Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pumpkin so who else likes buildr, fundamentally?

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I do, certainly. I think CZ should consider running a few quick fixes past it even before the dom fixes get put in place, though I like dom too.

1. limit the number of entries a person can submit for forum idea.

2. completely remove all image and youtube linking in buildr categories.

Those are two that I think are most important. AFter those (and this will take more time and a lot more thought) a reworking of the scoring algorithm is in order, imo.

SanDyk

Avatar: 175636 2012-01-01 09:50:12 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I am the internet equivelent of Jon Stewart! Except less funny...

Fortunato Posted:

1. limit the number of entries a person can submit for forum idea.

Great idea. Probably the only reason why Bashy wins with forumbuildr constantly is that all of the forum ideas are his (slight exaggeration but you get what I mean). The only thing is how many to limit them by? Only one per week sounds reasonable but I’m sure there will be plenty of people out there who disagree with that.

Fortunato Posted:

2. completely remove all image and youtube linking in buildr categories.

I don’t understand this. I don’t see why you shouldn’t put pics in normal/angry posts… actually that’s the only place I can think you should be able to put pics/youtube vids.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

SanDyk Posted:

Great idea. Probably the only reason why Bashy wins with forumbuildr constantly is that all of the forum ideas are his (slight exaggeration but you get what I mean). The only thing is how many to limit them by? Only one per week sounds reasonable but I’m sure there will be plenty of people out there who disagree with that.

I agree with this. I’m tired of seeing 4000 forum ideas all by the same person, thereby locking a win down.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

SanDyk Posted:

I don’t understand this. I don’t see why you shouldn’t put pics in normal/angry posts… actually that’s the only place I can think you should be able to put pics/youtube vids.

See the current submission list, complete with table breaking giant images. Not to mention that sometimes the images and videos in question get removed. How does the forum look when they are? Like crap, that’s how.

SanDyk

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

Fortunato Posted:

See the current submission list, complete with table breaking giant images. Not to mention that sometimes the images and videos in question get removed. How does the forum look when they are? Like crap, that’s how.

Fair point, but if images are too large then surely they could be scaled down like they are in these forums?

As for when videos/pics that get deleted leaving broken links that can’t really be helped. I suppose you could host the pics on forumwarz but I doubt that CZ want more of their bandwidth used just so there can be pictures on the forums.

I can’t see a nice solution for this one Log in to see images! SanDyk edited this message on 08/31/2009 2:12PM

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

I add block all pics and youtubes in the community forums anyway, just sayin’.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Amasius Posted:

I add block all pics and youtubes in the community forums anyway, just sayin’.

That’s cuz you’re a speed freak and it helps the connection to load fewer things.

Anyway, I support both points. I support removing images for the reasons Fortunato mentioned, as well as the fact that they’re usually posted without permission and published on another website: i.e. copyright infringement.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

I'm a fabulous person who goes back on Dom ties

SanDyk Posted:

Great idea. Probably the only reason why Bashy wins with forumbuildr constantly is that all of the forum ideas are his (slight exaggeration but you get what I mean).

I disagree. The only reason he wins is because people voted for them. Like it or not, many of his ideas are good. And while I don’t like his monopoly over forum ideas (after all, I’m one of his many competitors), I unwittingly vote for good ideas which turn out to be his from time to time. If any of Bashy’s idea sucks, natural selection will do its job and shoot it down.

Fortunato Posted:

Table breaking giant images are annoying, but at the same time they’re voted down quickly. As for the removal of images, perhaps there should be a rule on using only free image hostings which never remove them? Or Log in to see images! could choose to host those image themselves. As for videos, there is nothing much to be done about them.

At least using images in Typical Posts and Angry Replies should continue to be allowed. An image worth more than a thousand words, after all.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Kittysan Posted:

Table breaking giant images are annoying, but at the same time they’re voted down quickly. As for the removal of images, perhaps there should be a rule on using only free image hostings which never remove them? Or Log in to see images! could choose to host those image themselves. As for videos, there is nothing much to be done about them.

At least using images in Typical Posts and Angry Replies should continue to be allowed. An image worth more than a thousand words, after all.

no, see, people submit other people’s images. Lolcats. Memes. Image macros that are years old. You can’t exactly do that with text.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

I’ve always agreed about killing img and youtube tags, and we’ve been talking about reducing max submissions and making it tougher to increase/maintain your buildr score for some time.

Unfortunately, forumbuildr revisions is tied to our Domination revision schedule and just hasn’t been considered top priority, this week’s shenanigans notwithstanding.

Kittysan Posted:

I disagree. The only reason he wins is because people voted for them. Like it or not, many of his ideas are good. And while I don’t like his monopoly over forum ideas (after all, I’m one of his many competitors), I unwittingly vote for good ideas which turn out to be his from time to time. If any of Bashy’s idea sucks, natural selection will do its job and shoot it down.

This is just really hard to believe. You’re looking at Fran is Fat right now, it seems like it proves the opposite.

His ideas are ideas for forums, not parodies of forums. It’s hard for some of us to wrap our heads around.

SanDyk

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

Kittysan Posted:

I disagree. The only reason he wins is because people voted for them.

It’s hard to answer this without a sarcastic comment. Obviously things win cause they have the most votes, that’s how this game works, but when a majority of forum subs are probably his anyway it’s difficult for him NOT to win. I don’t know, perhaps people should make more forum subs to oppose his ideas but people are usually put off by that since it’s easier to get a winning entry in other sections than this one Log in to see images!

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Shii Posted:

That’s cuz you’re a speed freak and it helps the connection to load fewer things.

If that’d be true I’d add block all images in my browser but I don’t. I don’t have a very fast Internet connection, so I can’t really rely on an optimal output of lemon scoops anyway. I just don’t like those pics and youtubes, they only show a lack of creativity.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Amasius Posted:

If that’d be true I’d add block all images in my browser but I don’t. I don’t have a very fast Internet connection, so I can’t really rely on an optimal output of lemon scoops anyway. I just don’t like those pics and youtubes, they only show a lack of creativity.

also true.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

1337xxxxxxxxxlolololololololololxxxxxxxxx1337 Posted:

This is just really hard to believe. You’re looking at Fran is Fat right now, it seems like it proves the opposite.

Well, yes, natural selection missed one. And see the result… Log in to see images!

I think intelligent design makes more sense as an analogy.

And I think your answer seems to indicate you didn’t get my point.

wtfmcnuggets

Avatar: 104315 Sat Apr 11 13:02:16 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 40 Troll

i finally grew a male reproductive organ

Submissions with an image or youtube link always get a downvote from me. I agree that it shows a lack of creativity. I’m not sure limiting the number of forum idea submissions is fair – if someone can come up with that many decent ideas, then I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to submit them. A better fix would be the introduction of buildr seasons, which has been suggested in the domination advisory board (and perhaps elsewhere).

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

I think intelligent design makes more sense as an analogy.

And I think your answer seems to indicate you didn’t get my point.

Which is…?

His ideas are ideas for forums, not parodies of forums. It’s hard for some of us to wrap our heads around.

Since when has the line been blurred? And, how can you draw the line between “ideas for forums” and “parodies of forums” anyway? After all, as long as there are subjects people are interested in, there are forums for them. Log in to see images!

Except for some extremely stupid ideas (forums for serial killers, stalkers, or other criminal activities), I can see people talking about those topics (yes, even Post-Apocalyptic Survival Society.) And if people talk about them, they’re subject to parodies.

Oh, and:

Fortunato Posted:

no, see, people submit other people’s images. Lolcats. Memes. Image macros that are years old. You can’t exactly do that with text.

Yes, you can. Texts, like images, can be copied and repeated. Old jokes that are decades old are still circulated today.

wtfmcnuggets Posted:

Submissions with an image or youtube link always get a downvote from me. I agree that it shows a lack of creativity.

Not always. What if the submitter create a new picture just for that submission? And as I said, text can be repeated too.

Not that I submit a lot of pictures or anything. But sometimes I feel a picture would do a job better than a long line of text.

Kittysan edited this message on 08/31/2009 4:05PM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Kittysan Posted:

Not always. What if the submitter create a new picture just for that submission? And as I said, text can be repeated too.

Honestly, that’s just naive. No one ever does that even for Itembuildr, where it’s supposedly a requirement.

No one ever makes their own pictures for Forumbuildr. Ever.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Shii Posted:

No one ever does that even for Itembuildr, where it’s supposedly a requirement.

That’s not exactly true. The vast majority don’t, but a few have.

They don’t do very well usually, but that’s besides the point.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!