Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Limit Card Use

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

The last few minutes of Domination got pretty hectic, and laggy, and confusing. I like the idea of limiting card use, something like 1 card per 10 minutes (feel free to comment). Mostly because I like strategy games, and this increases the strategy aspect of Domination by making you choose your use of cards a little more carefully. Log in to see images!

Credit to Wyrd – quoted from a Tubmail.

Wyrd Posted:

It got hard though, at the 2 minute mark, there was a lot of lag. I think cards should be playable per a certain time frame, that way people will play more of them during the rest of the week, seems more interesting.

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Seconded. This thing of rush-carding is a bit too hectic for my tastes, personally.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Would limiting card to 1/10minutes or even 1/1min make late min scoop runs and ties easier or harder to accomplish?

I guess the other thing, would creating a card timer increase or decrease overall lag? Presumably the server would need to maintain a hold timer preventing the player from spamming cards. If the hold timer increases server load (which I bumume is the source of most of the latency) then it could be counterproductive.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

This is an interesting idea, god knows it’s a nightmare trying to play 30 Dom cards in the last 20 minutes.

I would worry a bit that it overpowered the attack cards, especially when looking at the minimum scoops category.

Other things that might help? As was suggested in another thread, stacking Dom cards, so it isn’t a giant list to scroll through. It would also be nice to have the ability to choose to play multiple copies of cards at one time.

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

<—— still supports card limits

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

scullyangel Posted:

This is an interesting idea, god knows it’s a nightmare trying to play 30 Dom cards in the last 20 minutes.

I would worry a bit that it overpowered the attack cards, especially when looking at the minimum scoops category.

bumuming it won’t put too much strain on the server, we could have a variable time limit based on the card played. As in, if I play bumhole it’s a 15 minute wait, but if I play Peeping Tom it’s only a 5 minute wait. (Numbers are examples only)

If there is a timestamped log already kept for cards played in a round, then I imagine it could be done by adding a log check to the card mechanic.

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

I’m really not sure about server lag issues in implementing this, because I don’t know what the database structure looks like. I guess the simplest thing would be to just add a time counter for the last card played, and check if more than 10 minutes have pbumed since then whenever you try to play a card. Or maybe a timer similar to the ones we have now, “5 minutes 21 seconds until you can play a Domination Card” or something.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

This is a much better idea than the cards-per-day limit I had previously put forth.

I support this idea.

LROSENBERG19-

[WeChall]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I don’t know, there should be an option to disable that “Someone did it!” screen when you log in because that is annoying

Genesis

[Brainfreeze]

Level 10 Camwhore

please dominate me <3 <3 <3

Skyreal Posted:

The last few minutes of Domination got pretty hectic, and laggy, and confusing.

I don’t know Sky, I think this is what makes Domination as fun as it is! For this PvP portion of Forumwarz, if you choose to stock up on cards because you don’t feel like getting medals or think that you won’t be able to for the round, then you should be freely allowed to use those cards at the last minute to just male reproductive organishly screw people over or so that you can help your klan members.

Earning scoops by yourself is something anyone can do. I don’t see any unfair advantage one player might have over another player. If you think you can’t earn a ton of scoops for not being in raiding klans or spending thousands of flezz on Blackjack, then that’s your own problem for not putting in the extra time and effort into the game. The options are there for everyone, a person just needs to go after it.

Especially now with the raiding nerf, not everyone in a klan will be getting the scoops earned in a raid nor as many scoops that used to be possible. Putting another limitation over this by making card play restricted would make Domination boring for me.

I feel like I’m in the minority when I say this, but I would rather not have any restrictions placed on Domination Cards play.

ToriForte

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 16 Camwhore

“Attention Slut”

It seems to me that some sort of time limit would make sense. Right now, it seems like domination is meant to be played mostly at the last few minutes, which can’t be fun, or good for lag. I would like to see mechanics implemented that encourage people to play Domination all throughout the week rather than at the last possible moment.

Lust

[The Knights of LOL]

Level 18 Camwhore

Tubmail me for free flezz!! More mails = more flezz

ToriForte Posted:

It seems to me that some sort of time limit would make sense. Right now, it seems like domination is meant to be played mostly at the last few minutes, which can’t be fun, or good for lag. I would like to see mechanics implemented that encourage people to play Domination all throughout the week rather than at the last possible moment.

Actually, that last 20 minutes last week when there were cards flying everywhere was the most fun I’ve ever had on Forumwarz. Playing cards throughout the week would be stupid boring. If you want stupid boring pvp, play chess on Yahoo Games Log in to see images!

JThizz

[Brainfreeze]

Level 24 Emo Kid

“Bleeding Heart”

Lust Posted:

Actually, that last 20 minutes last week when there were cards flying everywhere was the most fun I’ve ever had on Forumwarz. Playing cards throughout the week would be stupid boring. If you want stupid boring pvp, play chess on Yahoo Games Log in to see images!

its interesting for the players who are able to play during that time, but what about the people who actually have something to do with their lives at that time?

Like Bubo said, there could be a time limit on each card.

Limiting either how many times you can use that card on the group or specific person,

or if they have been carded already, nobody can use that same card on them for a set time.

Legolas

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’d definitely like “cooldowns” on card use.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

LROSENBERG1996 Posted:

I don’t know, there should be an option to disable that “Someone did it!” screen when you log in because that is annoying

Double-QFT

pOOpey

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

JThizz Posted:

its interesting for the players who are able to play during that time, but what about the people who actually have something to do with their lives at that time?

Like Bubo said, there could be a time limit on each card.

Limiting either how many times you can use that card on the group or specific person,

or if they have been carded already, nobody can use that same card on them for a set time.

Actually, the fact that it’s a short amount of time to focus on FW in my week makes it more manageable. As it is, I keep FW open in bg, and swap to it whenever I have a pause. I suspect a lot of others do the same.

So big time gaps like 10min between card plays would kill off the evening after work crowd (‘cause to play 15 cards, you would need to be at your computer from 18h to 21h EST, or 14h to 17h here on the pacific)

If you still want to limit card use, do it on a 10hour deadline basis: max 10 cards can be played from 11h to 21h EST (7h to 17h PST) Wed, another 10 in the 1h-11h (21h-7h) bracket Tues to Wed night, and unlimited on Tuesday.

Also, limit the play of offensive cards against any single player to like 5 or 6, for each of these last 2 waves. This means if they are gunning for you, you will be cut down to size by Tues night, and have 24 hours to squirm and plead for mercy.

Then you’ll have a 3 stage attack, with like half a day for the teamsters to copulate cogitate between drop times, enough card play to overwhelm, but not enough to bury any serious contender in a single wave.

OO

P.M.S. (In short, for the Trolls who can’t read big sentences Log in to see images!)

3 card phases:

Weeklong — Wed/21h to Wed/2h — Unlimited play, Unlimited played against

Morning — Wed/2h to Wed/11h — Play 10, max 6 played against you

Evening — Wed/11h to Wed/21h — Play 10, max 6 played against you

pOOpey edited this message on 03/28/2008 2:24PM

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

LROSENBERG1996 Posted:

See, I like that, because it’s satisfying to know that when someone comes back on, they get to see they were subjected to 4 Shotguns, 3 Thieves & 3 Destroyers, and their 14 precious Lemon & Pistachio Scoops are now all gone. It’s the mental/morale part of the game.

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

Anyone who belongs to the evening after work crowd doesn’t stand a chance in the more active medal teams. The current situation is if you’re not online in the last 2 minutes, then you have almost no chance at a medal. The exception would be if you had a high scoop count and somehow turned out on top for total scoops in the mess of bumholes/shotguns/whatevers. The lag just adds to the confusion. Even players who were present during the last two seconds don’t know for sure who won.

The big picture I’m trying to paint here is that there is far too much luck involved. Picking the right cards and using them on the right people has less of an effect that being on during those last minutes and just firing away.

Let me stress that what offends me are lag and chaos. IMHO Domination was not supposed to be about last-minute thrashing around and 10 minutes of excitement. It was supposed to be about getting rewarded for excelling in certain areas of Forumwarz.

Feel free to disagree, though.

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

I’ll chime in here again with my two cents:

Since Domination is really the only part of the game that continues after you finish ep. 1 most people are going to keep playing it. I think as more players metagame the process of winning the more streamlined it will become until the dev team changes something. Then the process starts over again.

I agree with the OP in the sense that there aren’t too many unknown “working” strategies out there other than get the most scoops and don’t get carded. I fully support some kind of limited card use but at this point since I see the same medal winners every week using the same strategy it really all comes down to luck in the end.

Domination will hopefully evolve over the next few months and new techniques will need to be discovered to consistently win but currently we have what we have.

Wyrd

Avatar: 2782 2011-10-31 19:56:49 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

I tried to get over myself, but I'm just too awesome!

Skyreal Posted:

Let me stress that what offends me are lag and chaos. IMHO Domination was not supposed to be about last-minute thrashing around and 10 minutes of excitement. It was supposed to be about getting rewarded for excelling in certain areas of Forumwarz.

Also, the far too critical last-minute card frenzy being in the middle of the night for people who are part of the European crowd excludes a lot of us no matter how well we gather scoops.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!