Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Drugs Luck versus Charisma

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Luck 0, Charisma 3 (sold for Frugality 1):

15 items  7,905

Pirate Flag
Bicycle x 4
Empty Gas Pump x 2
Anvil x 2
Retro Calendar
Seasonal Centerpiece
Genuine Asimov™ OS IX 
Toy Eyeball 
Motherboard 
Vinyl Record

Luck 1, Charisma 3 (sold for Frugality 1):

14 items,  9,410

Used Asthma Inhaler 
Motherboard x 2 
Fish Head 
“Magic” Mushroom 
Seasonal Centerpiece 
Deed to Indian Burial Ground 
Bicycle 
Children’s Playhouse Kit 
Anvil 
Chinese Takeaway x 2 
Empty Gas Pump 
Dried-Out Cheese

I’m going to duplicate exactly for tomorrow, see how/if things change.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

How much cred did you earn for those? Same standard run as Afterthotz has been doing?

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

man-man Posted:

How much cred did you earn for those? Same standard run as Afterthotz has been doing?

Yes. Same exact forums, same exact cred.

Afterthotz

Avatar: 187543 2010-01-24 16:13:10 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I lurk much better than I post - and my lurking skills really suck.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Good stuff

Much appreciated, MCB, welcome aboard Log in to see images!

Luck: 61

Charisma: 1

# of unique forums pwn’ed yesterday: 4

Cred gained yesterday: 60593

# of deliveries: 18

Total value of deliveries (Frugality 10):   49,712

Chinese Takeaway x1

Marble x1

Retro Calendar x1

Used Asthma Inhaler x1

“Magic” Mushroom x1

Expired Ground Pork x1

Fish Head x2

Children’s Playhouse Kit x1

Empty Gas Pump x1

McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ x2

Bicycle x3

Jew’s Harp x1

Pipe Organ x1

The Italian x1

Afterthotz edited this message on 11/11/2009 12:03PM

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

I’m not totally sure how to continue right now – the setup I have is just designed to take Luck, Char, cred gained and delivery value and then do some number shuffling. If we think the system involves tiers of items, and selection from within those tiers and complicated stuff like that, then I’m going to need to change how I record these runs.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

man-man Posted:

If we think the system involves tiers of items, and selection from within those tiers and complicated stuff like that, then I’m going to need to change how I record these runs.

Then you’re going to need to change how you record these runs.

IIRC, Charisma bumps you into brackets of possible deliverables, with a range of variety. Luck determines where in the bracket you get your stuff from.

(Numbers below used for example purposes only, and are not to be bumumed to be correct in any way shape or form. Theory IS bumumed to be correct.)

So let’s say there’s a bracket for Charisma 1-5, and in it are these flezz groupings:

1) 100-200
2) 201-400
3) 401-600
4) 601-800

Luck 1-5 means your deliveries come from group 1, 6-10 from group 2, 11-15 from group 3, 16-20 from group 4, with a randomization factor within the grouping of what specific items you get.

The Charisma 16-20 bracket has these groupings:

1) 1000-2000
2) 2001-4000
3) 4001-6000
4) 6001-8000

This is why we see Charisma as more important than Luck. You’d rather get 1 item from Charisma 16-20 and Luck 1, than 2 items from Charisma 1-5 with Luck 4.

What I think we’re trying to spade in this thread is:

1) What numbers define the Charisma brackets

2) Which items fall in each Charisma bracket

then

3) What numbers define the Luck brackets

4) Which items fall in each Luck bracket.

This will be a long, arduous process, especially when Ep3 comes out with presumably more junk and more brackets. But hey, what else are you going to spend your time on?

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

But hey, what else are you going to spend your time on?

Well right now I was going to go get some food. I may also have some work to do for uni and some TV to watch. Later I expect I will be sleeping for some considerable length of time, and then tomorrow brings fresh joy in the form of lectures and practical clbumes.

But hey, somewhere in the spaces I guess I’ll slot in figuring out how to keep track of the important numbers for this game Log in to see images!

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Since Cred is obviously also a factor, it would be safe to say that You’d have to find the way that works as well. Not so bad if the ranges are determined by (Cred x Charisma) but if it gets much more complex than that, the limit of doing 1 Forum a day (since any more would kill any chances of knowing which deliveries came from which pwn) will make this rather ****ty indeed to figure out.

If this is the case, you may want to start by finding the upper range since this is the most easily determined factor (You already have a lot of numbers which tell us around where it should be) and it’s also the one most people care about.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Dunatis Posted:

Since Cred is obviously also a factor, it would be safe to say that You’d have to find the way that works as well.

Well yeah. But it’s clear that the more cred the better. What we’re working on is how to maximize your Charisma/Luck, which applies no matter what cred you’re earning, and which is, as you say, what people are most interested in.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

Well yeah. But it’s clear that the more cred the better. What we’re working on is how to maximize your Charisma/Luck, which applies no matter what cred you’re earning, and which is, as you say, what people are most interested in.

To work out whether it’s best to maximise Charisma or Luck, the best approach would be to carry on as we were with collecting lots of run data and seeing what average results drop out. All in the knowledge that the system is more complicated than we care to investigate deeply (since we’re just looking at Char/Luck), but ignoring that we could still decide on a balance between the two stats.

Except the best thing wouldn’t quite be continuing as we are – the current approach is to standardise on a run and do it over and over again. If we want to avoid undue influence on the averages from the specifics of that one run then we’d be better off trying to approximate random runs to get a good spread of data. On the other hand, to actually figure out the formula properly, carefully controlled runs that are repeated make picking out each factor in isolation that much easier.

So, gentlemen, do we follow our current trajectory towards detail and specificity and trying to figure out the logic behind this stupid system, or do we take the easy way out and just grind up a whole bunch of data until the complicated factors average out and we just get an answer about Luck vs Charisma?

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

man-man Posted:

to actually figure out the formula properly, carefully controlled runs that are repeated make picking out each factor in isolation that much easier.

That’s what I’m planning on doing.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Yeah… just saying, for spading the formula that’s perfect (and I’d rather be doing that, it’s more interesting), but if we just wanted to know the luck/charisma tradeoff then it’s overkill.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

16 items,  7,335

Approxim-o™ Knife
Chinese Takeaway 
Bicycle x 4 
Children’s Playhouse Kit x 2 
Remote Control 
Seasonal Centerpiece 
Empty Gas Pump x 2 
Used Asthma Inhaler 
McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ 
Anvil 
Retro Calendar 

18 items,  9,173

Remote Control 
Bicycle x 5 
McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ x 2
Children’s Playhouse Kit x 2 
Vinyl Record 
Seasonal Centerpiece 
Motherboard x 2 
Abandoned Tire 
Chinese Takeaway 
Genuine Asimov™ OS IX 
Used Asthma Inhaler 

The interesting thing here is that the quantity of items went up, but the flezz values went down. It’ll be interesting to see if that trend continues tomorrow (if there’s a penalty for repeating forums).

Afterthotz

Avatar: 187543 2010-01-24 16:13:10 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I lurk much better than I post - and my lurking skills really suck.

Luck: 61

Charisma: 11

# of unique forums pwn’ed yesterday: 4

Cred gained yesterday: 60593

# of deliveries: 19

Total value of deliveries (Frugality 10):   53,221

Chinese Takeaway

Marble

Toy Eyeball

Dried-Out Cheese x2

Abandoned Tire

Human Skull

Fish Head

Playhouse Kit x2

Empty Gas Pump x2

McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™

Bicycle x2

Deed to Indian Burial Ground

Justin Timberlake’s Mobile Phone

Seasonal Centerpiece

The Color Orange

Eased some Charisma (61 Luck is my current attainable max for my ‘Oh So Secret Alt’ without raising Charisma) in there while I wait for Haxl again.
I see see good suggestions and plans for attack everywhere. Should I continue on my way (Running these 4 forums while increasing Charisma from base 1, then gently easing up luck after Charisma cap to see the improvement in quality of items) or would my time be better spent running a single forum a day and posting the items gained to help spade the delivery brackets?

Edit:Wow, that is an ugly, ugly paragraph – even for me.

Afterthotz edited this message on 11/12/2009 10:42AM

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

I’m trying but failing to come up with a useful way of storing this data, or any useful suggestions of what kind of runs would help.

To be clear on how we think the system works… we have 4 factors; cred-gained, unique forums pwned, luck and charisma. Are you saying that your amount of credgain selects a bracket to award items from, that charisma determines how many other, lower, brackets you also get items from, and that luck affects the value of the item you get from each bracket?

How does the proposed 40K/forum cap factor into this?

Or were the brackets divided by your amount of Charisma?

People still seem to get a fair few items with low Charisma, so does that imply a lower bound (0 charisma —> get x items, +some amount of char —> x+1 items)?

I’ve gone from thinking I knew what was going on, to not really having a clue.Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

man-man Posted:

I’ve gone from thinking I knew what was going on, to not really having a clue.Log in to see images!

That’s probably ET’s intention, the bastard. Log in to see images!

Probably there’s all sorts of things we should try, to figure out HOW to figure out what we’re doing. Boy I miss Escher right now. She was the queen of spading techniques.

I think we might be getting confused by mixing forum levels in our runs. I’m going to add some alts running just PP to see if the lower-end stuff continues coming. Because MAYBE we’re getting some stuff from lower brackets, and some from higher, and that’s confusing the issue.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

14 items,  7,218

Approxim-o™ Knife x 2 
Bicycle x 4 
Empty Gas Pump 
Human Skull 
Ironic Egg Timer 
Seasonal Centerpiece 
Fish Head 
Abandoned Tire 
McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ 
Genuine Asimov™ OS IX 

16 items,  7,900

Used Asthma Inhaler 
Bicycle x 3 
McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ x 2 
Anvil 
Retro Calendar 
Seasonal Centerpiece 
Empty Gas Pump 
Children’s Playhouse Kit 
Human Skull x 2 
Dishwashing Brush 
Motherboard 
Tomato Soup Can 

Now the 1-forum guy, who probably should’ve been bumped to 3 charisma Log in to see images!

Luck 1, Charisma 1 (sold for Frugality 1), 48304 cred:

6 items,  3,616

Jew’s Harp 
Bicycle 
McBuggy Anti-Anti Virus™ 
Empty Gas Pump 
Anvil 
Toy Eyeball 

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

I updated the list of junk items to cover prices when sold at 1 Frugality and when sold at 10 Frugality (I think it used purchase prices before, but that’s hardly as useful and has a very huge range. Plus it would take forever to get them all.)

That should help you get comparative prices for MCB and your deliveries since he is selling at 1 Frugality and you at 10.

Prexy

Level 12 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

It doesn’t matter how many flezz I get because I always spend it all playing ****ing rock paper scissors. IS THERE ANY WAY OF DISABLING GAMBLEBOT??? Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Prexy Posted:

IS THERE ANY WAY OF DISABLING GAMBLEBOT??? Log in to see images!

Yes.

Don’t open it in the first place.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!