFTER FAT CHICKS ON THE INTERNET BECAUSE REAL GIRLS HATE ME

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

If you want to tackle this, just prevent people who submit something from downvoting in that category. For example, if I submit an item idea, I can still vote on images, but I can’t downvote every other idea sub just so mine has an advantage. Let them upvote, but don’t let submitters downvote. Apply the same to ForumBuilr, and you’ll curb a lot of this.

I like this idea quite a bit. It doesn’t completely lock those that participate out of voting for what they’re in; it just locks out the easy to abuse part of voting.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

I’m not sure Itembuildr really needs submissions to removed for a low score – there’s not normally that many of them to start with, especially on the images side. I’d suggest letting scores continue to drop past -5 without the submission disappearing. The chance of a comeback might be slim but it’s possible. Also I would be amused to see just how low the score on a ****ty sub could go.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

man-man Posted:

I’m not sure Itembuildr really needs submissions to removed for a low score – there’s not normally that many of them to start with, especially on the images side. I’d suggest letting scores continue to drop past -5 without the submission disappearing. The chance of a comeback might be slim but it’s possible. Also I would be amused to see just how low the score on a ****ty sub could go.

This. at the very least it would give those who are legitimately voting instead of submitting then downvoting things into oblivion. Also, consider the idea of not being allowed to vote if you submitted, also a good idea imo.

mterek

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

I’d support a few rounds of that as well.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

man-man Posted:

I endorse this idea as well. Not a perfect solution, but pretty good for the interim.

I’d be much more likely to participate if I knew that my vote seemed to make a difference, even if it means the “winner” had a score of -27.

HackerOnHack-
er

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I came up with an idea for forumbuildr, due to all the excessive downvoting. Remove the downvote function, leaving upvote and pbum. Then after a set period of time (let’s say three days), all entries that haven’t received more than that week’s median of upvotes are removed. For example, if the highest-voted item in the period has 20 upvotes and the lowest has zero, then everything below 10 will be removed on that day. I hope that makes sense.

HackerOnHacker edited this message on 10/12/2009 4:05PM

Sarcasm Inc

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

The trouble is, Buildr is turning into INCIT. Any decent idea gets downvoted, as it poses a threat. That only leaves the ****ty ones. Yay.

mterek

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

Most of the items were pretty bad though. I know, I put in one of my first “last minute” entries because I’ve been gone for a few days.

Switzerland

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Whether or not they were bad entries doesn’t matter when -2 was winning after 10 minutes of voting. The goal seems to be to knock as much out as possible as soon as possible so there’s less competition when people start voting fairly. I agree with the option of forbidding downvoting in categories that you enter. Then again this will allow idiotic entries like the all W’s one today to stick around longer. Limiting the number of downvotes to something like 75% of all entries might help with this.

apocalypse_n-
ow

Level 55 Camwhore

“Justine Berry”

Public voting may allow us to see who is downvoting everything. Giving a single positive vote to only one submission also helps. It’s sad that the situation is now like this.

Speaking of new levels of stupidity on INCIT and dumpvoting, check this out:

http://www.forumwarz.com/incit/view/126734

Cheers!

apocalypse_now edited this message on 10/14/2009 6:44AM

nTerra

Avatar: 58905 Mon Oct 27 17:12:24 -0400 2008

Level 29 Camwhore

“Playmate of the Month”

man-man Posted:

This. I didn’t even get to see most of the subs, so it’s hardly a fair shake.

apocalypse_n-
ow

Level 55 Camwhore

“Justine Berry”

nTerra Posted:

This. I didn’t even get to see most of the subs, so it’s hardly a fair shake.

Since I ALWAYS get 10 downvotes whatever I post, if these happen to be the first, then I’m disqualified and I loose the chance of chocolate scoops that I always get for the upvotes that I receive.

apocalypse_now edited this message on 10/14/2009 1:23PM

mterek

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

There isn’t a whole lot of chocolate available for itembuildr, though. The voting pool is about 90 votes, so theoretically the max one can get is 18 scoops with all upvotes and no downvotes. In comparison, one could get 12 votes with a successful hour of INCIT and 20 scoops with 10 subs that get 10 upvotes.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!