Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help How much physical feeling do you have in a dream?

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

I dunno why but I thought you aren’t supposed to be able to feel physical touch or taste stuff within a dream.

Thinking back on recent dreams, this is not true for me.

discuss

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

I often confuse my dreams for things that happened in real life. It ****es me off. Log in to see images!

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

Throughout my dreams, i always seem to subvert any time of physical feeling through one method or another, I wake up just before it becomes inevitable.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

Bill_Murray_Fan_7383 Posted:

I often confuse my dreams for things that happened in real life. It ****es me off. Log in to see images!

This happens to me, too, though it’s only temporary when I just woke up and normally my “normal” memory and “dreams” memory gets sorted after a while.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

I’ve heard that it’s supposed to be impossible to read in a dream – that the part of your brain concerned with recognising words is in the opposite hemisphere from where dreaming originates, but I’m sure I’ve seen recognisable words before.

Could be that, whilst dreaming, not all of your brain is active, so what you can do in-dream depends on what areas are ‘switched on’ during the dream. Pain or the expectation thereof might be enough of a jolt to wake you up though… maybe the same with any sensation. I think I’ve had limited sensation in a dream before, but the only specific example I can remember was just the last little bit of a dream before I woke up so the dream and waking reality might have been merging into each other.

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

I can never feel in my dreams, though sometimes i can realize its a dream, upon which i wake up.

Gnonthgol

Level 21 Hacker

“Buffer Overflower”

You are not sensing in a dream but you can experiance the sensation of sensing.

In normal operation the brain works like this: senses -> identifying -> filtering -> puting into context -> reaction -> physical movment

But in a dream this is: memmory -> putting into context -> reaction -> mental movment

Even if you realy have no physical fealing in a dream the brain does not know that because it gets stimulated like normal.

It is worth mentioning that you are not recording memmory in a dream. All memmory is confined to about 3sec of real time dream, but since your brain is using a smaler part it works faster and 3sec feels like at least 5min.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Gnonthgol Posted:

You are not sensing in a dream but you can experiance the sensation of sensing.

Surely the “sensation of sensing” is a tautology – I experience sensations when I sense stuff in the real world, the only difference between dream sensations and waking sensations is that dreams don’t correspond to anything in the actual real world.

From within your own head, there is no real difference – your consciousness is presented with images or sounds or whatever that, while you’re experiencing them, seem real. It’s only when you wake up that you can look back and think “you know, it doesn’t really make sense that everything changed when I turned around, and that fish turned into a monkey”.

What’s interesting is whether dreams can draw on all forms of sensation (like touch, smell, taste etc.) or just a limited subset of what we experience when awake. If the latter, then we would be able to know for sure that we’re awake by testing those senses – sniff something or pinch yourself. If dreams can be, in effect, a complete simulation of reality then we lose the ability to distinguish and have to chalk a point up to Descartes.

tl;dr – Whether it’s coming from memories or sensory neurons, it seems the same at the time you experience it.

man-man edited this message on 08/19/2009 9:40PM

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

um every one of my senses work while dreaming

the only difference is i can’t think as well as when i’m awake

BloodyDemise

Avatar: 121820 2010-06-13 01:05:56 -0400

[Throne of Blood]

Level 60 Emo Kid

“Final Cut Pro”

man-man Posted:

From within your own head, there is no real difference – your consciousness is presented with images or sounds or whatever that, while you’re experiencing them, seem real. It’s only when you wake up that you can look back and think “you know, it doesn’t really make sense that everything changed when I turned around, and that fish turned into a monkey”.

This; a dream can seem very real, but a few seconds awake and it becomes obvious that it was a pale imitation.

Although one time I got my leg burned by a lightsaber, and it hurt for a full ten seconds after I woke up. No explanation on that one.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

BloodyDemise Posted:

Although one time I got my leg burned by a lightsaber, and it hurt for a full ten seconds after I woke up. No explanation on that one.

I have a low-grade example of the same – one dream ended with a bear sort of pawing/scratching at me, and when I woke up I was itchy in that same spot.

Could be that the pain in your leg and my itching were happening anyway outside of the dream for whatever reason, and it got incorporated into the dream with something to explain the sensation (a lightsaber or a bear)

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

man-man Posted:

Could be that the pain in your leg and my itching were happening anyway outside of the dream for whatever reason, and it got incorporated into the dream with something to explain the sensation (a lightsaber or a bear)

Yeah, ive had falling off my bed, and multiple songs incorporated into dreams. That is, if it doesn’t wake me up. It usually will be in a manner where something leads up to it though, which is kind of odd.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

You do not use any senses, nor do you have physical feeling in a dream. You do however, think you have senses, and think you have physical feeling. Oftentimes during a dream I can be running, feel no strain, but think I feel strain.

The bit about reading is that you can read in a dream, however if you are reading off a piece of paper, if you were to turn away and continue reading, the words would change.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!