Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fix It Idea to change forumbuildr timing, which also fixes downvoting and how Fran is Fat won

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Limit the days things can be submitted on and voted on. Submission only (no voting) from Sunday night to dom end time. As part of dom rollover, turn on voting and turn off submissions.

Each day Wed-Sun, give each person x up and x down votes (20?), which can be banked for that week (so you could save all 80 for Sunday if you want).

To make this work you’d have to remove the random display of entries. Instead, let us filter whichever we choose into “yes”, “no”, “probably”, “probably not” and “meh” buckets, and up/downvote from those only.

Dom players might like this too, as they can strategically plan their chocolate — no you or someone else getting surprise chocolate after Sunday (except via Itembuildr).

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

I like this.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

More details:

Sort the entries in the buckets, and during selection time, by time entered.

Allow us to bucket them throughout the week, just don’t enable voting.

Mods should have the ability to remove image entries which violate global rules (embedding shock for example), and find out who made the submission in such a case for appropriate bannage.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

It’s an interesting idea, but it doesn’t really solve the problem of low winning submissions winning. It remedies the issue of early submissions having to “go the distance” but biases against certain schedules in the week not only by cutting it short, but restricting it to a certain time of the week. Itembuildr and INCIT don’t have that problem, but they also have higher volume. Using Domination’s already poor schedule as a frame for Forumbuildr’s won’t solve the problems.

Perhaps we could only have forums submitted on weekends, then spend the week to vote on the entries?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Not trolling here, but doesn’t it seem a bit silly to be suggesting more new ideas when CZ hasn’t changed a single thing at all in it for the last 8 months?

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Shii’s got it in one. We can make as many threads as we want, but nothing is going to happen anytime soon (unless there’s something in the works, which is unlikely).

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

What you’re forgetting is there’s one guy doing all the coding, and he’s focussing on game enhancements and Ep3.

If I an idea takes off and gets lots of support, it will be done. Not putting the idea out guarantees it won’t be. So I had this idea, and I threw it out. If dozens of people said “Hey yeah, this is awesome! DO IT!” then it would get on ET’s list.

Sarcasm Inc

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

What you’re forgetting is there’s one guy doing all the coding, and he’s focussing on game enhancements and Ep3.

If I an idea takes off and gets lots of support, it will be done. Not putting the idea out guarantees it won’t be. So I had this idea, and I threw it out. If dozens of people said “Hey yeah, this is awesome! DO IT!” then it would get on ET’s list.

Nope, I realise it’s a one man job, and I admire ET for that, but that’s why I know this will take forever. For the same reason, getting something ‘on ET’s list’ isn’t hard, it’s getting it done that’s the problem.

Cream O 1337

Level 35 Hacker

ANAL MASTURBATOR

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

Nope, I realise it’s a one man job, and I admire ET for that, but that’s why I know this will take forever. For the same reason, getting something ‘on ET’s list’ isn’t hard, it’s getting it done that’s the problem.

Peregrine

Avatar: 135742 2011-10-31 19:55:54 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 35 Camwhore

Forumwarz' Pretend Homosexual

Considering how many entries get placed each week, I find that it would be tedious and annoying to have to sort the entries before I can say which ones are ****ty.

On the other hand, this would make mbum down-voting much easier as one could just move everything to a No pile.

Tossing in a completely different idea, if you made the voting scores invisible (i.e., users can’t check to see which submissions are in the lead) it would be much more difficult to coordinate wonderful success stories like Fran is Fat.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Peregrine Posted:

On the other hand, this would make mbum down-voting much easier as one could just move everything to a No pile.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Each day Wed-Sun, give each person x up and x down votes (20?), which can be banked for that week (so you could save all 80 for Sunday if you want).

Makes the down-voting easier, but with more than 80 (and understand these numbers are flexible) total submissions, you’d have to choose which to downvote.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

This has been a success in itembuildr lets move it to Forumbuildr. I am sure it will work twice as well.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Separating submissions from voting would help… should remove the bandwagon effect since you can’t see what’s being upvoted before you submit. Would also take the pressure off on submitting early – you’ve got a few days before voting starts so there’s no need to rush.

Limiting up/down votes would stop rampant downvoting in its tracks, but would mean the filtering effect is less powerful on mediocre entries – the ones that sit in everyone’s maybe bucket because they’re not that good or all that terrible would just stay at a score of 1.

I’m also not so sure about the bucket system; putting an extra step into the voting process sounds like it might discourage lazy people from voting at all (possibly an upside) or lead to confusion from buildr noobs along the lines of “I put it in the no bucket, that didn’t count as downvoting?”.

Maybe trial it a step at a time – first separate submission time from voting time, then think about the rest.

Sarcasm Inc

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

We need to do something, it really doesn’t matter what at this stage. It really can’t get too much worse.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!