Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics i need help with my homework...

lolbronnih

Avatar: 103335 2010-01-24 16:16:08 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 15 Camwhore

kinda looks like martha stewart while stirring

hi, i’m bronni, and am currently studying for my a-levels, (erm, kind of like an english version of whatever test you take in your last year in school)

one of my subject choices this year is history, and next year we’re going to study the American Civil War, and we were told that we had to prepare a presentation over the summer on an aspect of this war, and my lovely teacher gave me the american constitution.

i am quite excited to start learning about this whole era, but i’ve pretty much never done any American history whatsoever.. and i don’t exactly understand the constitution very much..

if there is anyone generous enough (and with a bit of time on their hands) to tell me ITT which parts of the constitution are relevant to this war- and also i think the confederacy made up their own one, and if anyone could tell me what they specifically changed and why, i’d be eternally grateful..

i know it’s a pain but will any of you pleaseplease help me??

ily all lots

xxxxxx

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

paying any BP?

lolbronnih

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 15 Camwhore

maybe, depends how helpful people are..

also just to add, copy and pasting from wikipedia is not acceptable

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I’ve been to antietam, it’s p cool and sobering, especially when you see the sign “in this field 20000 young men died in about fifteen minutes on this spot”

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Wikipedia’s actually pretty good for this…

Quick summary would be that the 10th Amendment says that any power not given to the federal government is reserved to the states, so the slave states argued that the feds shouldn’t interfere in their slaving.

Then when Lincoln was elected President the Confederate states seceded, bringing the Preamble to the Constitution into relevance; in his inaugural address Lincoln argued that the phrase “to form a more perfect union” implied that secession was illegal – that the federal government had been established as having power over the people directly rather than being an agreement between the states as the Articles of Confederacy had been.

The Confederacy wrote their own constitution, but it was mostly verbatim from the US constitution. They added some protection for slavery and added some rights for the states, took some other rights for the federal (confederal?) government. Full explanation here.

That help?

man-man edited this message on 08/28/2009 3:50PM

lolbronnih

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 15 Camwhore

thankyou v. much man-man…

although can anyone tell me what these words mean?

Preamble to the Constitution

inaugural address

“to form a more perfect union” (is this in the constitution?)

verbatim

xxxxxxxxx

ghax

Avatar: 80241 Thu Jul 02 20:10:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Camwhore

I love 12 inch fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs in my arse

Preamble to the Constitution – introduction, ie first section of the dogreat timesent

inaugural address – speech a president makes before taking office

“to form a more perfect union” (is this in the constitution?)

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect
Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the
common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings
of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this
Constitution for the United States of America. 

Yeah, it’s in the dogreat timesent.

verbatim – word for word

ghax edited this message on 08/28/2009 4:47PM

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

I can show you my paper on it, it has some stuff on the war that could help get you ideas flowing.

lolbronnih

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 15 Camwhore

Raepdog Posted:

I can show you my paper on it, it has some stuff on the war that could help get you ideas flowing.

that’d be lovely!!!

tubmail me or facebook or whatever

xxxxx ily

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Hi bronnih good luck on your A-levels and pls unblock me from facebook!

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Don’t forget to include a piece on amendments to the Constitution. And an analysis on whether America as a whole still holds true to the values and ideas espoused in tit’s first dogreat timesent.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Americans, they fought european imperialism to get their independence but then ended up having a large empire themselves.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Inertia Posted:

Americans, they fought european imperialism to get their independence but then ended up having a large empire themselves.

Irony is the only thing greater than sarcasm.

Irony > Sarcasm > Truth

burningpopsi-
cles

Avatar: 185740 Sun Jul 26 20:51:42 -0400 2009

[Everyday Regular N-
ormal Klan
]

Level 31 Troll

“Permafail”

Sarcasm Inc Posted:

Don’t forget to include a piece on amendments to the Constitution. And an analysis on whether America as a whole still holds true to the values and ideas espoused in tit’s first dogreat timesent.

That last bit is particularly interesting. You find that a lot of the values that the religious right is trying to push are completely unconstitutional, especially when it comes to civil liberties such as gay marriage and so-called ‘family values’. They claim to love america and all it stands for, and yet their ideals don’t seem to go beyond a sort of blindly patriotic nationalist fervour.

I’m somewhat of a libertarian myself (although not esp. politically), and i am a big admirer of the american constitution. I think that it’s an amazingly elegant and concise dogreat timesent.

Unfortunately, i can’t help you too much with the history; my interests are more philosophical. But in order to make learning fun, i suggest you watch some episodes of the show ‘Bull****’ by penn and teller; they do a lot of episodes about constitutional rights, in a lolerific way. Also, check out www.nationstates.com – i think it would be a great tool for a presentation about how govt. policy works.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

burningpopsicles Posted:

I’m somewhat of a libertarian myself (although not esp. politically), and i am a big admirer of the american constitution. I think that it’s an amazingly elegant and concise dogreat timesent.

Unfortunately, i can’t help you too much with the history; my interests are more philosophical.

I’ve fallen in love with you. AGAIN.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

kittiejenn Posted:

Schoolhouse rock. Log in to see images!

Moodburger

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Might want to throw in a very quick recap of how the Constitution originally came to be, of course. (IE patchwork from a bunch of philosophers and thinkers in Europe)

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

bronnih Posted:

if there is anyone generous enough (and with a bit of time on their hands) to tell me ITT which parts of the constitution are relevant to this war- and also i think the confederacy made up their own one, and if anyone could tell me what they specifically changed and why, i’d be eternally grateful.

As was noted, the federal government had no authority to tell the states what to do wrt slavery; it could only pbum laws regarding the importation of slaves (that’s in the Constitution).

The invasion of a foreign country which Lincoln initiated was not only a war of aggression but unconstitutional—no declaration was ever pbumed by Congress. Further, Lincoln the Petty Tyrant arbitrarily suspended habeas corpus (with a fishy rubber-stamp by a lack-of-quorum Congress)—which only Congress can do. He had newspapers that disagreed with him shut down. He tried to get the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court arrested for treason for reminding Lincoln that he had no authority to suspend habeas corpus.

As for secession—there is nothing in the Constitution to prevent it, so there’s really no relevant part there.

The CSA Constitution did protect slavery and did set a limit on all internal improvement schemes, i.e. government make-work programs for infrastructure.

Halo300010

Level 6 Hacker

“Script Kiddie”

man-man Posted:

Wikipedia’s actually pretty good for this…

Quick summary would be that the 10th Amendment says that any power not given to the federal government is reserved to the states, so the slave states argued that the feds shouldn’t interfere in their slaving.

Then when Lincoln was elected President the Confederate states seceded, bringing the Preamble to the Constitution into relevance; in his inaugural address Lincoln argued that the phrase “to form a more perfect union” implied that secession was illegal – that the federal government had been established as having power over the people directly rather than being an agreement between the states as the Articles of Confederacy had been.

The Confederacy wrote their own constitution, but it was mostly verbatim from the US constitution. They added some protection for slavery and added some rights for the states, took some other rights for the federal (confederal?) government. Full explanation here.

That help?

My language teacher said that wiki’s are not too reliable for sources of information.

he said use another site to vetrify the info, before using it.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!