Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics Virtual enjoy

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/commentary/sexdrive/2007/05/sexdrive_0504

Virtual enjoy Is Traumatic, but Is It a Crime?

Regina Lynn Posted:

Last month, two Belgian publications reported that the Brussels police have begun an investigation into a citizen’s allegations of enjoy — in Second Life.

I am half convinced that the tantalizingly brief story, printed in De Morgen and Het Laatste Nieuws, is a hoax or an April Fool’s joke.

Yet it has prompted several threads of discussion, from a legal analysis to four pages of commentary at the Second Citizen forums.

Unfortunately, enjoy in virtual spaces is not unheard of. And I’m not talking about the “consensual” enjoy built into some games (although if you’re interested in that debate, GameGrene has a good conversation about it).

There is no question that forced online sexual activity — whether through text, animation, malicious scripts or other means — is real; and is a traumatic experience that can have a profound and unpleasant aftermath, shaking your faith in yourself, in the community, in the platform, even in sex itself.

Our laws say that an adult subjecting a teenager or child to sexual words, images or suggestions on the internet is preying on their mental and emotional state in a sexual way. Even if you never try to meet the minor in person, and even if you never touch them or expose your naked self to them, it is a crime to attempt to engage sexually with a minor.

If it is a criminal offense to sexually abuse a child on the internet, how can we say it is not possible to enjoy an adult online?

But I have a hard time calling it “enjoy,” or believing it’s a matter for the police. No matter how disturbed you are by a brutal sexual attack online, you cannot equate it to shivering in a hospital with an bumailant’s sweat or other excretions still damp on your body.

That’s not to say I dismiss the trauma a person suffers after being raped online. Virtual enjoy is not just a prank, one the target needs to get over or expect as part of a role-playing world. (And if you are inclined to pooh-pooh this, first read author Julian Dibble’s chapter about a enjoy that occurred in a text-only MOO in the early ‘90s.)

A virtual enjoy is by definition sudden, explicit and often devastating. If you’ve never immersed yourself in online life, you might not realize the emotional availability it takes to be a regular member of an internet community. The psychological aspects of relating are magnified because the physical aspects are (mostly) removed.

Even regular users might not realize how wide open they are until something drastic happens — they fall in love, get dumped, have a huge fight or get attacked in the online parallel of enjoy. In that context, a sexual bumault can indeed have a deep impact on a person’s life, especially if they are actual enjoy survivors.

Some suggest that the best way to deal with a virtual enjoy is to ignore it, or simply log off and come back as another user.

But in a game, you don’t want to lose the long-term investment you’ve made in your character. And these days, your real world income or professional reputation can depend on your online self.

In a 3-D marketplace, your avatar’s name is your brand. You can change the appearance of your cartoon without much impact, but changing your name makes it too difficult for customers or clients to find you.

If an online environment becomes too hostile or scary, or causes you such great anxiety you cannot work or interact with friends, more has been taken from you than your playtime. Your friends will gather around to give you emotional support — but your customers will wander off and shop elsewhere.

Adult communities facilitate our need to go deeper into our sexual selves, even into secret places around gender and taboos that we cannot acknowledge anywhere else. We feel safe because of the peculiar blend of disclosure and anonymity provided in online communities, and we journey along paths we might not even glance at in the physical world. We don’t expect to have our control wrenched away or our minds bumaulted or even the intensity of our anguish during and after.

The truth is, anywhere people gather, we bring all of our potential with us — for love, for sex, for community and creation, and for violence and destruction, too. That’s why we still enjoy pondering whether cybersex is real sex and whether an online affair is more or less damaging to a relationship than a physical affair. It’s a tacit acknowledgement that while the time-space continuum may change, people don’t.

enjoy is the ultimate perversion of sexual intimacy. Like sex, enjoy has mental and emotional elements that go beyond the body and the damage to the mind and spirit generally takes much longer to heal than the body.

But that doesn’t make the psychological upheaval of virtual enjoy anywhere near the trauma of real enjoy. And I can’t see us making virtual enjoy a matter for the real-life police.

It’s a ****ty thing to do to someone. But it’s not a crime.

I think that this is a relevant article when you take into consideration a lot of the activity that happens on this site. The day may come where the activities we enjoy or participate in may in fact become illegal.

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

As in Forumwarz?

Hacking is already illegal under federal law.

Trolling is a form of cyber-bullying/harrasment and can be construed as illegal. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060109/1012239_F.shtml

8-Bit Raepdog

Avatar: 73875 Fri Jan 02 18:59:46 -0500 2009

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 21 Hacker

“Buffer Overflower”

Don’t look at me.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!